Public charter
Concord, NC
Before care: Yes

Carolina International School 5

Posted March 04, 2014
This is a great school. My child has been attending it for 2 years and is very happy and academically strong. We love it!

Posted January 30, 2014
I also have a child at CIS and overall we are very happy! I will say that I have seen some very positive improvements, particularly regarding communication with the recent change in leadership. I do challenge the school though to increase the overall academic rigor for our children. Most of us seek out specialty skills because we are looking for something "more". While the diversity can not be beat I do believe that increasing the baseline challenge learning particularly in the younger grades can be improved. I will say that the most of the teachers and it seems now that administration as well are willing to work with parents to see the children excel and exceed! At the end of the day we are glad we are apart of the CIS family!!

Posted January 30, 2014
I have two children in CIS ands we love it. The teachers are awesome. The school has recently gone through a leadership change that I am hoping will only improve the quality of learning. The diversity of education received at CIS is just not something you will find at the local county schools. I can only speak for K-5 but with the current change of leadership I will continue to send my student because I believe things are going in the right direction. Over 500 applicator for the new school year. Let the demand speak for itself!

Posted December 30, 2013
This school could have received 5 stars. Now that Ms. Nelmes has been released, this school may gain some type of unity considering close to 25 teachers have left in 2.5 years. That school had excellent teachers and an excellent assistant principal, Ms. Hoyle. Ms. Hoyle should have been the principal. That school lacked leadership and was ruled through fear and control. I hope the next leader that comes on board will help those teachers who are left to rebuild and get back to the main focus, teaching and developing. Power and control does not lead to successful students or raise teacher morale. Teachers teach because they love to teach. Hoping things will turn around for students and staff now that Ms. Nelmes is gone.

Posted December 12, 2013
We have had 3 kids in CIS. At first when Mr. Beall was the administrator the School was wonderful and the teachers were a breath of fresh air compared to CMS. The teachers gave full attention to the students and met them at their competence level. Since the Board fired Mr. Beall and the princeple and replaced them the school is now giving an education that is sub par to even some public schools. We finally moved and withdrew our kids to the local county public schools where many of their former CIS teachers escaped to. Though a public school there is less stress and favoritism than there was at the private fiefdom known as CIS. The good news is that the NCGA has loosened the number of Charter Schools that can be formed in NC and this may force CIS' Board to make changes to keep students. The current administration should not even be trusted with managing the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm Obedience School..

Posted October 01, 2013
I do not understand why quality teachers who genuinely care and understand individual students are constantly being let go and/or fired. Beginning in about 2011, the quality of the administration has been atrocious. I do not understand how these people were chosen to manage a school. I do not get any answers from anyone and there seems to be sort favoritism for students whose parents donate and volunteer often. One year is enough for my student.

Posted October 01, 2013
I was a student at Carolina International School from 2005-2010. From my experiences at CIS, everything was quite excellent up until 2009. I am surprised the school still holds such a high rating. The teachers were top-notch. There were a number of afterschool activities I could choose from and the class size (19-21) was ideal for being able to make and maintain relationships with friends and still be able to interact with a number of other people. The original director, Richard Beall left the 2007-2008 school year. After that, things at the school, went downhill. Afterschool opportunities were very much cut down for older students and there was a great exodus of many students because of the downfall in the quality of education. When I left in 2010, my siblings continued to attend CIS. The new management was atrocious and was not capable handling crises and the quality of education for middle and high school students is dropping. Overall, I feel that Carolina International School today, is not an ideal choice for any student. The quality of education for the elementary seems to be quite good, but I would never recommend this school for a student over the fifth grade level.

Posted August 22, 2013
I must admit the experience has been far better than I expected. After a year in private school, we were somewhat reluctant to make the leap to CIS. I have not been overly impressed with the administration, yet our experience with our classroom teachers more than makes up the difference thus far. Simple logistics like drop off and pick up assistance is often times lacking depending on the morning and the teachers assigned to the area. Overall, I am greatly pleased with our decision, and hope that the administration and core staff recognize opportunities for improvement and are committed to them. Lastly, the PTSO is very impactful and strong, despite the fact that only a few parents display the commitment to keep the organizations sound.

Posted August 01, 2013
Nepotism runs this school. If you are not in the click the rumors will be abound. It is sad because it can be a great school but instead it is all about telling people what they want to hear rather than the truth.

Posted June 04, 2013
Received an excellent education in the 7th on par with the previous private school education since K4 but will not be returning in the fall from our experience in the 8th! This year has been both a loss of returning & mass exodus of great teachers, leaving mostly 'lemons' to educate (some excellent teachers remain for elective courses). Reasons of budgeting has been the continued explanation provided as to why so many teachers have left. The week prior to EOC's, we were informed of the termination of the math teacher after receiving an email from said teacher that 14 of 20 chapters were not covered for the year. Administration is disorganized and non-informative. You will receive news through your child or the PTSO before hearing from school admin. I've given 2 stars because the PTSO is wonderfully managed with up to date information provided through their website and Facebook page and some teachers strive to do their best to educate children despite the lack of assistance. Overall, this school is extremely lacking in funding for efficient teachers, resources and organized administration which translates to a poorly managed middle and high school education for your child.

Carolina International School
9545 Poplar Tent Rd, Concord, NC  28027
Last modified Carolina International School is a Charter school that serves grades K-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carolina International School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top