Posted September 19, 2014
CSD has done an excellent job of addressing the needs of our three kids, one of whom is quite gifted. Because of the teacher to student ratio, my boy's tracking issue was diagnosed and addressed (we didn't know that issue existed). We had pulled our kids out of public schools because our gifted kid was being "left behind" as public education was focused on the slower kids. My children were bored in the public schools, and now are fully engaged in school, challenged, and have learned to love reading and are being well prepared. We are very happy with our experience.

Posted June 29, 2014
Pulling my kids out of CSD in elementary school was the best thing I did for my children, even though I believed that getting in on the lottery was a blessing!!!! Great school for social misfits, and special needs. The "norm" is not addressed, and certainly not the gifted!! By high school, long term students have been academically scarred, but can star in any of the school's dozens of musicals and plays. If your child aspires to be anything other than blue collar, or have a life-long career with the Davidson Communuty Players, then GO ELSEWHERE!!!
3 people found this helpful

Posted April 05, 2014
CSD is not for everyone. No school is perfect. My husband and I have 4 kids at CSD, have relocated 3 times and have had kids enrolled in a very small private school, a large public school, as well as Charlotte public schools before enrolling our kids at CSD. As a parent, I will be always be involved in my children's education no matter what school they attend. That being said, overall CSD is a true community of loving, caring and involved parents and educators. We have enjoyed our time at CSD and our kids have thrived. They score in the 90+ percentile on their standardized testing (w/o CSD teaching to the tests), have strong relationships with their peers and their teachers. They've learned to value themselves and others, to work hard, to respect others and their differences and to give back to the community. However, now that they will be graduating their first senior class, they need to decide if they are going to be a school who focuses on special needs, the arts or sports. In my opinion, you cannot do all three successfully. They need a focus that includes academic excellence, global understanding, leadership as well as the New School philosophy.

Children's Community School 3

Posted January 16, 2014
The last three most recent reviews of this school are accurate. Lower school administration was unpleasant and extremely difficult to communicate with. I agree with a previous review that the administrator seems very "anti-gifted" or unwilling to work with children who may be advanced beyond their peers. Their philosophy of working with the child on an individual will not apply unless your child is average or below. It is unfortunate as some of the teachers are wonderful.

Children's Community School 3

Posted November 04, 2013
I agree with what has been said about gifted students. This school's philosophy is to keep everyone on the same level. I have had children at the elementary, middle and high school, and I would not send my kids here past 5th grade. When my children switched to the public schools they were behind in LA and math. The way the school does their grading and how they hand out merits is not the same criteria as other schools. During the middle school years a social agenda is pushed more than academics. The school has become very progressive and one of the high school administrators has a political background and no education experience. This administrator has made it a point to introduce civic engagement through the practicum programs. She is a town commissioner and has been quoted as wanting to get students involved in political change through her relationship with Youth Davidson. It is also true that a conservative would have difficulty here. The school does promote homosexuality, and high school students are steered towards social issues and non-profits rather than capitalist type of careers. Prospective parents need to go in with eyes wide open and not just follow the masses.

Posted October 09, 2013
This school is really only for typical kids not gifted and administration is terrible. Your children will not be allowed to speak there mind and if they do they get reprimanded. I suggest you just keep looking.

Children's Community School 2

Posted July 30, 2013
We found the lower school administrator to be very unpleasant and difficult to work with. Several parents and staff have complained. If you have a typical or autistic child, you will be fine. Parents with very bright kids or gifted children who embrace the Basic School Philosophy may be disappointed. Some young children with natural ability are held back and bored. Even the public school does a better job with gifted kids at least academically. The lower school administrator seems " anti gifted". If you can't meet or know the needs of academically gifted children, within the framework of the Basic School philosophy, just say so nicely.

Posted March 22, 2013
As a parent of a child in kindergarten this year, this school has been all that I had hoped it would be. The teachers are amazing and work so hard with my child to provide what she needs. There are excellent services available for children that need additional help. There is as much discussion with the teachers as I could possibly want and I just love walking my daughter into the school. The energy at CSD is beautiful!. Thank you CSD.

Posted December 12, 2010
This school is way to easy you don't get grades and don't have test and why can't people just send there kids to public schools!

Children's Community School 0

Posted October 12, 2010
This is the most amazing, innovative, hands on learning place I have ever witnessed. The name fits well also because it truly is a community experience from Kindergarten and up. I wish every child could receive this type of educational experience.

Children's Community School
404 Armour Street, Davidson, NC  28036
Last modified Children's Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Children's Community School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 105 reviews.