Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Corvian Community School 2

Posted January 25, 2016
Wow, I'm surprise to see all this comments, I'm agree with a few of the positive reviews, especially when the say "this is my first year.. and we love it". I hope you all keep the same feeling after the end of the year, as I did. I can say that this school work and plan school activities around stay-home parents and school staff personal time. No consideration for full time working parents, there's no parent - teacher conferences or PTA, the conferences are held individually only. They have Yoga class! Homework? not enough that's for sure. If there is a day off during the week, kids won't have homework. It doesn't make sense. They teach Spanish, but is not graded.. what's the point? With all the technology we have, teachers are forgetting to work on their calligraphy. Don't get me wrong, my kid's teachers are great people and I hope they are doing their best.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted December 08, 2015
Thanks to Mrs Harman and Mrs Misty Thanks to Ms amber and Ms Tina! We are lucky to have them all!

Posted December 08, 2015
We have had a very positive experience at Corvian. The teachers are all amazing and from year-to-year it does not matter who you get. They hire the best of the best who care for our kids and want them to succeed.

Posted December 02, 2015
Corvian is a wonderful school! My children are thriving. I love the health and wellness focus, love the administration team and love our teachers. I feel like the parents who leave our school and write negative comments leave because their kids are held accountable for behavior. These parents are usually on their 2nd or 3rd school. They are running from something! I occasionally sub in the lower grades and appreciate the discipline policy and feel the teachers and admin team hold our students and parents accountable. The Elementary School Director is hard working and has changed our school for the better! I appreciate how hard the staff works for our children. I think the ED has done an exceptional job with finding the right people, finances, facilities and growing a "debt-free" school. We are not going anywhere!

Posted October 22, 2015
I cannot say enough good things about our experience at Corvian. This is our 3rd year at the school. I want to address a couple of the previous comments and hopefully clear up some misperceptions they are creating about our school. While these folks are obviously entitled to their opinion some are just stating information that is not true. "There has been no change in the board since the school opened." Not true. "Our test scores do tell a story. It tells a story of stagnant growth." Corvian has two years of published test scores. Click on the links provided on this site and you can see the scoring results are moving upward. Also keep in mind we have only been testing for 3 years. That is not an appropriate amount of time to declare things stagnant and or slipping. And you cannot compare us score wise to CSD who has graduating seniors. Obviously they have been testing many more years. This person also addresses an administrator leaving 3 years ago. 3 years. This has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on with our school this year. Time to let that go. The most deeply offensive comments are about the "behavior children" as I myself have a child that does have behavior issues. Unless you have been in our situation you have NO room to discuss how that is handled. Corvian has done nothing but work with us, offer resources, set up plans for our child. I have never once witnessed "kids misbehaving get special treatment and are rewarded for their bad behavior." I am curious as to how much in class volunteering these people have done. I've volunteered weekly in classes, attended field trips, book fairs, etc. I have certainly never seen bad behavior rewarded and always felt it was managed properly. I feel like on these websites you get a handful of angry parents that want their voices heard loud and clear. Well I'm a happy parent and I want my voice heard too. Corvian has been a blessing for our family. We came from a private school so we have experience with both types of environments. I have emailed the elementary admins on several occasions. Within minutes both emailed me back. The teachers communicate well via email and phone calls. We get weekly newsletters updating us on what each class is working on. So when you read some of these negative reviews keep in mind there are many people happy at Corvian and have happy kids there!

Corvian Community School 2

Posted October 05, 2015
This is our first year and I can already see this school is in need of major changes. My child who came from a great CMS elementary school last year tells me the kids in class are loud, don't listen to the teacher, are never in trouble for being bad and can be very mean. After talking to other parents and reading past reviews, many families agree. This is a big problem. We are not happy with our zoned middle and high school so we applied for charters. I was excited when my child received a spot at Corvian but I don't see how we can even make it a year here when my child comes home everyday and tells me what a zoo the classes are. I should have known when we were told there is not a discipline system in place that the classes would be chaotic. I have rules at home for my kids and consequences for not following the rules. Schools should be the same way. We should be setting them up for success, holding them accountable and preparing them for the real world. In the real world your boss isn't going to give you a nice little chat in the hall asking to please make a better choice over and over and over again. Let's be real here. I'm not saying yell or embarrass the child but just hold kids accountable in a positive way (personal behavior chart for parent and child works wonders). I just can't wrap my head around this and hope there will be some changes. It doesn't take a genius to figure out many families have left and it's time to figure out why and make some changes. I will not be part of a school where large numbers of families come and go every year. And one more thing! Why is the principal of elementary not involved with the kids or parents? My child has no clue who she is. At our previous school, the principal helped at carpool at least once a week to be involved, we received phone calls and newsletters from the principal and every child knew who the principal was. I figured for a small school there would be better communication and kids would feel part of a family. I'm not finding this to be the case at all. Hoping things change or we are gone.

Corvian Community School 1

Posted September 26, 2015
I was so impressed with our first year. Lisa Humphries was absolutely amazing. My son's teacher was amazing. There was such a different feel in the school. When the Executive Director drove Lisa away, the school went downhill fast. Instead of looking for a new Elementary School Director with a school administrating background, she hired her good friend, who is terrible at her job and it's clear she has no idea what she is doing. She has NO experience, no enthusiasm or passion and not personable at all. Corvian has a large amount of EC kids and kids with behavior issues. It's very distracting in the classrooms and takes away from the academics. How can it be managed when 1) there are no consequences 2) The kids misbehaving get special treatment and are rewarded for their bad behavior 3) We don't have the EC help needed for all these kids. The Teacher Assistants (many with no experience in a school before) are stuck trying to manage these behavior kids and EC kids. The kids who could really use that extra little help from the assistant get pushed to the side. Then the kids who need to be challenged are bored. It's very sad. I would be very concerned about all the families who have left and the teachers who have left. There are many red flags. The test scores are not that great considering we have a TA in every classroom. Many of the kids who were academically above grade level have left the school. It will be interesting to see how the scores will be this school year. There is a small clique at this school who likes to tell people Corvian is "magical", but that is far from the truth. Please do your research!!!! EDITED TO ADD: To the parent who commented that I left "probably due to a discipline issue"...you are sort of correct. We left because there is a LACK of discipline. Kids are out of control here. The kids don't listen to the teachers and there are some violent outbursts with some of the kids. I'm glad consultants were sent in to figure out why so many families have left and to figure out what is going on with this school. I'm glad that results from the parent survey showed that discipline was a big concern. Obviously it's not just me. Look at all the families who have left the past 2 years. Thank you for showing how the group of clique parents jump to conclusions and put down parents who do not agree their views.

Grateful to: Parent

Posted September 23, 2015
Thanks to all the teachers, staff and admin who make Corvian a wonderful and safe place. It's obvious that one parent went on a negative writing spree on 9/15/15. It's probably due to a discipline issue. I have noticed that parents write negative comments when their child is in trouble or they do not agree with the discipline polices set by the board and carried through by admin. Teachers leave because they are not philosophically aligned, this has been talked about in coffee chats. It takes an act of god for a CMS teacher to leave.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted September 15, 2015
I do not blame the teachers at all for this. There are many EC kids, many behavior kids. Even with a full time assistant, it's very sad there is so much chaos in the classroom. Without a discipline system in place, kids are never held accountable. As a parent, my kids have clear rules and consequences at home. This does not happen at Corvian. Kids know they can get away with whatever they want. That's why the same kids have in school suspensions, the same kids are getting pulled out for a little talk in the hall...it's clear the lack of consequences are NOT working. Kids NEED consequences. We all have to learn to deal with consequences, even as adults.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted September 15, 2015
I'm not a big fan of a lot of homework, but kids need to practice. Kids need to learn to work hard and learn it takes practice to learn a skill. I had to give my own homework at home to make up for the lack of instruction in the classroom.

9501 David Taylor Drive, Charlotte, NC  28262
Last modified Corvian Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Corvian Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 94 reviews. Top