Posted January 28, 2015
This is our first year at CIS and so far I am very pleased with the quality of education (teachers and curriculum). The school definitely challenges the children and has a rigorous program which I think it absolutely necessary in preparing children for the next level. I am also pleased to know that the school is implementing AP/IB courses for the higher grades within the coming year......that's always a plus!!!! So glad to be a part of the CIS family.

Posted January 26, 2015
This is my son's 2nd year at CIS (in 2nd grade) and he is thriving and being challenged. I love that it is a diverse and truly international community. The teachers and administration are committed to providing students with a quality education, and now they are in a beautiful new facility. The school has gone through some transitions, and several of the previous comments and ratings refer to a different time for the school. CIS hired its first headmaster this year and is evaluating programs (AP, IB) that could make it an even stronger school.

Posted January 13, 2015
Great school! Both child and myself are happy with administration, and teachers. I love the science component and the way it has been set up. Children get to go on nature walks for science at the school and much more. The way the school was built is based partly on this concept. The teachers are good. However, I would like to see more clubs at the school but this is in the works and the administration has showed and proved. Lastly, next year they are adding the final grade....12!!

Posted March 04, 2014
This is a great school. My child has been attending it for 2 years and is very happy and academically strong. We love it!

Posted January 30, 2014
I also have a child at CIS and overall we are very happy! I will say that I have seen some very positive improvements, particularly regarding communication with the recent change in leadership. I do challenge the school though to increase the overall academic rigor for our children. Most of us seek out specialty skills because we are looking for something "more". While the diversity can not be beat I do believe that increasing the baseline challenge learning particularly in the younger grades can be improved. I will say that the most of the teachers and it seems now that administration as well are willing to work with parents to see the children excel and exceed! At the end of the day we are glad we are apart of the CIS family!!
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 30, 2014
I have two children in CIS ands we love it. The teachers are awesome. The school has recently gone through a leadership change that I am hoping will only improve the quality of learning. The diversity of education received at CIS is just not something you will find at the local county schools. I can only speak for K-5 but with the current change of leadership I will continue to send my student because I believe things are going in the right direction. Over 500 applicator for the new school year. Let the demand speak for itself!

Carolina International School 2

Posted December 30, 2013
This school could have received 5 stars. Now that Ms. Nelmes has been released, this school may gain some type of unity considering close to 25 teachers have left in 2.5 years. That school had excellent teachers and an excellent assistant principal, Ms. Hoyle. Ms. Hoyle should have been the principal. That school lacked leadership and was ruled through fear and control. I hope the next leader that comes on board will help those teachers who are left to rebuild and get back to the main focus, teaching and developing. Power and control does not lead to successful students or raise teacher morale. Teachers teach because they love to teach. Hoping things will turn around for students and staff now that Ms. Nelmes is gone.

Carolina International School 1

Posted December 12, 2013
We have had 3 kids in CIS. At first when Mr. Beall was the administrator the School was wonderful and the teachers were a breath of fresh air compared to CMS. The teachers gave full attention to the students and met them at their competence level. Since the Board fired Mr. Beall and the princeple and replaced them the school is now giving an education that is sub par to even some public schools. We finally moved and withdrew our kids to the local county public schools where many of their former CIS teachers escaped to. Though a public school there is less stress and favoritism than there was at the private fiefdom known as CIS. The good news is that the NCGA has loosened the number of Charter Schools that can be formed in NC and this may force CIS' Board to make changes to keep students. The current administration should not even be trusted with managing the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm Obedience School..

Carolina International School 1

Posted October 01, 2013
I do not understand why quality teachers who genuinely care and understand individual students are constantly being let go and/or fired. Beginning in about 2011, the quality of the administration has been atrocious. I do not understand how these people were chosen to manage a school. I do not get any answers from anyone and there seems to be sort favoritism for students whose parents donate and volunteer often. One year is enough for my student.

Carolina International School 2

Posted October 01, 2013
I was a student at Carolina International School from 2005-2010. From my experiences at CIS, everything was quite excellent up until 2009. I am surprised the school still holds such a high rating. The teachers were top-notch. There were a number of afterschool activities I could choose from and the class size (19-21) was ideal for being able to make and maintain relationships with friends and still be able to interact with a number of other people. The original director, Richard Beall left the 2007-2008 school year. After that, things at the school, went downhill. Afterschool opportunities were very much cut down for older students and there was a great exodus of many students because of the downfall in the quality of education. When I left in 2010, my siblings continued to attend CIS. The new management was atrocious and was not capable handling crises and the quality of education for middle and high school students is dropping. Overall, I feel that Carolina International School today, is not an ideal choice for any student. The quality of education for the elementary seems to be quite good, but I would never recommend this school for a student over the fifth grade level.

Carolina International School
9545 Poplar Tent Rd, Concord, NC  28027
Last modified Carolina International School is a Charter school that serves grades K-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carolina International School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top