Posted October 17, 2013
The Hill Center is an amazing place. My son began attending the Hill Center his Sophomore year. After one week he came home and said - you know, I'm not stupid, I learn differently. I belong here. The 4:1 pupil:teacher ratio is magical stuff. No hiding and you child progresses at a pace good for him - not the entire class. My son gains a bit more confidence each day. His math skills are strong, his English skills exceptional and he holds his own in Spanish. The Hill Center diffused the pressure of education for our family - allowing us all to work together rather than the friction we experienced with other schools. All children should be able to attend a school like the Hill Center - it is the poster child of what learning should look like.

Posted June 16, 2013
We just completed our third year at the Hill Center, my daughter began in 6th grade. I can not say enough about the approach, quality of teachers and overall educational progress she has made. This past year she made all A+'s in her courses, taking a writing class with highschool students. If you want a school that is able to see the learning differences of your child as an advantage in life and provide the real strategies for success, this is the place to be.

Posted June 11, 2013
My first grader was diagnosed with ADHD and was significantly behind others first graders in reading and writing. He went to the Hill Center half days during second grade and make phenomenal progress in reading and writing and exceled in math. Most importantly to me, he continues to express interest in learning and has gained confidence in his abilities. He no longer says he isn't as smart as the other kids. I highly recommend the Hill Center.

Posted April 11, 2010
I went to the Hill Center for 2 years-2007-2008, then 2008-2009. I had a great time going there and it helped me so much! We had a great carpool and the teachers are all so nice and are there if you need help with anything.

Posted November 18, 2009

Hill Center 0

Posted November 17, 2009
Hi--My children each attended Hill for two years. Their lives are completely different because of those two years. I would also like to address what an earlier review said about child's emotional needs not being met because he was not put in a class with his same age peers. Since it is a remediation school there will be subjects where kids need more remediation--and some kids need less. One of my children was in a group of younger kids for math and older kids for reading and writing. My other child was the exact opposite--younger kids for reading and writing and older kids for math. It would not benefit a child to put him in a class of his same age peers if he could not perform at that level. The Hill Center places children according to the level they can work at--it's nothing personal.

Hill Center 1

Posted September 17, 2009

Hill Center 2

Posted April 24, 2009
Our son attended Hill Center and we have been unhappy. They seem to have developed a methodology that does help children with learning differences, however they were very unresponsive to our son's emotional needs. He was placed with students that were functioning 2 to 3 years behind our son socially and couldn't understand my son's frustration and refused to do anything about it. My advice is to hire a good tutor and save yourself alot of money

Posted February 24, 2006
Our son attended Hill Center 10 years ago and was working at grade level but with great difficulty. He recently was named by the Department of Education as a nominee for a Presidential Scholar award on the basis of his performance on the SATs. Hill was instrumental in helping him realize his potential. I would encourage everyone with children who suffer from learning abilities to send their kids there if they can.

Posted April 01, 2004
Excellent individual instruction from loving teachers. If your child is dyslexic or has learning difficulties this is the school. My son attended a private school that supposedly had a good student teacher ratio, but he never got the personalized instruction that he needed. The best private schools can't do what the Hill Center does. The one to three ratio makes all the difference. If you have to choose between a private school and the Hill Center, choose the Hill Center. You can home school your child or send him to a public school in the afternoon, but don't make the mistake of believing that a private school can give your child what the Hill Center can. There is no comparison.

Hill Center
3200 Pickett Road, Durham, NC  27705
Last modified Hill Center is a Private school
Hill Center Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews.