Durham, NC
Before care: Yes

Posted April 08, 2014
This is a great school and we are so happy to have found it. The public schools in Chapel Hill have a decent reputation, but I wanted more for my kids. We definitely got what we were looking for! My child is in the upper elementary program now and started in the toddler program. My child is engaged and is enthusiastic about learning inside and outside the classroom. What is nice is that other parents from different schools notice that MCS kids stand out - they ask thoughtful, intelligent questions, they are independent, resourceful, kind, polite, and are natural leaders in group situations. It's a wonderful community of engaged parents and faculty. There are many social events to get to know other parents and children. My child has made some great friends that will last a lifetime. The campus is huge - the view from the street is not the entire school! I would encourage you to take a tour and learn more about all there is here. There is a new Science Lab, an Art Room with a Clay Studio, a Music classroom, sport field, sand volleyball, and many play ground areas.

Posted October 29, 2013
I have two sons currently in their second year at Montessori Community School-- one in the Adolescent Community and one in Upper Elementary. We chose this school after becoming unhappy with the limitations of nearby Cary, NC (Wake County) public schools, which seemed to be focusing more and more on test scores and less and less on fostering an environment where children would be consistently treated with respect and kindness. I'm sure budget cuts related to the economic downturn played a large part (high test scores = more funding), but my kids were really beginning to struggle in a system that stifled their individuality. Enrolling in MCS has been hands down the absolute right thing for our family. I can't say enough about what a wonderful community it is! Teachers are interesting, dynamic, enthusiastic, and sincere. The Head of School is fantastic-- intelligent, dedicated, caring, engaged, and clearly excited about and proud of her school. And my kids are thrilled to be having more choices and taking a more active part in their own learning and development. I'd give this school more than 5 stars if I could! Highly recommended.

Montessori Community School 4

Posted May 22, 2012
Read this review with the knowledge 1) I am an Asian and we want our kids to do excellent in academics. 2) This is critique of Montessori System in general Montessori system was developed in east Europe 100 years ago where most people would learn a vocation by the age of 15 or so - and do that for life. Now, we all study up to age 21 or so without much specialization, and then decide on specialization. What worked 100 years back may not work today. The specific criticism is that: 1) Most kids is public school can read by KG, not in MCS. The reason being - let the kid choose what he wants to do. If your kid is lazy, he won't learn to read - irrespective of how bright he is. 2) MCS kids come from highly educated families - as it is a private school. However, the performance of kids in standardized tests is just average till grade 3. Again blame it on Montessorie - kids are not forced to learn hence they don't learn. 3) The staff and teachers at MCS are pleasant - and your kid would like it here because they get 2 hours of play plus 30 min lunch each day. I don't know of any case of bullying.

Montessori Community School 0

Posted December 28, 2009
This is an excellent school from toddler age - middle school. Wonderful and caring teachers and staff, bright and beautiful learning space and lots of outdoor learning environments.

Posted July 08, 2004
Montessorri Community school provides the academic and social enrichment needed for our children to grow in the best way possible. Though small in size, we find it the 'perfect fit' for our two sons. We are entering our third year as a family of the Montessorri Community school and wonder in awe with each passing year...'could there be a better place'? The Elementary School program is superb. The teachers actually care about the sucess of each child. Highly recommended!

Posted November 17, 2003
My daughter attends Montessori Community School and loves it. What I like best about it is the feeling of community, like every parent there is a friend and is involved in making the school a better place. Barabra Crockett is to be commended for her hands-on leadership and vision for the school. The school is planning a major expansion and I am looking forward to having my youngest daughter attend next year.

Montessori Community School
4512 Pope Road, Durham, NC  27707
Last modified Montessori Community School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Montessori Community School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top