Cannon School

Private | PK-12 | 711 students

Living in Concord

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $183,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $760.

Sweep tile

Posted November 4, 2008

Our daughter transferred into Cannon's Upper School as a Junior this year. We do not have a perspective on what has gone on at Cannon prior to this year, however we are exceedingly pleased thus far with the curriculum, teachers, and administration. One of the points about Cannon that has struck us is how interested and committed faculty and staff are to ensuring our family's ongoing engagement with the school, and the academic success of our daughter. While there are, of course, bumps that have occurred with both students and faculty, these appear to be the exception rather than the rule. So far, we are very pleased with Cannon and our daughter loves it.

Posted September 23, 2008

This school did not differentiate in lower school. Gifted or bright children do not have a chance to excel and be challenge. Lots of homework does not equal lots of learning - just lots of busy work. The teacher to student ratio was too high in lower school classrooms. The majority of students are 6 months to a year older than they are supposed to be in each grade. Most importantly, the school uses the Everyday Mathematics program which does not teach children the basics and has been taken out of several school distrists including the entire state of Texas.

Posted September 18, 2008

Cannon is lagging behind all area private schools and most of the better CMS public schools. It seems most parents give it a try a year or two and then move on. Most in agreement that what is offered simply is not worth the money.

Posted September 6, 2008

Average academics, poor athletics programs and lacking facilities. Not much for the $$$.

Posted August 6, 2008

The Cannon publicity is very powerful and extremely effective. You really want your child to attend Cannon. However, once you are admitted, the atmosphere is very cold and hostile. The rift between between administration and teachers is immense - to the point that it affects the children. There is an overall pervasive feeling that the children must be 'perfect'. It adds undue pressure that children should not feel at early/mid-elementary level. I have seen my child go from being bright-eyed and excited about going to school to dreading to go to school. I definitely do not believe our child received a quality education nor that he was valued as an individual. After two years, we are choosing to send our child to a different private school.

Posted July 1, 2008

We did not have the Great experience that we were expecting at Cannon. Uninspiring teachers, cold atmosphere and it certainly wasn't academically elite (as was touted to me). My child wanted to leave this school and is so much happier where she is now. I feel she will become a more well rounded student/ individual away from Cannon.

Posted May 29, 2008

I love cannon school. I have learned so much in my past two years that I would never learn until high school if I was in public. the new headmaster is great and really communicates with the students. Im not smart basically at all but I still get attention, have good grades, and would never want to move schools. I love having a small grade with great teachers and caring students. Cannon school is my family and always will be, even after I graduate in 2013. Cannon has helped me score great on a duke pre- sat. one student even scored a 1520!
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 18, 2008

As a parent of three children in Cannon School, I am extremely pleased with the environment in which my children learn every day. My children receive individual attention from teachers that are passionate about teaching. The curriculum is well balanced with arts, physical education, clubs and extra curriculars. Lower and middle school students are exposed to an enriched program that offers many choices. My ninth grader already has a four-year plan in preparation for college. Cannon is a great community and we're happy to be there.

Posted February 15, 2008

Cannon School is a fanastic school in every way. My husband and I are alums of the school and we are current parents of 2 children in the lower school. The atmosphere in the lower school is warm and caring, and the curriculum is top notch. My childen love to go to school every day, and in fact are sometimes disappointed when the weekend comes. The new administration is terrific! They are responsive, friendly and competent and haave taken charge of ensuring that the school will continue to thrive in the future. Each child is treated as an individual, his/her unique qualities being encouraged and celebrated. There is a strict discipline policy, but I expect and desire nothing less from a school where our children are the number 1 priority. Kindness and respect are acknowledged and rewarded, and even in LS, children are getting a sense of the larger world community.

Posted January 28, 2008

The high school is good the lower and middle schools are pressure cookers. If your child is not a math wiz in middle school he or she will not survive at Cannon. There are no curriculum options for this age group, though in high school there are choices and a non-math and science kid can be successful. I have serious questions about the school's new Head. Maybe the school isn't the best of the best, but just the best of a lot of bad choices.

Posted September 13, 2007

My child has been at Cannon since Jr. K. My child is now in 11th grade and up until 2 years ago we were pleased with Cannon. Since we have had a new Headmaster and a new Upper school Head, we have seen a severe drop in student and staff morale. Many of the staff that left to go elsewhere had been at Cannon for many years. If I had not paid for this year, my child would be enrolled somewhere else now.

Posted August 16, 2007

We have always maintained that the parents are not taken seriously at Cannon. The administration and teachers want our support but, not our involvement. We had been looking for a better than average education for our child and to be honest I think we got that. However, my child's self-esteem, and self-confidence suffered in that competitive environment. I am happy to say that our child is no longer enrolled there.

Posted June 3, 2007

One Word: Overrated. I am an alumnus who can speak from personal experience and the overall educational aspect was low. The faculty is responsive if it is convenient. The college counseling aspect is now a joke since the main counselor left in 2006. Overall the only thing that this school has to offer is boys athletics and an incredible theatre department. They care very little about the female atheletic teams and cheerleading is a joke. For 14,000 a year, this school and its teachers and especially the administration is just not up to par.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 1, 2007

I have to disagree with some of the earlier negative reviews of Cannon School. Both of our children have been enrolled in Cannon School since JrK, the oldest now a rising 8th grader. We have never had an issue with communication, and have found all of the faculty and administrators available and responsive. The discipline is strict, but not oppressive. I know of several instances when children have been helped to overcome discipline issues, without being expelled as a part of some zero-tolerance policy. There is zero-tolerance for serious offenses, which is absolutely appropriate. The collegiality between students is excellent, especially across grade levels, which creates a family-like atmosphere. Parent involvement is strong at all levels, which adds to this strong sense of community at the school. The extracurricular activities are excellent, with a strong focus on the arts and a growing emphasis on athletics. Cannon is an excellent school.

Posted May 2, 2007

New Headmaster this year so too early to judge the long-term. Academic expectations/rigor are superior. Drama and the Arts excellent. Quality of athletic coaches vary dramatically and slow to make any changes. Athletic physical resources and common areas below standard. Efforts being made to improve communication with new website and phone system plans, but to date unreliable. Teachers very approachable and their student relationships and passion excellent. Percentage family/alumni time/economic/donation support, below average. A very strick disciplinary environment, i.e. essentially 'zero tolerance' policy which leaves many kids disenchanted and intimidated. Strength of peer and faculty respect and friendships is why they stay, thou upper level turnover is above average. Overall I give the school a B-, still with long-term potential to some day become an 'A'.

Posted March 27, 2007

We were not happy with Cannon School, and withdrew our child before the end of his first year there. The academic and athletic components of the school appear to be superior; however, we found the climate hostile and unsupportive, and communication poor.

Posted November 10, 2006

Excellent school. Our children love the school, the teachers, and the curriculum. School offers many AP courses, amazing drama program, as well as highly competitive athletic teams. Cannon demands a high degree of ethics and morals from both the staff and the students. Parental involvement is encouraged at all levels. We are glad we made the switch.

Posted January 18, 2006

Excellent school. We attended for 2nd through 6th grades and were transfered. We would not have left otherwise. Tough curriculum but great teachers. Administration knows everyone. Small administrative staff to teacher ratio.

Asian 2% N/A
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0% 2%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab