Colfax, NC

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 19, 2015
We moved into the area last year and our son started 1st grade at Colfax Elem. We were extremely impressed with Principal Thigpen and how dedicated she was to her job. She was very sweet and involved with the students of the school. Our son's main teacher was amazing, she was kind, yet stern, and our son learned a lot from her. Our son will be starting second grade there as well, and we hope that we have the same positive experience that we had last year.

Posted July 19, 2015

Colfax Elementary School 1

Posted June 28, 2015
My son has a developmental disability and his teacher and the school psychologist and social worker were completely unwilling to accommodate him or even acknowledge his issues, despite notes from his doctor and therapist. They repeatedly denied that his issues were anything other than behavioral and insolence and refused to help him in any way whatsoever. Not a single day went by where his teacher didn't assault us with a list of complaints about his behavior, while refusing to listen to our advice and suggestions on how to improve his behavior. We suggested he be given alternative activities during naptime and the teacher flat out ignored us, yet continued to complain daily that our son did not sit still during naptime. Yeah, we know, we told you he wouldn't if you didn't give him something else to do! You can't expect a 5 year old, with or without a developmental disability, to sit still for 30+ minutes with nothing to occupy them. It's simply ridiculous. Furthermore, his teacher was probably the worst we've ever seen. She didn't care at all about her students. If they misbehaved or acted like normal 5 year olds, she wanted nothing to do with them. We complained multiple times to the principal, to no avail. We finally pulled our son out to homeschool and when we left, she asked me to sign TWO forms dated months prior (2 separate dates) stating that we had attended parent-teacher conferences with her. I did not sign the forms, because those conferences NEVER happened. We were never given one single update about our child's academic progress, despite asking many times. The work we did see was well below his capabilities, so he was bored out of his mind, and acted like any 5 year old when bored, yet despite multiple requests and meeting with school counselors, nothing was ever done to rectify this issue, and every single problem was chalked up to his having "behavior issues" and being "insolent" and "defiant." Oddly enough, since we've pulled him out, he has THRIVED-he is completing work well above grade-level: reading fluently, fractions, double-digit addition and subtraction, etc. In this school he came home every day crying that he hated school and saying his teacher didn't like him. It's bad enough when there's bullying, but when the teacher is the bully, it's simply appalling. I can't think of a worse place to send my child.

Posted June 01, 2014
The teachers and staff at Colfax truly care about our children. Everyone has high expectations for academics as well as behavior. Children are challenged to reach their highest potential, regardless of their ability. Parent involvement is welcomed and encouraged. Many fun student-centered activities round out this wonderful school.

Colfax Elementary School 3

Posted March 31, 2014
Good school and for the most part good teachers. I give two thumbs up on the principle Mrs. Thigpen, she seems very involved with the students and was very involved when we had an issue with bullying. Education is top knotch, but agree with other reviews. If your student is struggling he or she will be left behind. The teachers tend to worry more about test scores than the students and their learning needs. Somethings gotta give. This is the only reason I gave it 3 stars. Overall a decent school and good diversity.

Posted June 01, 2012
My son struggled at the school he was assigned to in Kindergarten. The school did not provide any support to help resolve the issues. I transferred him to Colfax in first grade and have been extremely impressed with the school's help in getting my son up to grade level. They have provided so much support for his educational and behavioral growth that he has become an A-B honor roll student!! I can't say enough good things about this school and their staff. Thank you!

Colfax Elementary School 2

Posted August 28, 2011
I agree with other parents that 1) my kid is not learning at this school 2) the teacher is not helping and 3) there are bullying in the school. We tried many times to make the principal aware of the situation but nothing has been done. One of the parent thinks other schools are "boosting up" their scores. The nearby schools Summerfield, EP Pearch, Northwest are all great schools and emphasis on learning. They score high because they are good schools. This school is a little better than some of the inner city schools but I can't see why it can be a great preparation for NW middle and high.

Posted March 16, 2011
Great school! Many other schools in the area put so much pressure on the kids to perform well on tests to inflate scores like these posted here, but this school offers so much more. It is a great preparation for NW middle and high.

Posted February 25, 2010
This year is my childs second year, last year was awful, my child fell behind and the teacher was of no help. I think she just ignored. This year the teacher is somewhat better but my child is not learning and they are not helping.

Colfax Elementary School 1

Posted February 11, 2010
So far this year at colfax has not been that great my child was a average student and now he regressing and not making any progress. I do not think we have been treated well and no help has been given to improve my childs education. My child has to been bullied and nothing was done about it.

9112 West Market Street, Colfax, NC  27235
Last modified Colfax Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Colfax Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top