Davidson, NC

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 13, 2015
My daughter is an African American child and has been at this school from the beginning. She is a rising 4th grader and is in the school's talent development program. I am extremely pleased with the staff. I moved to Davidson ONLY because of the great reviews of this school. I am grateful for this school. My daughter is at the top of her class and her academic achievement is recognized and rewarded.

Davidson Elementary 5

Posted June 10, 2015
I have had 3 kids go all the way through CMS from DES to DIB (now gone) to North and Hough. There are no such thing as perfect schools, and to those of you looking, good luck. I have found happiness and success working with my kids teachers and the school administration. There have been weak spots, but they were always addressed when appropriately discussed. My only issue with CMS has to do with the NC legislature that ties the hands of our schools and does not respect/pay our teachers well. They cut funds, return a portion and claim to be "in support of public education. To focus on the schools, however, I would like to say thank you to the great staff of DES. I will particularly call out Ms. Walker, Mr Underhill, Ms. Underhill, Ms. Ford (gone), Mr Smith and Mr. Rabb. Please know you have been instrumental in the lives of my kids. I will continue to fight for you and public education in NC. You are all amazing. The custodial staff and cafeteria workers and all support staff are special as well. Thank you.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 10, 2015
Special shout to Ms. Walker, Mr. Underhill, Ms. Underhill, Ms. Ford (gone), Mr. Smith and Mr. Rabb.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 10, 2015
At least when my kids were there, my last is now graduating from high school.

Posted May 19, 2015
Entirely too focused on testing, to the point that teachers and administrators can focus on nothing else. An extremely mixed bag of teachers and extremely poor leadership. It's a shame that a school with such potential is not coming close to meeting it.

Posted January 26, 2015
Very disappointing sums it up. We had a great year in 1st grade so we were hopeful for 2nd grade. Everything is about the test score here, which I know is the standard for most schools. I agree with previous posts, something needs to be done about the disruptive kids in the classroom that make the learning environment a negative one for those that actually listen to the teacher. The teacher can't do anything about it, although I could tell she wanted to. That is not the learning environment I want for my kids. I took my boys out of DES before the holidays and are happy at a charter. I wanted to give 1 star, but since 1st grade we had a wonderful class with an amazing teacher I gave 2.
2 people found this helpful

Davidson Elementary 5

Posted December 04, 2014
We moved to this school after many issues at another school. The teachers and students welcomed my children. The teachers go beyond the classroom often meeting outside hours and also just checking in on a child. The school promotes diversity. The school is also great at providing unique opportunities: science lab, stability balls instead if chairs, art shows, clubs with experts, a daily running fitness program, etc. the PTO is also a breath of fresh air, no selling magazines or candy here. It is a community, where parents, teachers, and community members serve the children.
4 people found this helpful

Posted June 22, 2014
Very mixed calibre of teachers coupled with poor leadership; disappointing result for what should be a great school in a great town!

Davidson Elementary 4

Posted May 17, 2014
The families, Davidson College student volunteers and community make DES better than the average CMS school. We have 2 children here and have had a pretty good experience. Most of the teachers are wonderful but a few seem to hate their job and it shows through to the kids. One particular teacher does not have the patience required to be teaching young children and has a reputation of screaming at the kids. It's unfortunate that the administration allows this to continue. This school has a long-standing reputation for being one of the better elementary schools in the CMS system but I fear the current leadership isn't strong enough to sustain the quality.

Davidson Elementary 4

Posted February 22, 2014
DES is a great school but is unfortunately burdened by ridiculous state and county bureaucratic requirements. Unfortunately the name of the game for public schools is testing and that is the focus of DES as well. The principal does a great job and does what he can to make necessary changes, but at the end of the day he is still subject to the confines of a dysfunctional state political system that keeps dropping in the national rankings. The majority of teachers are caring, motivated and communicate well with the parents. The parental involvement is fantastic.

635 South Street, Davidson, NC  28036
Last modified Davidson Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Davidson Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top