Public charter
Charlotte, NC

Posted April 08, 2015
Every school has it's complaints from disgruntled patents. We have been so happy and I think each year will continue to be even better. I will say our director of elementary school has no experience running a school and lacks enthusiasm and warmth. She doesn't have the personality I would expect from a principal. It would be nice to have a principal who is fun, involved with all the kids and warm. However, because the school is run so well and teachers and staff are beyond amazing I can't ask for much more. We have been to 2 other schools and this has by far been the best experience. My child loves going to school and is learning and growing.
3 people found this helpful

Corvian Community School 1

Posted April 03, 2015
Corvian's philosophy is great however the school itself is run like a circus. I have older kids and have never seen anything like it. One week they try one thing then change it then try something else. I felt like my child was a guinea pig and my child's education really took a horribly turn for the worst. The director. I don't even know where to begin. She has made my child cry, she has been extremely rude to me and my family, very unprofessional and it was very clear how uneducated in the educational field she was when I spoke to her. I could tell it was only going to get worse so we left immediately!! We have been very pleased with our new school and I have zero regrets about leaving Corvian. We could not run away fast enough!!!
4 people found this helpful

Posted March 22, 2015
Every school has its ups and downs and every school has disgruntled parents. That is just a fact. Every school is not going to please everyone. You have to find the right school for your family. Corvian is a unique school that truly and I mean truly cares about the whole child. Teachers work endlessly to meet the needs of children and do not think of their "job" as a job, it is a passion and let me tell you it shows. The administration are all very accommodating and helpful to support their staff as well as help parents in situations where they have concerns. There are many schools in our area and you just have to find the right fit for your child and family. I would guarantee a lot of the negative parents had a bad experience because Corvian is just not the right fit for the family and educational beliefs. Corvian truly is an amazing school that far exceeds my hopes for both my children's educational and social needs. Are there things to work on? Sure! Every school has things to improve upon, but this school will give your child 110% dedication and nothing less. They truly care about the whole child.
8 people found this helpful

Posted March 22, 2015
We absolutely love this school! Maybe if CMS schools had more business minded leadership, we wouldn't be forced to look elsewhere. We had one child go to our home school for a year and it was run like a zoo. Several teachers there shouldn't have even been employed. Janitor was found sleeping in a classroom. The mix of business experience our exec director has coupled with excellent educators she has surrounded herself with shows her strength in building a great team to successfully educate our children! Just like a business should be-the business of educating our kids! Love the whole child approach taught by PHENOMENAL teachers! Excellent parent participation and communication from teachers to us is very strong. Corvian has exceeded the expectations we have had for our kids' educations! We love it!
4 people found this helpful

Posted March 22, 2015
Corvian is an amazing school where the students are taught to love learning. The basic school curriculum weaves all disciplines together such that the literacy and art are woven around the math, science and social studies. The children are taught to love and respect themselves, respect everyone's differences, and take care of each other and our environment. The WHOLE child is nurtured here. My children love school and every day is a "GREAT DAY!"

Posted March 17, 2015
I am a staff and parent at Corvian. I am very pleased with the school and my children are doing well and love school. There so many rumors about the way the school is run. I see how the school runs and LOVE where I work. The Executive Director does not make educational decisions, the Director of Elementary Education does (and a fantastic job too!) and so will the Middle School Director. The Executive Director is more business management, facilities, looks at the bigger picture for growth and makes sure the school is financially successful. She does a great job and the school would not be this successful without her.
12 people found this helpful

Corvian Community School 2

Posted March 12, 2015
Corvian served its purpose of keeping our child out of CMS for 2 years. The first year was tolerable and our child enjoyed the school but during the 2nd year, things changed drastically. My first interaction with admin was very telling of how things are handled at the school and it did not match my expectations or what I found important. Reading the other reviews, I tend to side with the negative reviews based on my personal experience and can say that they're factual because I experienced the same. The school is filled with many cliques and a very close knit circle with the director who get privileged info (likely why rumors run wild there). The school was not for us or our child and it all came down to admin and how staff handled a few incidents.

Posted March 11, 2015
This is my second year at Corvian and my two girls are thriving! We are so pleased with the school. I have not experienced anything that the previous negative reviewers have experienced. One school cannot please everyone and I would encouraged prospective families to give it a try and to not base their opinion on a few negative reviews. The director has always been responsive to me. At one point in the summer when some rumors were flying around out of control, I emailed the director (on a weekend in the summer) asking for clarification. She emailed me back the same day! Not only did she explain to me exactly what was happening, but also thanked me for emailing her directly as not one other parent had emailed her previously about this issue. Yes, she has a business background and not education, but business is also important in running a school. She is also a parent who has kids at the school. No one seems to mention the wonderful educators who are in charge of the curriculum, elementary education and EC education. My kids are happy and daily I see how much they are learning. Corvian is a wonderful school!

Corvian Community School 1

Posted March 10, 2015
We spent 3 years at Corvian and experienced much of the disappointing and unacceptable same each year with admin. You are in for a rude awakening if you buy into their claim of always doing what is best for the child and partnering with parents to accomplish that. My interactions with admin could be described as complete opposition and disagreement. Should you address concerns with admin regarding any classroom/teacher issues, you will find yourself on the receiving end of exactly what your child needs to change instead of the teacher. Also, don't expect them to challenge your child whether your child is gifted or not. What you can expect is a closed off and unprofessional Executive Director, zero transparency, and zero support in your ideas for your child. In terms of the Board--that's just a group of buddies that come together to fulfill the requirement of having a governing body and follow the direction of the Executive Director. We thankfully are elsewhere now but I always wished Corvian realized that it was my child (the child they claim comes first) that suffered during the adult disputes given their unwillingness to even remotely give life to my ideas for MY CHILD.
7 people found this helpful

Posted March 01, 2015
I have a Grandchild who attends Corvian. Words can't express the joy I feel when I see my only Grandchild excited to go to school. I am fortunate enough to drop off/pick him up many days during the week, visit the classroom and I can see how well loved he is. I hear everything he learns and he loves to go on about his day. I believe kids need to have a love of school and learning. I see this happening at Corvian every day. Academically and socially he is thriving. We are blessed to be a part of this amazing school.
7 people found this helpful

Corvian Community School
9501 David Taylor Drive, Charlotte, NC  28262
Last modified Corvian Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Corvian Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top