Posted April 02, 2014
JD Clement Early College High School has provided my son an excellent opportunity with continuing his higher education of learning. The support of the principal and staff have allowed him to gain college credits which will assist with lower tuition as he continues his journey

Posted February 01, 2014
We have a child in kindergarten at Voyager and we are amazed at how much she is learning. We had a rocky start with lack of communication and learning how to deal with so much diversity. The diversity is great, don't get me wrong but they do not do a lot of holiday recognition and programs and stuff so that took some getting used to. Other than that I feel that this school is an AWESOME alternative to public schools!

Posted December 06, 2013
I have to laugh at the yo-yo scores and reviews posted here. Clearly, this school, like any other, is not right for everyone. I have had two children there since 4th grade. One is now in 11th and it has been a great fit for her. The younger one couldn't stand it and left after 8th. Are there cliques of mean girls/boys? Yes. Please tell me where there are none. Rich kids? I raised mine not to pay attention to brand names - can't be bothered w/that. That attitude isn't just at V.A. It reflects the U.S.A. And the racial make-up? Entrance is purely by lottery. It would be illegal to select students based on race or anything else for that matter. Don't like car lines? Switch schools. But be careful, DPS has them too. Like anything, research carefully: tour the campus, interview teachers, do what you need to in order to make the best choice for your child. Good luck!

Posted December 05, 2013
As a former student, I can honestly say that Voyager was the worst. I'm currently in middle and I thought I was doing well, but I was WRONG. Two years ago, my teacher didn't really seem to help me at all with my struggles and this "teacher" didn't teach me what I was supposed to know for the common core criteria. Multiplying long division was a bust so if you want your kid to be ahead of the curve, Voyager would be a no-no. Besides all that, the students were just awful. They had no respect for anyone, if you just would tell one the slightest thing such as, "Excuse me, your backpack is unzipped." They would make the most rudest face and snarkiest comment. Goodness gracious, I'm just saving you so your homework doesn't fall out. The students were all rich kids so it is obvious that if you are from a low income or median income family, your most likely going to feel like an outsider with all these North Face's walking around. The teachers were possibly the worst part. Last year, my teacher would compare the more average or largest than average students to higher students. That isn't what your supposed to do, just... no. Voyager... crushed dreams and stress city, population rich kid.

Posted November 20, 2013
Voyager Elementary School ...We have a daughter in K and we are so so pleased with the leadership and education guidance for her. Our twin girls will be joining the VAES team next Fall and we are soo excited ..

Posted October 29, 2013
I can not imagine any school options that would be better for my daughter! She is free to play, learn and be creative. Teachers spend time challenging her in areas that she excels and filling in the gaps of missing knowledge. She is not placed in a specific group of classmates during activities. She is given the opportunity to lead some of her classmates during reading time and then placed into a new grouping to learn from others. The teachers are warm and invested in our children. Parents are extremely involved, supportive and motivated to make this school a raving success!

Posted August 19, 2013
A living nightmare doesn't cover the horror. I was bullied and teased to know end, my best friend took my only friends and left me friendless and lonely. Nobody was at all considerate. I'd be using the bathroom and someone would start banging on the door. There is quite a few mean girls there that make it worse. I happened to have the displeasure of being put in a class with a very mean, fake girl, who would bully a new person every day. A lot of the time people would laugh at my favorite music and the teacher would keep asking me to share my favorite songs which would cause only more laughter. Academically the teachers baby you. But it still was quite a relief when I switched schools.

Posted June 20, 2013
Please be aware that if you have an EC child, your concerns will take a backseat. to what image the admin wants to project. The facilities and training provided to these students is minimal at best. Partiality and prejudice is evident - take your time and observe the structure of the administration. The school does NOT represent the community in it's population. A waste of TAX dollars!

Posted April 30, 2013
I have two children at Voyager Elementary and it is an excellent school. The teachers are extremely dedicated and there is significant parental involvement. (For the first field trip 14 of 20 kids in my daughter's class had a parent attend) There are 20 kids per class (100 per grade) and Voyager is committed to keeping the class sizes small. My children come home each night with books selected just for them and various other fun learning tools (time flashcards, multiplication tables, etc.) When I visit the classroom, I am amazed at how advanced the lessons are and how engaged the kids seem to be. Each quarter, the classes do a project based on a theme and other lessons (reading, writing, etc.) center around the theme. Last quarter, Kindergarten students performed a fairy tale with a set they created in art and a song they practiced during music. Monday is early release so you can participate in optional enrichment activities on-site (Spanish, basketball skills, dance, etc.). The peers have been great so far, and my kids are excited to go to school each day. If you are lucky enough to get a lottery spot, I highly recommend Voyager Academy.

Voyager Academy 3

Posted March 25, 2013
We had such high hopes for Voyager Academy. My child has been there 5 years and it's been pretty good until this year. Most of the teachers have been great but I suppose there will always be a couple that will ruin it for the rest of them. It's like the "mean girls" grew up and became teachers. The best way I can describe it is the use of sarcasm to humiliate a child in front of the class. My child says that there are times when they can't even bring themselves to look at the teacher after a humiliating outburst. The administration turns a blind eye and it doesn't get addressed. I think that most schools deal with this to a certain extent, I was naive to think Voyager would be different.

Voyager Academy
101 Hock Parc Lane, Durham, NC  27704
Last modified Voyager Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Voyager Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews.