Public charter
Charlotte, NC

Posted August 21, 2015
This is our daughter's first year at Corvian. She's in Kindergarten. I have a background in early childhood/elementary education and as a first time parent this school has eased all my worries so far! Our daughter loves it and everyone is so friendly! I feel like we are receiving a private school education without the tuition. The staggered entry (and more!) for Kindergarten has been wonderful. I could just go on and on! AND as far as the negative complaints....I have not witnessed any of that!

Corvian Community School 2

Posted August 04, 2015
We have been at Corvian for a couple years now and have gone from really loving it to greatly disliking it. The school's executive director saw the need for another charter and started one which is admirable but she has no background in education and is running a school and making all of the decisions. It doesn't help matters that she is quite cold and seems to be a complete narcissist. There is a high turnover rate with students (especially in the higher grades) leaving to go elsewhere. That speaks volumes. Classes are often chaotic with little control even though there are two teachers in each classroom. There is an inner circle at the school as some others have pointed out and if the director doesn't like you it is glaringly obvious. Until changes are made in the school's administration nothing good will come. The director did a good thing but now should step aside and let someone who knows what they are doing lead.

Corvian Community School 2

Posted July 15, 2015
We attended Corvian for a year and a half. I feel like the administration is lacking and leaves much to be desired. In my opinion, the philosophy and academics are not for every child, it seems geared more toward children with behavioral issues. The elementary building is very small and cramped, almost unbearable when you go to watch a play or attend a class party. I also felt like there are a handful of parents that are an inner circle, they run all of the committees and seem reluctant for help from newer families. My child was happy there and felt loved but, at the same time, we are happy we transferred and are in a more rigorous academic program now.

Posted May 14, 2015
Keeping this short and sweet - CCS is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They truly care about every child!!!

Posted April 30, 2015
Wow!!! I wanted to wait until the end of the school year to write a review and I am still so impressed with our little community. My child has never been happier at a school. This positive change has made a love for learning we had yet to see in our child. The administration is amazing, teachers and staff are amazing, the academics are amazing, the nurturing attitude is amazing and this school is just amazing. I could go on!!!! I'm so blessed we are a part of this school and wish every child had this kind of well rounded education.

Posted April 26, 2015
Funny when you read reviews how you can focus on the negative. I read where some of the negative reviews mentioned other charter schools. When you look the other schools up there ratings are no better if not worse. The founder of the school may not have " an educational background" but she does have business acumen which I would take any day. She has Admin staff that share the vision of what Corvian is all about. Yes the school parted ways late last year with 2 admin staff since you couldn't have 3 directors. For some one to claim their child went backwards? The school is Clique? You can't please everyone I can only say our children have done phenomenal. That's really all we care about. If this school as 10 negative reviews out of 500 plus students maybe the negative people need to be somewhere else. Something tells me no matter where they go they will find fault.

Posted April 08, 2015
Every school has it's complaints from disgruntled patents. We have been so happy and I think each year will continue to be even better. I will say our director of elementary school has no experience running a school and lacks enthusiasm and warmth. She doesn't have the personality I would expect from a principal. It would be nice to have a principal who is fun, involved with all the kids and warm. However, because the school is run so well and teachers and staff are beyond amazing I can't ask for much more. We have been to 2 other schools and this has by far been the best experience. My child loves going to school and is learning and growing.

Corvian Community School 1

Posted April 03, 2015
Corvian's philosophy is great however the school itself is run like a circus. I have older kids and have never seen anything like it. One week they try one thing then change it then try something else. I felt like my child was a guinea pig and my child's education really took a horribly turn for the worst. The director. I don't even know where to begin. She has made my child cry, she has been extremely rude to me and my family, very unprofessional and it was very clear how uneducated in the educational field she was when I spoke to her. I could tell it was only going to get worse so we left immediately!! We have been very pleased with our new school and I have zero regrets about leaving Corvian. We could not run away fast enough!!!

Posted March 22, 2015
Every school has its ups and downs and every school has disgruntled parents. That is just a fact. Every school is not going to please everyone. You have to find the right school for your family. Corvian is a unique school that truly and I mean truly cares about the whole child. Teachers work endlessly to meet the needs of children and do not think of their "job" as a job, it is a passion and let me tell you it shows. The administration are all very accommodating and helpful to support their staff as well as help parents in situations where they have concerns. There are many schools in our area and you just have to find the right fit for your child and family. I would guarantee a lot of the negative parents had a bad experience because Corvian is just not the right fit for the family and educational beliefs. Corvian truly is an amazing school that far exceeds my hopes for both my children's educational and social needs. Are there things to work on? Sure! Every school has things to improve upon, but this school will give your child 110% dedication and nothing less. They truly care about the whole child.

Posted March 22, 2015
We absolutely love this school! Maybe if CMS schools had more business minded leadership, we wouldn't be forced to look elsewhere. We had one child go to our home school for a year and it was run like a zoo. Several teachers there shouldn't have even been employed. Janitor was found sleeping in a classroom. The mix of business experience our exec director has coupled with excellent educators she has surrounded herself with shows her strength in building a great team to successfully educate our children! Just like a business should be-the business of educating our kids! Love the whole child approach taught by PHENOMENAL teachers! Excellent parent participation and communication from teachers to us is very strong. Corvian has exceeded the expectations we have had for our kids' educations! We love it!

Corvian Community School
9501 David Taylor Drive, Charlotte, NC  28262
Last modified Corvian Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Corvian Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 71 reviews. Top