School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

In the fall of 2004 Carolina International School opened in Harrisburg, NC as Cabarrus County's first Charter School. We opened with Kindergarten through Seventh Grade. Our charter was renewed for 10 years in 2014. In fall of 2014, we moved into our current campus located 2.5 miles West of Interstate 85 on 82 acres near the corner of Poplar Tent and Cox Mill Rd.; we are now K-11 and will add 12th grade in the upcoming 2015-16 school year. Our international and environmental focus provides the framework for learning to ignite interest, relevance, and significance for learning. Our teachers, staff and administration continually strive to garner the resources needed to perfect our professional practice, and thus each individual's access to a high quality education. INTERNATIONAL FOCUS We strive to deepen our school community's understanding of our individual and collective place in the world. The international framework provides a context to explore educational standards within various cultures and traditions. These comparisons and contrasts create relevance, interest and understanding. ENVIRONMENTAL FOCUS Our new eighty-two (82) acre campus affords our students the opportunity to beautiful scenery atop a hill overlooking vast expanses of greenery - within an urban zone. Beyond the beauty, however, students have an opportunity to apply concepts and skills to attain greater understanding. We have three (3) ponds, wooded areas, and access to a variety of insects and creatures. This allows for unrivaled opportunties for observation, testing, and written description that cross all disciplines.
February 12, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

There are nice teachers and there are not so nice teachers. Even if you don't like your teacher you will learn something. You won't pass the grade without teachers hard work.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

My grade doesn't get to much homework but not to much. If you have classwork leftover you should have enough time to finish it.

This is the third year my son is attending this school ((kg, 1st and 2nd) and I can't be more happy about what he is learning. He is excellent in Math and English for his age and the best part is sustainability and diversity is being introduced at the elementary level. I will give 5 stars.

We've been very happy with CIS over the last 3 years. The teachers are encouraging and try their best to have open communication with parents. The administration is striving for excellence and willing to listen to parents - they even hold round-table discussions once a month to keep everyone in the loop. I love that they are a green school and the campus is environmentally friendly. The class offerings have changed each year, but I've been pleased with the direction in which the school is going. They even offer AIG/STEM related activities for qualifying students. There are plenty of ways for parents and students to get involved and lots of extra-curricular activities. My only concern is the # of students in the upper grades, but hopefully by the time my kids are there, it will be a fully functioning HS with all the typical offerings you would get at a current public school. Like I said before, we've been very pleased thus far and look forward to seeing CIS grow in the future.

I would really like to give 4.5 stars, but lets go with 5, since we will return next year and my kid is getting better grades than ever before. I did my research and read plenty of reviews for this school last year before deciding to take a chance sending my son to CIS. He is now finishing up 6th grade and I am glad I we took the chance. We have experience with char-meck as well as small private schools to compare with CIS. I find the school to be large, but not so large where a student is just another number lost in the crowd. I love that there are plenty of extracurricular options (at least compared to the small private school) - sports, clubs, school play, etc. I think they just added varsity sports as well as girls soccer this year, so options are growning. Each child over 2nd(?) grade receives a laptop for the year, on which most courses/homework/projects are completed (at least in 6th grade). Because of this, you can frequently check your child's grades using the parent portal. The building and grounds are beautiful. I love the emphasis on the environment, being outside, etc so the kids aren't always stuck indoors. For the most part, the teachers are responsive, organized, and just nice folks in general. The things I dislike are sort of trivial. There is no cafeteria, all students eat in the classroom. There is no bus transportation, causing afternoon car line to be a pain. Being a "green school", I miss getting info the good old fashioned way, on paper, versus hunting through emails. There does seem to be somewhat of a high teacher turnover rate, which was alarming initially. It seems to have worked itself out around mid-year, but since plenty of work is web-based, my son could continue his classwork as per syllabus. Maybe an administration issue? This has been the only red flag for me. Nepotism: Haven't really seen it. Most schools have this to an extent anyway. Homework overload: I find myself worried about my kid not having enough homework. WAY easier than private school. Lots of homework is a GOOD thing! I do recommend this school to a parent looking for a new middle school. It's not perfect, but I believe it will get better with each passing year.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers who remained through the year seemed effective. My child seems to continually learn and have numerous in-class projects. The teachers always respond to my emails.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Most homework seems to be completed during "power hour". I would really prefer work brought home every day, and this hour used for something such as clubs or personal time.

My first grader dreads going to school every day. Every day there is at least an hour and a half of homework, four days a week, and the staff will accuse you of doing it for your kid if they think the handwriting is too neat. They ask you to come to meetings, only to ambush you with four or five people you didn't even know were going to be there. If your kid (first grader, mind you) doesn't pronounce the word "the" perfect every time, they insult them and you and say your kid needs speech therapy. I have never been so insulted ( for a second or third time) by a group of educators ( educators used loosely). And who knew that 50% of the teaching had to be done at home, after you work a full time job. And they have the nerve to try and take all the credit for your child's progress, when they are in fact doing a lousy job. Not to mention they don't have a gymnasium or a cafeteria, and the car line is the biggest joke ever. I could go on longer, but I don't have time. I have to leave my first job, and go to my second job teaching my kid. Think about it before sending your kid to this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

I spend about 2-3 hours every day trying to learn more about the brief intros they give to every subject.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There's too much homework, but even if don't turn it in, I still end up getting a 99 in a class.

Last modified Carolina International School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12