Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My family moved to NC in June 2016 and so far Hough High School has been a disappointment. My husband and I moved mountains so that our girls (16 & 13) could attend Hough High and Bailey Middle. I was a bit concerned at the enrollment process for students coming in from the outside, but I had heard such great things that I didn't want to jump to any conclusions. Now that we have been baptized by fire I feel completely confident that my concerns in the beginning were justified. Hough High has a wonderful website; however, the staff falls back on it so much that it's being used as an excuse not to develop relationships with the students and parents. Very little effort is given to helping students adjust to their new environment. It's the throw them in to see if they sink or swim method. I keep hearing that the teachers are trying to prepare the students for college, but what we are experiencing is stressed teachers lashing out if the students don't understand classroom instruction the first, and typically only time they are spoken. In some cases the instructions are incorrect or critical points are left out and when it's brought to their attention the students are mocked for "not knowing" the "other way" of finding links and study guides on the teachers website. The school may be attempting to prepare its students for college but they forget that the students ARE IN HIGH SCHOOL..... Pushing a 16 year old kid to the point of daily anxiety and fear of asking a question is not preparing them for anything except the expectation that they are going to hate college as much as they hate school. Our experience has been that unless you enter this school district in 5th grade don't bother because you and your children will ultimately be treated as an inconvenience when you need assistance. It would benefit the school and it's students to develop a program that provides tools to assist families coming into the district after 5th grade. This area has been expanding and growing for the past three years but the school hasn't kept up with the growth which is shining a negative light on its reputation and its staff.

Supports LD students: Disagree

There is zero testing to identify a learning disability such as dyslexia even though they boat that they adjust the teaching environment to the students needs.

Develops character: Disagree

The teachers my daughter has experience with treat her like this is her second year of college instead of a Jr. in high school.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

They have a negative outlook on the CMS system and are obviously dissatisfied with either their career choice or with the way CMS treats them. I'm sure there are teachers there that enjoy their work, but we haven't found them yet.

The students will be well prepared at this school for college with homework, and projects.

As my last of 3 kids is graduating from CMS, I wanted to write and thank the staff and teachers a Hough for supporting and preparing my kids for college. While no school is perfect, I feel my kids had a great experience and are well prepared for college. Schools work best when the community and staff work together, and we see that at Hough. My only complaints are with things that are more an issue of the legislature and school board tying the hands of the school or gerrymandering the school zone. HUGE kudos to Dr. Laura Rosenbach who leads with skill and a true respect for students and teachers alike. I have great respect for her as a leader and only hope she does not leave. A shout out too to teachers Ms. Ciccarelli, Ms. Brang, Ms. McConnell, Ms. Andrews, Mr. Whitesides (gone) and Ms. Downey (gone). I also have to say that the counselors at Hough are so bright and supportive, especially Ms. Graves and Ms. Colbert from our experiences. They always go above and beyond. Thank you to all of you. I will continue to fight for NC public schools and amazing leadership like you all. Please know how much you are appreciated.

My child is a freshman and as a parent I found that the faculty & staff are engaged in the education & success of my child.

This high school is a fantastic school. Apparently this website has not been updated the scores since the school opened.

There are two types of teachers at W.A. Hough HS- those who are more concerned with the sports teams they coach, then with the academic improvement of the students and those who believe their mission is to politicize the classroom, mock any questioning (making sure to isolate the offenders) and stifle debate. So if you have really good athlete and/or practice identity polictics, by all means enjoy W.A. Hough HS.

I am a parent, My older son graduated last year in 2012 from Hough High. I now have a son who is n 9th grade. My older son started at North Mech for two years and when they opened went to Hough two years, It was nice to have a school closer to us. It is a nice school and has good teachers.

Last modified William Amos Hough High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.