Duke School 1

Posted May 12, 2014
I am am student at duke school, in the middle school and I could not be more unhappy with my education and learning. This year, teachers called students hot messes, evil dictators, stupid etc. and it did affect my learning. They don't work with me individually and when they do, it never helps me. Duke school is very different than other schools, with no lockers but cubbies, the concept of 'project learning' which is just not smart, calling teachers by their first names, not teaching grammar, and 50 people a grade. Duke School has not prepared me to be going to highschool or 8th grade. The lower school, however really helped me grow as a child but the middle school made me stressed out and quite frankly, not so smart. I've been at duke school all my educational years and now it is time for me to leave. I know I am young, but please believe when I say that I DO NOT recommend duke school as a supportive, relaxed environment to grow as a learner. I would reccomend somewhere else in the triangle area like Durham Academy, Triangle Day School, Cary Academy, Trinity, but do not send your child into middle school at duke school. You will regret it. I did.

Posted April 26, 2014
Duke School is everything that I could hope for in a primary school for my two kids. I have been a Duke School parent for 6 years and can unequivocally say that it is a fantastic learning environment for kids. I have no concerns/complaints about the school at all. Initially I was concerned about possible elitism at a private school (having done my undergraduate work at Duke University). This does not exist at Duke School. There are also NO drugs, concerns about boy-girl interaction, or cliquish behavior. Duke School benefits from graduating its kids at the 8th grade level, and while at first I thought this would be a drawback, it has turned out to be the opposite. By not having high school kids around the younger kids, there is not the older kid influence on the middle schoolers. I would not change a thing about Duke School and would recommend it to anyone without reservation.

Posted February 13, 2014
We have been very happy since transitioning our two children to Duke School. Our son was under the radar at his previous school. We assumed this was because he was well-behaved and had no problems with his schoolwork. Since joining Duke School, his teachers have engaged him, challenging him to improve his work and ask thoughtful questions. Good enough is not enough. We made the transition primarily because of our son. But, within the first several weeks at Duke School, it was clear that our daughter was benefiting greatly. She made a lot of friends and her teachers were dynamic and caring. The curriculum integrates technology with didactic learning, and the project-based work allows the children to be creative and take 'deep dives' into various subjects. it is evident that the teachers put in a tremendous amount of work to help each child execute their vision with the projects.

Posted January 01, 2014
Individualized instruction for kids, especially gifted/high performing kids, fabulous, in-depth project work that engages kids and teaches them 21st century skills, caring, tight knit community, safe, beautiful campus. The teachers are warm and caring and the teacher to student ratio is the best around. By middle school, kids are independent learners who care about the world around them and each other. Virtually no bullying, fights, drugs, etc. at all at this school!

Duke School 3

Posted March 03, 2011
coming up on our 3rd year with Duke School. PRO's: challenging curriculum. lots of extracurricular activities, real life projects. However, seems like we see a few kids go in the lower school classes each yr. Not a school really geared towards "individual" child. If you don't fit the Duke School Learner mold...you suddenly feel like u are under the microscope. Close monitoring of student progress is a plus but it often feels more political, financial, weed out based than on the actual growth of the student. Campus is sterile looking and less community feel compared to previous campus. Can seem elitist but we have still met some very nice individuals. not much room for informal talks with teachers unless pre arranged face to face or you are there volunteering for lunch coverage. Director seems aloof and with chain of communication instructions, you might have little to no interaction with her. Overall good school but does not value uniqueness.

Duke School 1

Posted June 23, 2010
Education/communication practices are outdated and inflexible, and decisions are made about individual children without engaging parents. Groupthink resulted in poor decisions for our child, who was labeled in ways shown to be incorrect after evaluation. Badly managed project-based learning fosters cliques. I questioned whether the children on the inside of the cliques were gaining valuable life skills as we watched our child react to being excluded. We asked an administrator for help, but her only response was to ask us what our plans were for next year. Our child received less attention after we did not renew our contract. We heard through several educator/psychologist/parent sources that DS is less flexible with meeting the needs of individual children than many other private schools in the area. Our child's behavior and overall progress improved immediately and dramatically at a new school with a better social environment and more diverse student body.

Duke School 3

Posted February 02, 2010

Posted January 11, 2010
Duke School has a unique ability to engage children in learning unlike any school I have seen. The curriculum is demanding yet made exciting and engaging by the caring and exceptional teachers. This is a revolutionary school and the way it should be everywhere. My children have learned to love learning.

Posted June 03, 2009
Our kids have learned to be leaders, work with others and most importantly to love learning . A great school, with enivornmentally friendly facilities and an amazing faculty.

Posted May 18, 2008
My nieces have gone through Duke School from preschool into the Middle School. They always wake up wanting to go to school. They are inspired to love learning and have a fascination with the world here. The project-oriented learning allows them to study interesting topics in depth. They have been doing this with increasing skill from preschool on up. They become experts on a multitude of topics like aerodynamics, African tribes, Colonial healing, native plants, and so much more. In addition to reading and writing about topics, they directly observe things, experiment with them, act them out, build models to scale, collect data to graph and analyze the data mathematically. They learn to solve complex problems, and to work collaboratively with peers. As they gain expertise on a topic, the students learn to share their knowledge with others through factual and fictional writing, to represent their learning through 3D models, varied types of art work, museum-style displays, drama, computer simulation, and multi-media presentations. I ve learned almost as much from them as they have.

Contact Information

3716 Erwin Rd
Durham, NC 27705

School website

Duke School
3716 Erwin Rd, Durham, NC  27705
Last modified Duke School is a private school that serves grades PK-8
Duke School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews.