Public charter
Charlotte, NC

Posted February 28, 2015
This is our third year at CCS and we absolutely LOVE it here! I couldn't imagine my kids being at another school. The teachers are amazing. Truly amazing. I have one child who is ahead academically and her teachers have been so helpful in finding other ways to challenge her. My other child gets help from the literacy team. He gets one on one help with an amazing literacy teacher. While this school is still new, they have done a wonderful job working out the kinks and are always looking for ways to improve. Both my children are happy to go to school every day. They are learning, growing and loved by their teachers. They are at school learning, but still get to be kids. What more could I ask for?

Posted February 25, 2015
We are on our 2nd year at Corvian and couldn't be happier. Our oldest daughter had really lost her love for learning while attending our neighborhood school, yet from day one at Corvian that love for learning and excitement for school has not only returned, but grown exponentially. The teachers are devoted and skilled and the community among the families has been a huge blessing. We're thrilled with the caliber of education our kids are receiving, yet they are enjoying the process along the way. Really can't speak more highly of our experience at this school.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 21, 2015
My 2 very different children are both thriving at Corvian, and are now in their second years there. The philosophy, staff, parent volunteers and students together create a unique, incredible environment in which to grow academically and socially. I wish there had been a place like this for me as a child. There is no where else I would rather send my children! Keep up the great work Corvian!!
10 people found this helpful

Posted January 12, 2015
We LOVE this school! So far it's beyond our expectations. The most amazing teachers! Our son is happy to go to this school every single morning. He feels safe and loved here. He progressed a lot academically. We experienced other public schools before with his older sister and we can tell this school makes such a difference.
12 people found this helpful

Posted January 09, 2015
I thought this school would be a dream come true, it ended up being our worst nightmare. We had an awful experience and would never trust these people with any of my children. My child was behind academically, socially and emotionally. Now my child is getting good grades, self esteem has returned and has tons of friends. I do not think this school will ever have it together as long as the current director is in charge. She has no educational background and did not handle out situation appropriately or professionally and my child is the one who paid for it. Like the others said, don't bother!!
4 people found this helpful

Posted January 04, 2015
Don't bother. I know this is a new school, but we've had a horrible time. Last year, when the ED pushed out the other two wonderful directors, the tone of the whole school changed. We thought we'd try to stick it out, but we just couldn't stay. Good luck to those who stayed, but this school has a LOT of kinks to work out before they will ever be successful.
10 people found this helpful

Posted December 29, 2014
This is our third year at Corvian and we have absolutely no complaints. I actually don't know what we would have done without Corvian. You can walk into the school and feel such a difference from a typical public school setting. It's lively and kids are able to be kids. The teachers and staff are super friendly, loving and have a huge passion for teaching children. As for the comments below about the Director - she is not the lovey dovey type person. But she is passionate about the vision of the school and the children and her business background is crucial for running a school!!! I can't imagine the stress and constant work it takes to run a school. The Director has done a phenomenal job. People need to remember this is a NEW school. Community School of Davidson had kinks to work out when they first opened and are now a top rated amazing school. Corvian will be the same way!!! Our children are learning, loved and so happy.
21 people found this helpful

Posted December 29, 2014
I am the parent who posted a 4 star review on October 23. In that amount of time, my opinion of the school continues to drop drastically. We have invested a lot in Corvian--both financially and emotionally--and had such high hopes that it would be an outstanding Basic School. Unfortunately, it seems to be moving further and further away from it's original vision, and lacks strong leadership with experience in school administration. We have a wonderful teacher, but that is not enough to hold a school together. There is very little transparency, and I have lost faith in those who run the school. We will not be returning next year. The fact that 4 families have left in December alone to go to another charter school (Thunderbird) is very telling, and worrisome.
7 people found this helpful

Corvian Community School 3

Posted December 26, 2014
The school was started with very good intentions but we all know that quote ("the road to hell is paved with good intentions"). Some of the teachers at Corvian are amazing but that can likely be said about lots of schools. The current (and only building) was a preschool building. Yes, preschool. The classrooms are TINY. You have 22 kids crammed into rooms that were meant to hold maybe 8-10 preschoolers. The school is now K-5 with the intention of adding a grade every year. The current 5th grade is in a temporary location and there have been absolutely no announcements about where middle school might be and that is worrisome to say the least. The directors are often reluctant to hear any opinion that differs from theirs and are very standoffish. The door to the director's office is always closed. The board seems to have little to no power over the executive director and thereby no check and balances. The classrooms are often complete chaos. Very few people can work with constant noise in the background. This will likely be our last year at Corvian. My worry is that my children will be behind where they need to be at another school.
5 people found this helpful

Posted December 20, 2014
We have been at Corvian for 2.5 years and we love it. My children are thriving there. They were getting lost in the public school they went to prior to Corvian. The teachers have really taken the time to get to know my children and their needs. They both love school and have a thirst for knowledge since coming to Corvian.
11 people found this helpful

Corvian Community School
9501 David Taylor Drive, Charlotte, NC  28262
Last modified Corvian Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Corvian Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top