School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

In the fall of 2004 Carolina International School opened in Harrisburg, NC as Cabarrus County's first Charter School. We opened with Kindergarten through Seventh Grade. Our charter was renewed for 10 years in 2014. In fall of 2014, we moved into our current campus located 2.5 miles West of Interstate 85 on 82 acres near the corner of Poplar Tent and Cox Mill Rd.; we are now K-11 and will add 12th grade in the upcoming 2015-16 school year. Our international and environmental focus provides the framework for learning to ignite interest, relevance, and significance for learning. Our teachers, staff and administration continually strive to garner the resources needed to perfect our professional practice, and thus each individual's access to a high quality education. INTERNATIONAL FOCUS We strive to deepen our school community's understanding of our individual and collective place in the world. The international framework provides a context to explore educational standards within various cultures and traditions. These comparisons and contrasts create relevance, interest and understanding. ENVIRONMENTAL FOCUS Our new eighty-two (82) acre campus affords our students the opportunity to beautiful scenery atop a hill overlooking vast expanses of greenery - within an urban zone. Beyond the beauty, however, students have an opportunity to apply concepts and skills to attain greater understanding. We have three (3) ponds, wooded areas, and access to a variety of insects and creatures. This allows for unrivaled opportunties for observation, testing, and written description that cross all disciplines.
February 12, 2015

Carolina International School 3

Posted May 12, 2015
Carolina International School was a great school when it was at the other location, but since the move, it has become concerning if you are a parent of a middle or high school student. While the elementary school remains strong due to the right teachers and principal, the middle and high struggles to keep good teachers and students. No sports, 3-4 elective classes and very little middle and high school students only activities are concerns. But, discipline is my main concern. Discipline of some students is a joke, as some students continue to misbehave in my child's classes without anything happening to them.The middle/high principal and her dean have favorite students who do not get suspended for behaviors that would cause regular public schools to send them home. The children come back to class and cause more disruptions. This makes it hard for mine and other children to learn and causes them to be frustrated. Many parents that I have talked with have told me they are happy with the teachers but they are not sending their children back next year because of the discipline concerns and because of the high school principal. My family may have to make that hard choice too.

Posted April 20, 2015
My children have attended Carolina International School for the past four years. My husband and I choose to send our kids here because of the academics and small atmosphere. The school is lacking in the extracurricular activities for the Middle/High School but that is a double edge sword. For those that want to complain please be aware that usually when something is offered for the kids in the MS/HS they choose not to participate. The turnover rate last year, some were let go and some decided the commute to the new campus was not something they wanted to do. There have been teachers leaving this year for personal reasons and some have been let go. We have to trust our administration to hire and fire as needed to make the best school possible.

Carolina International School 2

Posted April 20, 2015
Horrible experience for us & child (9th grader). Like other parents, I think the school has potential if they hired the right administration. Do your research before enrolling your child at this school. The board needs to review the staff and make changes. That's the only way this school will succeed.

Carolina International School 1

Posted April 17, 2015
This has been a very disappointing year. New building and grounds not maintained. No thought put into low maintenance and natural landscaping. Such a waste. Secondary administration out of touch with discipline strategies for a diverse population and frequently bullies staff . The School Board is aware of what is going on but has made no steps toward improvement. No after school activities for secondary. No sports for high school. Few elective choices. No active PTSO for secondary. All fundraising goes to elementary curriculum and activities. The majority of students who attend for elementary go elsewhere for middle and high school. Insane amount of homework each night. Projects and HW over breaks during family time. This is not a school for any child who has an IEP or 504 plan. Appropriate modifications to support children are not being made. School cannot keep good teachers. They have already lost several during this school year. Administration is not honest, organized, or accurate - only telling you what they think you want to hear instead of the truth. Many issues with keeping accurate records including something as simple as attendance.
4 people found this helpful

Carolina International School 4

Posted April 17, 2015
CIS .... I have mixed reviews. The elementary is solid. Middle and high leave a lot to be desired. It is important to understand that elementary and secondary are run by 2 completely different administrations. I believe that Ms. Reynolds who is the secondary principal has no idea what she is doing. Each time I go into that school she has hired a new person to add to her admin team. There have been teachers that have left already this year, probably due to her. The teachers that left last year, left due to her. CIS has lost a lot of good teachers all because they have not let her go. Despite efforts of teachers and parents telling the board this. That is sad. My children will attend until 4th grade. As I have said elementary is solid. However, I want much more for my children, in their education as well as role models to look up to. Therefore we will not stay past elementary.

Posted March 19, 2015
This is my daughter's first year at CIS. We really struggled with decision of switching schools, but we had heard nothing but good things ... and they all were true. What a wonderful surprise. We previously came from another Charter School in the area - and the first thing we noticed was how welcoming, friendly, and organized the staff was! My daughter has drastically improved with her schooling, and I believe it is because there are no unnecessary distractions (ie - weekly and never-ending fundraisers, non communication between teachers and parents, parent/staff drama, etc). At our old school we often felt that we had no idea what was going on. At CIS, we know every week what our daughter is studying. We have great communication with the teachers and staff and all are willing to help if you have any questions. The new facility is state of the art, and the classrooms are HUGE! We have been pleasantly surprised by CIS!
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 19, 2015
A phenomenal atmosphere for children to learn. All 3 of my children attend or have attended CIS. All 3 of my children have been enriched by the experience. Wonderful teachers. Competent and hard working administration. New school leadership that reflects the excitement for growth and opportunities that you want to see in a school. A very positive and nurturing environment with a focus on academics, global citizenship, and our day to day impact on our environment.

Posted March 01, 2015
I love this school! The teachers and administration are very attentive to my children and do a great job communicating with my husband and me. I have had nothing but positive experiences at CIS. I have two children at the school and I have always volunteered in their classrooms and teachers always make me feel welcome. The communication at the school is awesome too.....for example, there is an application that you can load onto your smart phone and both of my kids teachers use this app to communicate with me daily. I am a big fan of email and the teachers as well as administration have always answered all of inquiries (promptly). Overall, my husband and I are very please with the quality of education, teachers and administration.

Posted February 17, 2015
We love Carolina International! Both of our kids now go to CIS and we are delighted! The school has a wonderful community spirit while truly raising the bar on education. I also very much enjoy that our kids are allowed the opportunity to move forward at their pace, ensuing they can excel when appropriate but also have the needed guidance on the subjects where they may fall short. 5 stars!

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted February 12, 2015

Carolina International School
9545 Poplar Tent Rd, Concord, NC  28027
Last modified Carolina International School is a Charter school that serves grades K-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carolina International School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top