Public charter
Charlotte, NC
Before care: Yes

Posted December 20, 2014
We have been at Corvian for 2.5 years and we love it. My children are thriving there. They were getting lost in the public school they went to prior to Corvian. The teachers have really taken the time to get to know my children and their needs. They both love school and have a thirst for knowledge since coming to Corvian.

Posted December 16, 2014
Please keep your children safe and keep them out of this school. There are a few very wonderful teachers here, but the school is completely disorganized. The director is high and mighty and she will only listen to you if you have money. They don't have a location STILL for middle school that they are opening next year. Stay away!
3 people found this helpful

Posted December 16, 2014
We were happy with this school until the director with the basic school background left. We were hoping to be at a school like CSD because that is what we were lead to believe it was based from. Well it is nothing like CSD!! The director seems to not want a relationship with families or even be bothered. My kids never even knew who she was. She had never said hello to any of us. So unwelcoming. She also does not have a background in education. I have never heard of an administrator of a school have zero educational background. We were very uncomfortable with that and in the end we felt that was not what is best for children. The school seems chaotic, disorganized and unprofessional. We had high hopes but we could not have been more disappointed. I agree with previous posters. Safe yourself the trouble.
4 people found this helpful

Posted December 11, 2014
Save yourself the trouble. This school definitely doesn't have it together yet and probably never will. Good luck to those still at the school. Good luck to the few wonderful teachers, may they not encounter too much adversity with the director.
9 people found this helpful

Posted November 23, 2014
This is our 2nd year at Corvian and we are so pleased with the learning style. No longer is my child getting "lost in the shuffle" like at her previous school. Each teacher really gets to know how your child and how they learn. Great administration and the group of teachers can't be beat! This is truly a community!
2 people found this helpful

Corvian Community School 2

Posted October 28, 2014
I too was very excited to have my child admitted to this school. Having been at the school for the past couple of years that has tapered off as I ve become more familiar with the inner workings of the school. The Administration is very interested in your time and your money but not much else. While there is a definite need for a governing body that makes decisions for the school the administration/board at Corvian has a definite agenda that is not welcoming to other concerns or opinions. Right now that agenda is benefitting my child and Corvian is admittedly better than my home school. But my concern is what happens when an instance occurs where I need to be an advocate for my child or express legitimate concerns the atmosphere does not exist that will welcome that type of input. Ultimately, I believe it comes down to that the school was founded from a parent s sincere desire to provide their child with what their vision of school should be for their child. As with most things that are done from the heart you become fiercely protective of something that is so intimately yours. But that protectiveness especially in this instance can be a double edged sword.
12 people found this helpful

Posted October 27, 2014
My comment concerning parents was one of commitment meaning you have to make your kids lunch you have to drive them to school. No one else is going to do it for you. Sorry you read something different by the comment. I never stated parents that can't afford transportation or kids that can't afford to eat shouldn't go to Corvian. Shame on you for inferring what my statement meant
2 people found this helpful

Corvian Community School 4

Posted October 24, 2014
Our family is new to Corvian and so far we are generally pleased. We are very happy with our childs TEACHER, which is really what we've been going on so far. For the parent who stated in their review: "There are no free lunches and no free transportation so you have to commit as a parent." SHAME ON YOU! What a feeble-minded comment!!! Please explain to me how parents who may have different circumstances in regards to being able to provide lunch and or transportation are not commited parents?!?! If this mentality is behind the operations at Corvian, we all may want to run for the hills because I see a discrimination suit in their future. Every child of every circumstance deserves the best education possible. I though that was part of Corvian's values. With that said, while I am pleased with my child's teacher, I think there is room for improvement on many levels at Corvian. Our family believes in the philosophy and values promoted and we are willing to give it time. We truly hope administration stays true to their vision.

Corvian Community School 4

Posted October 23, 2014
Overall, we are very happy at Corvian. The school provides a whole-child approach, treating each child as a unique individual. Our experience in the classroom has been absolutely wonderful: the teachers are amazing, a high level of differentiation occurs, and the thematic units are outstanding. Corvian is a fun place for kids to learn, and my daughter is definitely receiving a quality education. The school has grown tremendously, and my long-term concerns do revolve around the capability of admin to manage a bigger school. The head of school, who is in charge of discipline, hiring, and many education and curricular decisions, has a business background rather than an education background, and that is quite concerning to our family. Some decisions at the school seem to happen on a whim, without consistency. There have also been instances of favoritism. Our hope is that Corvian will make it through the growing pains and be stronger than ever. Ultimately, and despite the growing pains, I would definitely recommend the school for parents looking for a whole-child approach to education.
4 people found this helpful

Posted October 23, 2014
Our child's private school (that we adored) closed 2 years ago. We were devastated and not thrilled with the options available to us (other private schools were too expensive and we are not impressed with the local public school). We got off the wait list for Corvian at the very end of summer. We were absolutely thrilled! My son has thrived at this school. He loves his teachers and classmates. I am volunteering weekly in the class and get to see the students and the teacher's love for learning. In addition to regular studies the students get: art, PE, spanish, art and yoga weekly. I have never had a problem with parents or the administration (as the previous posters said). This is our 2nd year and we are very happy. I have been extremely involved in all decisions made regarding my child (again not sure what other posters experience was). We have attended board meetings and are impressed with the board and leadership.
3 people found this helpful

Corvian Community School
9501 David Taylor Drive, Charlotte, NC  28262
Last modified Corvian Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Corvian Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top