Maureen Joy Charter School 5

Posted October 25, 2013
Both of my children attend Maureen Joy. This is their first year. I have not had any problems with the school. The staff appears to be helpful and genuine. I personally do not have any negative thing or comment to say about the school. The main thing is that my kindergartener and my fourth grader love the school, and that s enough for me. I would give the school one hundred and ten percent of my support, just because of my children s opinion of Maureen Joy.

Maureen Joy Charter School 1

Posted October 09, 2013
My daughter's school is Maureen Joy. I was very impressed with the school's reputation under Ms Barbee. However, since new management of this school, it has declined in the quality of the education provided. My daughter started out as one of the highest achievers in her class, but with poor teacher student ratios and inexperienced teaching staff - my daughter has stopped participating in class and stopped completing homework assignments. I am deeply disappointed in the current direction of Maureen Joy charter school.

Maureen Joy Charter School 5

Posted October 07, 2013
My daughter is currently in 2nd grade and has gone to Maureen Joy since Kindergarten. The school has periodic Parent/Teacher conferences and daily agenda comments to and from teachers. Parents are welcome to come and observe classes (but not interrupt learning time). I have called, emailed, and texted my child's teacher on different occasions and these communications have always been welcomed. Some teachers have advance degrees and they all have exceeded my expectation. The school has been wonderful for us so far. Some may find it strict due to the uniform and merit/demerit system, but the children seem to be very respectful and know that there are high expectations for behavior and learning. Along with the expectations is what feels like a sincere level of care for the kids. Each one of my daughter's teachers has taken extra time with her to make sure she is getting what she needs in class. I was not sure what to expect when my daughter started school, but I am very glad she ended up at Maureen Joy.

Maureen Joy Charter School 1

Posted June 12, 2013
This School does not allow parents to have parent teacher conferences, the teachers can fail your child and mistreat your child and nothing is done about it. Some of the teachers treat children with favoritism so if they like your child they give them good grades if not they get an "F." Also they give your child a demerit for simple stuff like dropping a pencil or answering a question without raising your hand first. even if the child forgets by accident. It's called talking out of turn. Do not send your child to this school.

Maureen Joy Charter School 4

Posted April 06, 2010
Both my 1st and 7th grade boys attend MJCS. This is their 2nd year. This is my oldest's 2nd charter school. He has been in the same charter school since kindergarten. So I am used to the charter schools financial limitations. MJCS does what it can with what is has. I appreciate that they focus more of their finances on education than on extracurricular activities. However, this coming school year-2010/2011-they plan on adding more of those activities. Though I may not agree with everything or all choices a school makes... I will encounter that anywhere. If the only negative people have to say about the school is in regards to them not liking the school lunches then I consider that a positive. I did read one comment where someone mentioned that the science teacher does not teach... their were some issues but they have been resolved. That teacher is no longer at the school. I would recommend MJCS to any parent and I have done so. Based on my recommendation, some of my family has enrolled their children at MJCS! Go Jaguars!!!

Posted September 04, 2009
my child has been a student of Maureen Joy since the 4th grade now a 7th grader. The school faulty works very hard to help the student achieve. Any misbehavior is dealt with quickly and fairly. Being a special needs child the staff always assist her and she is excelling in her reading and math scores are on the raise. I thank the staff for working with us and if Maureen Joy could go to the 12th it would be and assist to her and other students

Posted July 23, 2009
My child also hates this school. there are no lockers for middle school, no labs, extracurricular activities and the school lunch is awful and the school is under a bad influence

Posted December 31, 2008

Posted November 15, 2008

Maureen Joy Charter School 4

Posted October 22, 2008
This is my childs second year at this school, I eally like Maureen Joy and would recommend it to everyone, the classes are small and the are only teo classes per grade which gives the teachers and staff the oppertunity to address each childs needs, Dr Stien is a wonderful school dirertor and if their is a problem that you need address, he will take care of it, No there is not much extra curricular activities but there is not much funding for the charter school, so they have to pick and choose what more important, such as tutoring for children that need it so they can excel.

Maureen Joy Charter School
107 South Driver St, Durham, NC  27703
Last modified Maureen Joy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Maureen Joy Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.