Concord, NC

R B Mcallister Elementary 3

Posted May 01, 2014
Previous reviews are pretty accurate. While I've found the staff to be friendly and helpful for the most part, have had issues with the principal. There were two incidents where I went in to speak with her regarding minor bullying/exclusion issues regarding my son only to be blown off by her and told that "kids will be kids". Having dealt with the previous principal as well, I believe they made a serious mistake in letting him go. The comments about the parents being "clique-ish" are definitely spot on. Unless you come from "old money" or are married to a lawyer or doctor, forget it. Also, if your child happens to be gifted, this probably isn't the school for you. The AIG teacher is absolutely wonderful but there is still only so much they have to offer advanced students. My son is often bored despite the advanced curriculum. Their solution? To give him MORE boring worksheets as "busy work". Am looking into getting him into the STEM program for the following year or possibly even homeschooling.

Posted April 30, 2014
The staff at this school lack professionalism and work ethic. Previous reviews about staff catering to a select group of students is spot on. If you are not in the clique expect your child and your concerns as a parent to be brushed aside, and forget about being feeling welcome. Communication is often spotty at best for those of us that are not able to constantly be at the school. The principal lacks experience which is evident in her poor leadership skills and inability to effectively address parent concerns. Unless you already know the staff at this school in your personal life save yourself the headache and apply to a magnet, charter, or private school.

Posted February 04, 2014
I am very thankful my child has been a part of such a caring, supportive and positive learning environment. McAllister is a friendly school that welcomes everyone. Students are addressed by all staff members by their first name, which is rare at the larger schools. My child has received remediation when needed and been challenged in math and reading.I feel McAllister has given my child a strong foundation to be successful in middle school. We are proud to be part of the R. Brown McAllister Bobcat family!

Posted January 20, 2014
This little school has the most dedicated staff I have ever seen. The teachers and staff care for all of the students. And, our new principal is amazing. She encourages and supports the staff to make R Brown the best elementary school. She has ensured that the staff has the support they need to give each child individualized instruction. Our test scores show that they are doing something right. Our 5th grade scores are amazing. We are well above the other elementary school in our area. I am proud to be part of the R Brown family. And, as far as the character of the parents, I have found all of them to be warm and caring. R Brown has all the things you want for your child: caring staff and hands on learning. Science and History come to life at R brown. Math and Reading are individualized for each student. 1st -5th graders participate in a variety of clubs (robotics, world culture, gardening, drama, knitting, geocaching, poetry, science) If you are looking at schools for your family, visit R Brown. Come see our staff and parent involvement. Do not base your decision upon an online review. I know you will love what you see when you visit R Brown.

Posted December 09, 2013
This is one of the worst elementary schools! The teachers and staff cater to one group of students and their parents. Some of the teachers are rude, never smile and unprofessional. The principal does not care about your concerns; all I ever see or hear is the school asking for money for fundraising, and some of the teachers are always asking parents to help out if they can for supplies, ice cream money, ect... Even if you turned in your child's yearly supply fee. It is ridiculous. They ask for things more than they talk about how they can help your child succeed. If your child has any issues, they rather not deal with it and just judge your child. After school in the pick up line the kindergarten teachers ignore a certain group of students; instead of putting students in their vehicles from first to last, they pick their favorites to load first (it happens on a regular basis). I would not recommend this school to anyone. Every child should be treated equal; and at R. Brown McAllister, this does not happen!! I see why this school has low scores.

Posted August 04, 2013
R Brown MaCAllister is a great school! My child will be entering second grade this year and we have been very pleased with the school. This is a small town old school with a lot of heart. You feel like you are part of a family. My child's education and safety are the most important things to me. She is getting a great education at this school from teachers that care about education and they are increasing protecting are children in light of all the bad things that have happened at schools across our country. I am currently looking for a new home in Concord. I have many things that I want in my new home but the first and most important is that we remain in the same school. That limits where I purchase my new home but it is well worth it to stay at this wonderful school.

Posted April 30, 2013
What a wonderful school. I have 3 children attending and everyone has loved every minute. What a shame when people use the internet to vent their emosions. This school has been here a long, long time and through every generation they have held the childrens best interest as their only concern. Staff is very genuine and easy to talk to, student to teacher ratio is perfect and the families are very involved. It takes a village to raise a child and that is what r brown is all about. Every school has its ups and downs but R Brown has consistantly given children a quality eduacation for years and strives to continue to do so well into the future!

Posted December 11, 2012
It might require more of a challenge to the teachers, but not every kid learns in the same way so it would be a big help to expand your teaching skills to help every child achieve success. If a child is struggling it should be the teacher's job to find a teaching method that helps them instead of letting them fall through the cracks. I believe this school should have more resources, such as tutors and one on one help. They should also be more constructive after conferences and recognize the differences in learning styles that kids have. Yes, this is a nice small school and yes, some of the teachers are great, but there are also a lot of problems here if your child has ANY kind of special needs. I'm not referring to special education, I'm referring to different needs or extra help. There are a lot of nice people at this school but my child's needs are consistently being brushed aside and he is allowed to keep struggling.

R B Mcallister Elementary 4

Posted October 09, 2012
I have worked at R. Brown for a number of years serving ALL children who enter my classroom. I don't believe that I cater to any student or parent. I choose to stay at R. Brown because of our small community and my love for our school. I feel blessed to work with an innovative group of women who continually strive to be better each year. I wake up each day eager to teach your children; I do this with the knowledge that I may be considered undesirable. I hope that one day you see what I see in our little school.

Posted October 03, 2012
The previous review is spot on. In addition: - The principal is only in this position as a stepping stone to a county or city school administrative position. He doesn't care about students or parents. He sends his elementary-aged child to a Charlotte school rather than attending his school. - Parents in the clique get the choice teachers. There seems to be one undesirable teacher per grade (except kindergarten).

R B Mcallister Elementary
541 Sunnyside Drive Southeast, Concord, NC  28025
Last modified R B Mcallister Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
R B Mcallister Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top