Triangle Day School

Private | K-8 | 190 students

Living in Durham

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $181,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Sweep tile

Posted November 12, 2013

Triangle Day School is uplifting, caring, kind, nurturing, inclusive and positive. And in this safe and supportive culture a lot of learning happens. We came to Triangle Day School from homeschooling, and my expectations for academically challenging work are high. Class differentiation in middle school provides the pacing and subject matter difficulty that keep my children engaged. The project work helps further develop understanding and introduces variety. I am grateful to the clever and energetic teachers who are the backbone to this great program. TDS sports have been another super experience for my kids. The school (5th-8th) fields teams all year round and my kids have loved learning sports new to them and sharing what they know about their favorites.

Posted November 30, 2012

This is our child's second year at TDS and we couldn't be more pleased. Small class size means every child gets extra attention. Our son's teacher seems to individualize work for to the correct level for each student in the class (didn't know that kind of individualization of lessons was even possible.)

Posted July 7, 2012

We are so happy at TDS. This is my daughters 6th year there. The teachers are very professional, the administration is is helpful, and the families are great. I highly recommend TDS to anyone looking for a rigorous education in a warm and loving environment.

Posted June 24, 2012

2 3 4 5 The school is not the same school we enrolled in. Some of the teachers have a problem bullying the students and not realizing how much it hurts their self esteem. The leadership is lacking but they are in the process of searching for a new head of school Many families have voiced complaints and hopefully new leadership will help.

Posted September 29, 2011

I have 4 children at TDS and my wife and I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of education, the school's leadership, and the availability of the teachers. This has truly been the best decision we could have ever made for our children.

Posted July 6, 2011

Before we decided on TDS we toured several schools without regard to price. When we walked in the school we felt at home. The faculty were very friendly, knowledgeable and professional. The kids we interacted with were friendly and confident. We knew that TDS was the school for our kid and in the two years she has been attending she has thrived. The past two summers she has attended camps at another larger independent school and she, on her own, asked the teacher for more difficult homework! TDS addresses the whole child through academics and character building. If you have not toured the school do yourself and your children a favor and do it.

Posted July 6, 2011

My children are very happy at TDS. We feel like the staff listen to our input and makes every attempt to address any concerns or needs we may have. I love the small class sizes and the ability to feel you can make a difference in this setting.

Posted January 26, 2011

My 3 children (1 now in HS) have been enrolled in this school for many years. I have seen a lot of growth over this time. The facilities have grown as has the Curriculum. Dedicated teachers and staff work to foster a community feeling and to teach the individual child. Every child has their own set of strengths and challenges; our teachers work hard to provide for the needs of each child. Lower Schools classes 'buddy' with other LS classes. Middle School kids participate in "Crossroads" to partner with Lower School kids. We have a very high participation rate in our MS sports. There is a before school walking program for kids to add some extra movement to their day. Our PA sponsors Wellness Seminars for parents on topics like Internet Security and Healthy Body Image. Our after school program includes enrichment instructors. There are so many opportunities available to be involved at Triangle Day School. Many new parents share statements like 'My child has blossomed here! I wish we had started here earlier!" As a parent, you just need to say 'Yes!'

Posted August 22, 2010

There are some enrollment issues at TDS but that has nothing to do with the awesome teachers and great environment the school has. I hope this school holds strong through the tough times in the last few years. It truly is a magical place to work with students!

Posted August 17, 2010

This is a wonderful school community with teachers, students, and parents who are invested in its success. Students work to build understanding, not just accumulate facts. Teachers are encouraged to combine traditional and more progressive approaches to meet the needs of the students. As a teacher, I feel that the administration respects my point of view and listens to my ideas. With the new leadership, enrollment is growing, and the school is headed in a very positive direction.

Posted July 14, 2010

This school does have a nice faculty and staff - no one can argue with that. Classes here are TOO small with lots of enrollment troubles -- can be difficult for kids to find social circle (for example, some classes may have only 4 girls, etc). A lot of people wonder if this school will survive much longer. It seems to be on very shakey ground.

Posted May 11, 2010

The teachers here are fantastic and caring. They are supportive and have taught the children far more than just the academics. I appreciate the professionalism and the training of the teachers and staff, too. What a great school in too many ways to mention here.

Posted May 11, 2010

There are so many things I like about TDS...but I think what stands out the most is the sense of community. Everyone seems to care about each other and is willing to help out even when not necessary. I am totally satisfied with the quality of education that takes place here. Wouldn't go anywhere else!

Posted May 11, 2010

I loved working here and was sad to go. The school has so many things right - they are professional but personal - they have high standards but make them attainable for the students through one on one support and quality group teaching - they welcome fresh and new teaching ideas but don't lose the quality of time tested strategies. An overall well balanced school that educates the mental, physical, and emotional aspects of each child.

Posted March 3, 2009

One of the best schools to work in ever! I was a teacher at TDS for four years and could not have been happier. Every experiences has been compared to the one at TDS. My colleagues were caring individuals who poured their hearts into their classrooms. We worked together as a team to create an environment that was loving and educational for each student. The parents are supportive of their children and the faculty. I am deeply sadden though that the current head does not value the opinions or knowledge of the faculty. He seems to make decisions about the school without knowing what the history of this special place is about. He is also driving out the best teachers he could find because they want respect from him. Hopefully this will change and TDS will once again be the special place it has been for the entire

Posted October 30, 2007

This is our 6th year at Triangle Day School. We currently have two children there in the lower school. One of my favorite things about the school is the family feeling you get when you are there. The older kids know the younger kids and the faculty knows each child by name. The school is challenging yet help is there if you need it. My children have thrived there. The school really helps children become self confident in all areas of their lives. The parental involvement is huge and contributes to that family feeling. We have had great years there and look forward to being in the middle school next year.

Posted October 25, 2007

We have two children at Triangle Day School, (TDS) one in 3rd grade and one in 8th, so we have experience with both Upper and Lower Schools. We could not be happier with their entire educational experience. It is a small school and every child is known by name to all faculty and staff members. My oldest child attended public school prior to our enrolling her in TDS and had done well. However, at TDS she blossemed. She is involved in sports, drama, etc. She has never been happier. Both childen are challenged and nutured, a difficult balance to achieve, but TDS does it. Sending two children to private school is a stretch for us financially. Having two children who love going to school is priceless.

Posted October 10, 2006

TDS offers a full and rich curriculum characterized by challenging academics, meaningful learning opportunities in specials (Spanish, Art, PE, Drama, Science Lab, and Technology) and an emphasis on the development of problem solving skills. Administration, faculty, and staff are genuinely interested in getting to know students and families. The school emphasizes respect for self and others. TDS offers an interesting and diverse selection of after-school activities.

Posted October 6, 2006

Our son has had a great experience during his five years at TDS. They have done a great job balancing the needs of the individual student with the needs of the classroom. The school is strong academically with great teachers and there is a lot of parent involvement.

Posted October 6, 2006

Our Favorite Triangle Day School Things: The buddy program with the older kids mentoring the younger ones, hot home made school lunches, 3 days of active gym per week, weekly Spanish from grade K, a specialized science teacher as well as a 'technology' teacher (aka... computers!). Specialized art and drama art. All in dedicated class rooms! We have been at Triangle Day School for 3 years. Notice I say 'we'. Actually our daughter is the student but I say 'we' because this is truely a family environment and a community. This school is without a doubt a hidden secret and the best balance of excellent scholastics and a warm loving enviroment. I can honestly say that my child absolutely loves school and learning. She loves her teachers and her class mates. She is nurtured and hugged as well as taught decipline and respect. Pros: Student Centered, Energetic Motivated Teachers

Asian 5% N/A
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0% 2%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4911 Neal Rd