School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

In the fall of 2004 Carolina International School opened in Harrisburg, NC as Cabarrus County's first Charter School. We opened with Kindergarten through Seventh Grade. Our charter was renewed for 10 years in 2014. In fall of 2014, we moved into our current campus located 2.5 miles West of Interstate 85 on 82 acres near the corner of Poplar Tent and Cox Mill Rd.; we are now K-11 and will add 12th grade in the upcoming 2015-16 school year. Our international and environmental focus provides the framework for learning to ignite interest, relevance, and significance for learning. Our teachers, staff and administration continually strive to garner the resources needed to perfect our professional practice, and thus each individual's access to a high quality education. INTERNATIONAL FOCUS We strive to deepen our school community's understanding of our individual and collective place in the world. The international framework provides a context to explore educational standards within various cultures and traditions. These comparisons and contrasts create relevance, interest and understanding. ENVIRONMENTAL FOCUS Our new eighty-two (82) acre campus affords our students the opportunity to beautiful scenery atop a hill overlooking vast expanses of greenery - within an urban zone. Beyond the beauty, however, students have an opportunity to apply concepts and skills to attain greater understanding. We have three (3) ponds, wooded areas, and access to a variety of insects and creatures. This allows for unrivaled opportunties for observation, testing, and written description that cross all disciplines.
February 12, 2015

Posted March 19, 2015
This is my daughter's first year at CIS. We really struggled with decision of switching schools, but we had heard nothing but good things ... and they all were true. What a wonderful surprise. We previously came from another Charter School in the area - and the first thing we noticed was how welcoming, friendly, and organized the staff was! My daughter has drastically improved with her schooling, and I believe it is because there are no unnecessary distractions (ie - weekly and never-ending fundraisers, non communication between teachers and parents, parent/staff drama, etc). At our old school we often felt that we had no idea what was going on. At CIS, we know every week what our daughter is studying. We have great communication with the teachers and staff and all are willing to help if you have any questions. The new facility is state of the art, and the classrooms are HUGE! We have been pleasantly surprised by CIS!

Posted March 19, 2015
A phenomenal atmosphere for children to learn. All 3 of my children attend or have attended CIS. All 3 of my children have been enriched by the experience. Wonderful teachers. Competent and hard working administration. New school leadership that reflects the excitement for growth and opportunities that you want to see in a school. A very positive and nurturing environment with a focus on academics, global citizenship, and our day to day impact on our environment.

Posted March 01, 2015
I love this school! The teachers and administration are very attentive to my children and do a great job communicating with my husband and me. I have had nothing but positive experiences at CIS. I have two children at the school and I have always volunteered in their classrooms and teachers always make me feel welcome. The communication at the school is awesome too.....for example, there is an application that you can load onto your smart phone and both of my kids teachers use this app to communicate with me daily. I am a big fan of email and the teachers as well as administration have always answered all of inquiries (promptly). Overall, my husband and I are very please with the quality of education, teachers and administration.
3 people found this helpful

Posted February 17, 2015
We love Carolina International! Both of our kids now go to CIS and we are delighted! The school has a wonderful community spirit while truly raising the bar on education. I also very much enjoy that our kids are allowed the opportunity to move forward at their pace, ensuing they can excel when appropriate but also have the needed guidance on the subjects where they may fall short. 5 stars!
4 people found this helpful

Carolina International School 1

Posted February 11, 2015
This is my child's first year at Carolina International School and we will not be returning. We were thrilled and thought we had found the perfect secondary school for our child. We were told many great things about the school, but have experienced something completely different. Please read previous reviews. We wished we had. Though much has changed, even with a new building, it is not better. It can't be! Current administration is still a problem. They don't seem to know what they are doing or are quite overwhelmed with the tasks of their job in a new building. Communication is terrible. Parents are not welcome in the classrooms. Student records are not accurate. Class options are very limited. Students have very few choices, if given any. Sports and extra-curricular activities are minimum at best. On the flip side, there are many good teachers who do a great job, but are bullied by administration. Apparently there was a large exit of some very good and beloved teachers last year due issues with administration. Good teachers were hired to replace them. I don't expect most of them to stay. The active PTSO does a lot for the elementary school, not for Secondary.

Posted January 28, 2015
This is our first year at CIS and so far I am very pleased with the quality of education (teachers and curriculum). The school definitely challenges the children and has a rigorous program which I think it absolutely necessary in preparing children for the next level. I am also pleased to know that the school is implementing AP/IB courses for the higher grades within the coming year......that's always a plus!!!! So glad to be a part of the CIS family.

Posted January 26, 2015
This is my son's 2nd year at CIS (in 2nd grade) and he is thriving and being challenged. I love that it is a diverse and truly international community. The teachers and administration are committed to providing students with a quality education, and now they are in a beautiful new facility. The school has gone through some transitions, and several of the previous comments and ratings refer to a different time for the school. CIS hired its first headmaster this year and is evaluating programs (AP, IB) that could make it an even stronger school.

Carolina International School 4

Posted January 13, 2015
Great school! Both child and myself are happy with administration, and teachers. I love the science component and the way it has been set up. Children get to go on nature walks for science at the school and much more. The way the school was built is based partly on this concept. The teachers are good. However, I would like to see more clubs at the school but this is in the works and the administration has showed and proved. Lastly, next year they are adding the final grade....12!!

Posted March 04, 2014
This is a great school. My child has been attending it for 2 years and is very happy and academically strong. We love it!
3 people found this helpful

Carolina International School 4

Posted January 30, 2014
I also have a child at CIS and overall we are very happy! I will say that I have seen some very positive improvements, particularly regarding communication with the recent change in leadership. I do challenge the school though to increase the overall academic rigor for our children. Most of us seek out specialty skills because we are looking for something "more". While the diversity can not be beat I do believe that increasing the baseline challenge learning particularly in the younger grades can be improved. I will say that the most of the teachers and it seems now that administration as well are willing to work with parents to see the children excel and exceed! At the end of the day we are glad we are apart of the CIS family!!
4 people found this helpful

Carolina International School
9545 Poplar Tent Rd, Concord, NC  28027
Last modified Carolina International School is a Charter school that serves grades K-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carolina International School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top