Corvian Community School 4

Posted October 23, 2014
Overall, we are very happy at Corvian. The school provides a whole-child approach, treating each child as a unique individual. Our experience in the classroom has been absolutely wonderful: the teachers are amazing, a high level of differentiation occurs, and the thematic units are outstanding. Corvian is a fun place for kids to learn, and my daughter is definitely receiving a quality education. The school has grown tremendously, and my long-term concerns do revolve around the capability of admin to manage a bigger school. The head of school, who is in charge of discipline, hiring, and many education and curricular decisions, has a business background rather than an education background, and that is quite concerning to our family. Some decisions at the school seem to happen on a whim, without consistency. There have also been instances of favoritism. Our hope is that Corvian will make it through the growing pains and be stronger than ever. Ultimately, and despite the growing pains, I would definitely recommend the school for parents looking for a whole-child approach to education.

Posted October 23, 2014
Corvian is the little school that can. We came from the CMS system which in our area had wonderful teachers but bad administration along with more problem children than supposedly is allowed per ratio. The bigger issue is the school does very little to help the EC kids. Corvian helps those that do need the extra help and they are not afraid to try something else if what they are doing isn't working. We are fortunate since our kids do not have this issue with learning but I am sure the parents that do appreciate the approach. At Corvian you have to be committed to the school. There are no free lunches and no free transportation so you have to commit as a parent. The school is young but last year the EOG scores showed Corvian as higher than most of the schools in Charlotte which is a direct reflection on the schools philosophy to teaching the "whole child. The school also raises more money fundraising than any PTA I have ever been involved with. To all the Corvian staff Thank you for what you do everyday

Posted October 23, 2014
Our child's private school (that we adored) closed 2 years ago. We were devastated and not thrilled with the options available to us (other private schools were too expensive and we are not impressed with the local public school). We got off the wait list for Corvian at the very end of summer. We were absolutely thrilled! My son has thrived at this school. He loves his teachers and classmates. I am volunteering weekly in the class and get to see the students and the teacher's love for learning. In addition to regular studies the students get: art, PE, spanish, art and yoga weekly. I have never had a problem with parents or the administration (as the previous posters said). This is our 2nd year and we are very happy. I have been extremely involved in all decisions made regarding my child (again not sure what other posters experience was). We have attended board meetings and are impressed with the board and leadership.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 23, 2014
Corvian is a wonderful school!!!!! We are very lucky to have such a dedicated group of Directors, teachers and staff. The qualifications of all the Directors are simply amazing and as previous review stated, very well rounded. The parent support is beyond anything I've ever seen. I really could go on. I highly recommend this school to everyone. There were always be people who are unhappy. We are not one of them. We couldn't be more pleased.

Corvian Community School 1

Posted October 16, 2014
The school is clean and nice. The teachers are great and the EC program is finally developing. However, the administration is truly lacking and the board does not seem to carry out its duties but rather does what the executive administrator wants. Parent involvement is highly encouraged. They want our time and money but don't care about our opinions or concerns. Administration disguise issues as being based on what is in the best interest of a child but they make decisions with no consistency and by the whim of the executive director. If you hope to have any say in what is best for your child, I wouldn't attend this school.

Posted October 13, 2014
This is our first year at Corvian and it is more than we could have ever dreamed of! I am quite baffled at the review below. We came into this school not knowing one single family, yet felt so welcomed. I already have met such wonderful parents! I attended my first coffee chat and the Directors were so personable and families welcomed me to the school. I understand the Executive Director does not have a background in education, but she does have her degree in business and accounting. Every school SHOULD have a Director with a business degree!! Our school is debt free...how many schools can say that?! Our Director of Elementary Education is HIGHLY qualified in education, as well as the Director of Curriculum and Design. It is a very well rounded group of Directors! As for as how my child is doing...my child LOVES school!! My child is learning EVERY day! My child is loved and well cared for! It's all we ever wanted in a school. I highly recommend Corvian!!!
5 people found this helpful

Corvian Community School 1

Posted September 25, 2014
I was very excited when we received a spot through the lottery. It's a difficult school to get into. Sadly enough, if I could back in time I would never enrolled my child there. I admit that my child learned some wonderful things, things that a student would not learn in a traditional public school. However, while the school touts that it accommodates a child's learning style and/or personality type, this was not the case for us. The executive director does not even have an educational background. Two of the other directors left the school to go back to Community School of Davidson due to professional differences they were having with the Executive Director. Many parents are cliquish and frankly it reminded me of being back in high school. I know a lot of parents are thrilled with the school but we found it to be awful and i do not recommend it to anyone.
20 people found this helpful

Posted August 18, 2014
My kids love this school! They learn new things every day and are challenged academically. We would recommend Corvian to anyone who wants their kid to be the "whole child!" Thanks Corvian!

Posted April 17, 2014
We have been so happy at Corvian from day one. Now that the school year is nearly over, we can see all of the knowledge she has gained throughout the year. Teachers are so attentive and administration is very approachable! My daughter has engaged in so many academic activities that make learning fun and interesting. Language is offered weekly as well as music, PE, art and after school enrichment activities. So happy to be a part of such a tremendous school!!!

Posted February 09, 2014
I work at this school. If you want to know what a school is really like, ask the teachers there. Nothing is a better indicator of quality. My coworkers are so committed to what they do, and my administration are AMAZING. I genuinely love my job. I haven't been able to say that at my previous schools.
4 people found this helpful

Corvian Community School
9501 David Taylor Drive, Charlotte, NC  28262
Last modified Corvian Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Corvian Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top