Research Triangle Charter 1

Posted April 02, 2015
When I first heard about RTCA I thought that they were doing great things at their school. I talked to several people who had sent their children/grandchildren there before and they told me to stay clear. After being hardheaded and sending my child to this school I now realize that I made a horrible decision. The leadership lacks proper experience to deal with children. They allow children to jump on weaker children and then when the child defends themselves they kick them out of school. This school is HORRIBLE when it comes to communicating with parents. If your child has a continuous issue with another child they will not allow you to have a conference with the other parent and child. The assistant principal lacks skills to deal with parents who actually care about their child's well being. Additionally, the lunch is subpar at best. They have to microwave each "mystery meal" and some days the truck that delivers the meals doesn't even show up.

Posted February 19, 2015
the school is the best, i am glad my son attend it, the learning are great, the teacher are nice and helpful, i love the school policy and program

Research Triangle Charter 2

Posted November 04, 2013
I don't want to knock this school, because academically, your child will thrive IF you work with them at home too. I had to confront the teacher about keeping me in the loop early on in the school year regarding my son's in class performance on assignments. If your child tends to be the "typical" very active boy this is not the school for your child. My son attended this school for kindergarten and the 1st 2 months of 1st grade. The school lacks teachers with experience dealing with very active students. When asked if my child could be transferred into a teacher with more years of experience my request was denied TWICE. If your child isn't one of those kids that stays focused ALL day, the teachers nick pick at EVERYTHING they do from talking to yelling answers out without raising their hand. If your child needs a program for being academically gifted, this school doesn't have it. I have switched to Durham Public Schools and I m so glad I did. DPS understand that kids will be kids and not discipline for everything they do. Three days out of school suspension of a 5 year old in one month is just RIDICULOUS!! The explanation the principal gave was "We had to do something!" No Thanks!
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 23, 2013
This is our second year at rtca...I now have a kindergarten and 2nd grade student. I'm very pleased overall. The teachers are easy to communicate with, the administration is great and my kids are happy to go. The car pool line is crazy but will settle down as the year progresses. I love the way the school seeks out ways to Schiavo encourage students to be leaders and behave through positive incentives. The whole class may receive a punishment (usually walking laps) but they don't make the kids change their color for a class misbehavior...that is just an indicator of individual behavior. The homework loss is very appropriate..one page of math and one of penmanship/spelling and then reading. We are very happy overall with this school. My son is very advanced in reading and they are able to work with him at his level to constantly improve...They are not letting him slide because he is ahead.

Posted September 15, 2013
It's sad that the reviews for this school are being dragged down by reviews from years ago. I love this school and Dr. Carson will always be supported by my husband and I. The private school we wanted her to get into since she turned 2 years old sent us away last year. This year they would have accepted her ... but we declined. She's thriving, why move her? It's not perfect, but the teachers and staff are wonderful. They are honest and helpful. They tell you what is really going on with your child so that they can help find solutions and help them. What parent wants to be left in the dark about their child's true progress? Dr. Carson is doing a fantastic job.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 02, 2013
My daugther is in 1th grade and the teacher are amazing..always attenden my request the teacher are very friendly......everybody know everybody and I like that!!!

Posted November 27, 2012
I love the school. My kids were there for 3 years and it was an awesome experience. I left this school year and I missed the school so bad. The teachers at RTCA really care for each child and they want each one of them to succed. I volunteered as much as I could and the teacher were always nice.

Research Triangle Charter 4

Posted November 26, 2012
My child is in Kindergarten this school year. I am very impressed with his teacher. I am a very involved in my child's school life and I expect a lot of him. His teacher understands this and we email almost daily. My son lets me know daily what "my teacher said to do it this way". The principal is new, but seems to be making changes for the better. I highly recommend this school to parents seeking positive reinforcement and a sense of comfort within the school.

Posted March 28, 2012
This is by far the best school that my children have attended. We went to three schools in three years. Regular public schools have nothing on RTCA. All of the teachers are caring and dedicated. I do not see any difference in treatment between kids. I try to volunteer regularly and do so unexpectedly, and it is always a pleasant experience. Furthermore, their orchestra, band, and art programs are some of the best! My children will continue to attend until their time to move on to high school.

Research Triangle Charter 4

Posted February 22, 2012
My daughter is in kindergarten at RTCA. So far, I am pleased with the school. She is learning well and getting plenty of homework, I can see her maturity since the beginning of the year. She went from not really reading to writing sentences and she works very well on her own. She gets along with the other students and loves her teacher. New Principal this year and seems to be still feeling his way through but has made a couple of changes for the better. I have not yet gotten involved with the Parent Association but would like to next year.

Research Triangle Charter
2418 Ellis Road, Durham, NC  27703
Last modified Research Triangle Charter is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Research Triangle Charter Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top