Public charter
Durham, NC

Posted May 20, 2015
Voyager Academy has been a blessing for our two children! My oldest child attended both private school, and public school and Voyager has by far surpassed both! The teachers in both the elementary school and the middle school have been absolutely amazing. They have done an incredible job differentiating the curriculum and have provided both of our children with rigorous and academically challenging work. My son is now in the Duke Tip program, and is AIG identified. Both of our children LOVE school which has been wonderful! The teachers truly love their jobs and are very dedicated to their work. It is very apparent that they truly love the kids. There is great parental involvement, and the school is a wonderful community. We have been very happy and pleased with both our Elementary, and Middle school experiences at Voyager.

Posted March 05, 2015
Voyager Academy is a PBL or(Project-based learning) charter school in Dyrham North Carolina. Our school has exceptional teachers that will endure your child in learning. At Voyager "I can't" isn't an option. I'm in the 6th grade and I have been here since the third grade. I was one of the first V.A. Elementary schoolers. I had a blast with my teachers. And best of all everything that we did had meaning behind it. We didn't go on fieldtrips just to go on them, but to learn,live, and love education. Like when we went Teiangle Orthopedics, we did a whole project on the human body. We pretended that we were doctors or nurses, our homebase was the waiting room. There were different operation rooms, and our parents were the patience and we got to heal them it was so much fun! Now I could go on and on about what we did and why we did it but that would take a while. So all I'm trying to say is that voyager academy is the one of The Best Schools that you will ever come across. Now there's only one thing left to say...GO VIKINGS GO!!! ~Taylor

Posted August 08, 2014
Personally, Voyager Academy isn't a bad school it has it's ups and downs but all schools are up like that. It has great education and wide knowledge of teachers, it's the matter of fact that kids have to be very open with the teacher if their not understanding something and not afraid too speak out in front of other kids. School lunches are great, and the fact that they have lunches for kids with low income is perfect, when they're not provided with food at home. It's an very unique school, you have to attend to understand. I'm in 9t grade been attending since 4th grade. - Diamond

Posted February 01, 2014
We have a child in kindergarten at Voyager and we are amazed at how much she is learning. We had a rocky start with lack of communication and learning how to deal with so much diversity. The diversity is great, don't get me wrong but they do not do a lot of holiday recognition and programs and stuff so that took some getting used to. Other than that I feel that this school is an AWESOME alternative to public schools!

Posted December 06, 2013
I have to laugh at the yo-yo scores and reviews posted here. Clearly, this school, like any other, is not right for everyone. I have had two children there since 4th grade. One is now in 11th and it has been a great fit for her. The younger one couldn't stand it and left after 8th. Are there cliques of mean girls/boys? Yes. Please tell me where there are none. Rich kids? I raised mine not to pay attention to brand names - can't be bothered w/that. That attitude isn't just at V.A. It reflects the U.S.A. And the racial make-up? Entrance is purely by lottery. It would be illegal to select students based on race or anything else for that matter. Don't like car lines? Switch schools. But be careful, DPS has them too. Like anything, research carefully: tour the campus, interview teachers, do what you need to in order to make the best choice for your child. Good luck!
6 people found this helpful

Posted December 05, 2013
As a former student, I can honestly say that Voyager was the worst. I'm currently in middle and I thought I was doing well, but I was WRONG. Two years ago, my teacher didn't really seem to help me at all with my struggles and this "teacher" didn't teach me what I was supposed to know for the common core criteria. Multiplying long division was a bust so if you want your kid to be ahead of the curve, Voyager would be a no-no. Besides all that, the students were just awful. They had no respect for anyone, if you just would tell one the slightest thing such as, "Excuse me, your backpack is unzipped." They would make the most rudest face and snarkiest comment. Goodness gracious, I'm just saving you so your homework doesn't fall out. The students were all rich kids so it is obvious that if you are from a low income or median income family, your most likely going to feel like an outsider with all these North Face's walking around. The teachers were possibly the worst part. Last year, my teacher would compare the more average or largest than average students to higher students. That isn't what your supposed to do, just... no. Voyager... crushed dreams and stress city, population rich kid.

Posted November 20, 2013
Voyager Elementary School ...We have a daughter in K and we are so so pleased with the leadership and education guidance for her. Our twin girls will be joining the VAES team next Fall and we are soo excited ..

Posted October 29, 2013
I can not imagine any school options that would be better for my daughter! She is free to play, learn and be creative. Teachers spend time challenging her in areas that she excels and filling in the gaps of missing knowledge. She is not placed in a specific group of classmates during activities. She is given the opportunity to lead some of her classmates during reading time and then placed into a new grouping to learn from others. The teachers are warm and invested in our children. Parents are extremely involved, supportive and motivated to make this school a raving success!

Posted August 19, 2013
A living nightmare doesn't cover the horror. I was bullied and teased to know end, my best friend took my only friends and left me friendless and lonely. Nobody was at all considerate. I'd be using the bathroom and someone would start banging on the door. There is quite a few mean girls there that make it worse. I happened to have the displeasure of being put in a class with a very mean, fake girl, who would bully a new person every day. A lot of the time people would laugh at my favorite music and the teacher would keep asking me to share my favorite songs which would cause only more laughter. Academically the teachers baby you. But it still was quite a relief when I switched schools.

Posted June 20, 2013
Please be aware that if you have an EC child, your concerns will take a backseat. to what image the admin wants to project. The facilities and training provided to these students is minimal at best. Partiality and prejudice is evident - take your time and observe the structure of the administration. The school does NOT represent the community in it's population. A waste of TAX dollars!
3 people found this helpful

Voyager Academy
101 Hock Parc Lane, Durham, NC  27704
Last modified Voyager Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Voyager Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top