Ballantyne Elementary 5

Posted November 23, 2014
This is my first year at BES. I have been very pleased with the attention and concern the principal of this school has shown! I feel Dr. Mazurek goes above and beyond to enure parents feel a very open-door policy with her. I had some concerns with my son and some challenges he's been dealing with and in addition to his teacher, she has been wonderful. I feel she sincerely cares about her school, parents, teachers and the well-being of her students. If I've ever had to email or call her, she's alwaays replied or returned a call in a very timely manner. I look forward to a couple more years here until my son goes to middle school.

Ballantyne Elementary 5

Posted October 20, 2014
I am pleased with personalized attention my children receive from their teachers. As a result, they are performing way above average.

Posted September 30, 2014
We just moved from out of state to Ballantyne Elementary this year. I have had the worst school year so far. This is the first school where I have had to physically go in and speak to the principal because my daughter is not getting the proper instruction. We are coming from a school district that cared about their students more than tests scores and the teachers were nurturing and fabulous at instruction as well.. Here they have a very militant way of teaching and expect all kids to be cookie cutter and learn exactly the same way. I am looking to move her or our family out of the CMS school district! They suck!

Ballantyne Elementary 4

Posted August 26, 2014
Very diverse and very progressive with technology. Wish the building was large enough to accommodate all students however. Most of the staff has been great.

Ballantyne Elementary 2

Posted August 16, 2014
We moved to the Ballantyne area 5yrs ago specifically to attend BES based on early test score research and tried to ignore the negative reviews we heard thinking its all in the individual experience-but unfortunately they are all true. And now you can see it in the declining test scores too. The main problem seems to be the Principal and her leadership. More than 1/2 of the staff is not happy and does not feel supported therefore turn over is higher than avg at this school and ultimately the kids suffer. If you are looking for a rich warm caring environment--look further b/c unfortunately BES is not at all the school we envisioned for our kids-we are exploring options for private school if this yr is another disappointment. To the admin at BES listen to your parents,staff and most importantly kids after all it should be a community not a dictatorship.

Posted July 31, 2014
lunch is only 18 minutes as supposed to 30 minutes. My kids complain about their stomachs hurting and admins all they can say is " it's the teacher's fault". They don't do anything to correct the problem. In the meantime, students are suffering because they don't have time to eat properly.

Ballantyne Elementary 2

Posted June 09, 2014
I'm afraid the negative reviews are accurate. The school lacks a warm caring environment in which young children can thrive. In general, there is a lack of proper communication at all levels. From my experience, I found my child's teacher very uncommunicative. None of the progress report cards I received this year had a single word of teacher remark on it and I cannot understand how that can be. I can only attribute it to a lack of interest and indifference on tne part of the teacher. The children are not challenged enough. Discipline and good behavior are not enforced. I was terribly disappointed with my child's year at school and my impression was it was neither productive nor enjoyable for her.

Posted June 01, 2014
A kindergarten teacher is supposed to be nurturing and help foster a life long love of learning. Not my daughters teacher . I moved her out of this school after the winter break. The admin and teacher were awful. Not caring at all.

Posted April 05, 2014
All of the negative reviews are 100% accurate. My son has been attending BES for 3 years but this will be his last as we will be sending him to private school in the fall. The principal is horrible. She is rude and unapproachable. She treats her teachers poorly and the lack of morale is very apparent. There is a high turnover rate in teachers and student behavior problems are brushed aside. Some children belong in a detention enter rather than an elementary school. Children can't keep their hands off each other and discipline and consequences for poor behavior are nonexistent. Test scores have dropped tremendously. The principal needs to go and then maybe this school will be the great school it should be. Good riddance.

Posted March 24, 2014
I wish I had better reviews for this school. As a parent who was going to place their two children here, it stopped at the front office. Sadly, all of the negative reviews are very true here....the front office staff less is than welcoming, not helpful in the least, and rude, rude, rude, on both of my encounters with them! I really tried to make this school work, but I can't imagine being an actual parent there and having to speak with them about something important.....And, it seems as if it trickles down from the principle. I can't imagine sending my children here.....what an unfortunate circumstance.......and the test scores have plummeted over the last few years as well! Something is clearly wrong here...to those who have great experiences here I am thankful you do, but clearly, this school isn't for everyone.

Ballantyne Elementary
15425 Scholastic Drive, Charlotte, NC  28277
Last modified Ballantyne Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ballantyne Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top