PK-6|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

This school used our son's photo in advertisements after they kicked him out because they couldn't meet his needs. Incidentally, they kicked him out just days after the start of his second year there, despite knowing him well from the year before and his attendance at summer camp, so in my opinion there is really no good reason that they couldn't have figured out that this was a bad fit earlier. We are not the only family who has had a child kicked out after a year or more of attendance, so if your kid has ADHD or anything similar, stay away. I accept that not all schools can take on such students, but I also feel that there is no excuse for the timeline of the experience that we and others have had. And the photos in their ads? Insult to injury. My advice is to look elsewhere.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Some teachers were excellent but others seemed very unwilling or unable to meet the needs of our son.

My daughter spent the first six years of her out-of-home education here, before moving her to the Duke School. At the Duke School, she outperformed every other student in her class in math, writing, and science, and her teachers claimed to be very surprised at how well prepared she was, compared to all her peers, who had been at Duke School for years. So her six years at MCHD seem to have paid off, which was a pleasant discovery for us: she had so much fun during those six years, and enjoyed her classroom so much, that she didn't have any of the negative affect that seems so frequently to be associated with a high level of academic accomplishment.

My child is in her 3rd year at MCHD, and will be back next year too. We discovered MCHD when we relocated to the area, and were looking for Montessori programs. I was immediately impressed with warm, supportive environment and the fantastic teachers. The school is a true community. Our child's teacher knows each of her students well, seeing them for who they are and working with them to develop their curiosity, wonder, empathy, compassion, and love of learning. Every kid I've interacted with at MCHD demonstrates their interest in learning and their enthusiasm for school. The curriculum flexible, allowing children to work and learn at their own pace, while also remaining challenging. By any metric, my child is well prepared for her next academic year. That would be true whether we were remaining at MCHD or transitioning to another school. That said, I most value the deep love of learning and the foundational skills (e.g. critical thinking, self-regulation) my child is developing every day at MCHD.

When my wife and I made the decision to move to Durham, we took the opportunity to observe and evaluate a number of local schools, both public and private, in an attempt to find the best fit for our twins. The Montessori Children's House of Durham stood head and shoulders above the rest of them, not because it tried to impress with flashy facilities, but because of the profound respect it demonstrated for the unique potential of every child within its classrooms. We have enjoyed watching our previously shy children blossom, both in confidence and in curiosity of mind, and we look forward to several more years with the tremendous teaching staff, and the community that we have become a part of.

My daughter is rising to 8th grade in public school after attending MCHD through 6th grade. Every year I see more and more foundational skills in her work, attitude, and capabilities that were born and nurtured at MCHD. I'm going to boast now in gratitude for what MCHD has taught my child (and many others)--conflict resolution, flexibility, creative thinking, writing skills, advanced literacy, intrinsic motivation, and community awareness....just to name a few! In the top 5% of her class, she was chosen to take part in the Duke TIP program and took the SAT this past winter. At her school's end-of-year award ceremony she was awarded by NC for being among the highest SAT scores in the state. Our early investment was totally worth it, and then some. Thank you MCHD!

No amount of money can buy the love of learning, The experience my two children had during their years at Montessori Children's House of Durham led them to truly care about their education They came home each and every day excited about what they were doing, and asked daily through the summer months, "When do we get to go back to school." Each day, I am amazed at the individuals I see blossoming as a result of the magic that takes place in the classrooms. The teaching Staff truly cares about each child as an individual and strives to foster their development academically, socially, spiritually and emotionally. I urge all parents searching for a learning environment that will foster the individuality of their child to consider MCHD. For us, it doesn't get any better!

Kids will become lifelong learners only if they are really passionate about learning. But how do you get kids passionate about learning? Tom Sawyer knew how to get other boys interested in painting a fence: not by offering to reward them if they do or punish them if they don't, but by showing them how fun and special painting a fence could be. Most schools try to get students to learn by offering to reward them if they do and punish them if they don't. But the Montessori Children's House knows Tom Sawyer's trick: to get students to learn, show them how fun and special it can be. Both of my kids have been here since the age of three (my daughter has been here five years and my son two), and both of them have thrived beyond my expectations or even my hopes. I wish I could have enjoyed my school as much as they enjoy theirs, and learned as much as they're learning. I don't know what they will choose to do with their lives, but I am confident that they will have the passion necessary to make the choice themselves, and to make their choice work. This school does not produce memorizers -- it produces entrepreneurs (in the original sense of the term).

My wife and I are deeply grateful that our daughter was able to attend the Montessori Children s House of Durham for six wonderful years. She always looked forward to going to school, thrived in the Montessori learning environment, went on to do exceptionally well in high school and college, became a highly respected Montessori teacher herself, and is now the proud mother of three happy Montessori educated children. We owe so much to this school and its wonderful staff. The Montessori Children s House is a Durham treasure. Parent of MCHD Graduate

Montessori Children's House of Durham (MCHD) is a FANTASTIC school. We ve been blown away by just how wonderful the teachers are and equally impressed by the whole school. They ve built an environment in which children genuinely flourish. Our brief experience with other schools makes clear what a gem MCHD is. Our kids are independent, excited about learning, and very well-educated thanks to MCHD. And the beautiful new campus has made things even better, offering spacious, peaceful, classrooms and large, attractive, playground areas. This school has been, for our family, and for our many friends whose kids are there, a real blessing.

Last modified Montessori Children's House of Durham is a Private school that serves grades PK-6