Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Corvian Community School 4

Posted June 13, 2016
I'm gonna be frank here. At this school I've had some of the best experiences of my life. I've been the Guinea pig. Always being the highest grade is hard. All these people who are complaining about the fact that the head doesn't know how I run a school? Well, she probably runs one better than you, and she also has a huge team with her. (I would like to thank the board of directors, you guys are awesome.) I started going to corvian in 3rd grade, the year I got in. I will admit, it was small, and wasn't exactly what I needed, but all I can think about is if I hadn't stayed I would've had missed the best year of my life, I would've never met my best friend, I would've been bullied because I was AIG. Then when I started 4th they decided that the classes would loop k-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, etc, and they made the mistake of hiring who was my 4th grade teacher. I swear she was bipolar. But then after that year they asked her not to come back. 5th grade was ok, but I was no longer getting the academics I needed. For me it was repeat after repeat after repeat of the same subjects I had learned years before. Then in 6th they said "we will have a gifted program" that never happened. Our so called gifted program was slightly accelerated math. My mom got my EOG scores, looked at me, and said, next year might be your last year at Corvian.

Corvian Community School 1

Posted June 04, 2016
Horribly inconsistent with teaching. Students aren't really learning, and then it's too late. Too many hugs and parties vs learning and discipline. Recently found out one of my children is nearly 1/2 years behind, although teacher kept saying "on-target", and pushing through-year after year.

Posted April 28, 2016
Very inconsistent in what is taught from classroom to classroom in each grade. Some might be learning a lot in one class and others not so much. We are pulling ours at the end of the year and much tutoring has been done throughout due to the huge academic gaps. The board follows the orders of the Executive Director (really all of the members of Administration) who has no business running a school but no one is telling her no. They do not like people disagreeing with them in any way. People leave every year to go elsewhere and the lottery numbers are very low. Teachers at this school pull their kids to go elsewhere!! That says a lot. Word gets around about things. The classrooms are also noisy all of the time. People seem to be happy in the lower grades but not later on. That is when people leave and then must deal with the fact that their children are likely behind.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted April 20, 2016
Ms. Amber, thank you for being so patient, sweet, loving and kind to the students. You are so smart, I can tell you do your homework! You are on top of teaching techniques, statistics on children's learning abilities, etc. You know exactly what each child in the class needs, emotionally, socially and academically. I feel my daughter had an individualized learning experience with you. We are going to miss you next year! But so grateful to have you these last two years. You really made the transition from preschool to kindergarten so easy for our daughter. I can't thank you enough :)

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted April 20, 2016
Zero tolerance for bullying. Children are also expected to treat each other with respect. Teachers treat the kids with respect and are in turn taught to be respectful to them.

Corvian Community School 5

Posted April 20, 2016
I love Corvian! My children have been attending Corvian since the year it became a charter school, 4 years. The staff are excellent! Very kind, patient, caring, loving and smart! Every child is different and the teachers always meet the child where they're at, academically, socially, etc. I have read some negative comments on here and wonder if these people have their children in the same school as mine! We have never had a negative experience at the school. Lines of communication are always open. One person commented that there are no teacher conferences, only one on one, I'm still not sure what she meant by that, and that we do not have a PTA....we do! There is a parent/teacher conference before school starts and 3 (maybe 4?) more throughout the school year. And as far as PTA, we have the equivalent of one. Everyone is very friendly, from Ms. Stacy, Ms. Bindy, Ms. Sue and all the teachers and staff in between. I love that the kids have weekly yoga, spanish, art, music and daily recess. And lunch in the classroom! The teachers' rooms are organized very well, they make great use of their (sometimes small) space. And the kids know what to do without being told. Music goes on and kids get up and get ready for their next lesson, amazes me every time. So, as you can tell, I LOVE CORVIAN! My family would be heartbroken if we ever had to move.

Posted March 20, 2016
We have been at Corvian for a couple years now and have gone from really loving it to greatly disliking it. The school's executive director saw the need for another charter and started one which is admirable but she has no background in education and is running a school and making all of the decisions. If you complain or voice your concerns she has no problems telling you to leave. She is incredibly unprofessional and seems to be a complete narcissist. There is a high turnover rate with students (especially in the higher grades) leaving to go elsewhere. That speaks volumes. Classes are often chaotic with little control even though there are two teachers in each classroom. There is an inner circle at the school as some others have pointed out and if the director doesn't like you it is glaringly obvious. Until changes are made in the school's administration nothing good will come. The director did a good thing but now should step aside and let someone who knows what they are doing lead. Most if not all of the positive reviews seem to come from people who are new to the school. I would be curious to see updates from these families after more than a year.

Corvian Community School 1

Posted March 06, 2016
My child came home from school Friday to tell me the PE teacher is gone. It would have been nice to get a note from admin letting us know. How difficult is it to give us parents a heads up? We are supposed to be a community. The community feel is seriously lacking here! Some parents and I were comparing the yearbook last year to the teachers this year. I can not believe how many teachers and families have left. I had no clue!!!!!!!! I knew more of what was going on at our previous CMS school than here at Corvian. Everything here is so hush-hush. While my child's teacher is very nice, I had to start paying for a tutor weekly outside of school. I was told at conferences that my child is doing well academically. That is not true at all. Our tutor, who is a teacher, said my child is unfortunately behind. My eyes have been opened this year and we will not be back. If it weren't already March, we would be gone.

Corvian Community School 5

Posted March 04, 2016
My son has absolutely thrived at Corvian. They have managed to challenge him and keep him engaged. He is excited to go to school everyday. His teachers have been absolutely wonderful. The entire school has such a community feeling. Every time we step through the doors, we are greeted with smiles and hellos. I've never heard a staff member use anything but a kind tone with the children. They've maintained discipline in my son's classroom while allowing a little more breathing room than many schools. I have nothing but good things to say.

Posted January 25, 2016
Wow, I'm surprise to see all this comments, I'm agree with a few of the positive reviews, especially when the say "this is my first year.. and we love it". I hope you all keep the same feeling after the end of the year, as I did. I can say that this school work and plan school activities around stay-home parents and school staff personal time. No consideration for full time working parents, there's no parent - teacher conferences or PTA, the conferences are held individually only. They have Yoga class! Homework? not enough that's for sure. If there is a day off during the week, kids won't have homework. It doesn't make sense. They teach Spanish, but is not graded.. what's the point? With all the technology we have, teachers are forgetting to work on their calligraphy. Don't get me wrong, my kid's teachers are great people and I hope they are doing their best.

9501 David Taylor Drive, Charlotte, NC  28262
Last modified Corvian Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.