Hillside New Tech High School 1

Posted January 10, 2014
My daugher graduated last year as valedictorian, and despite all the A's in AP classes, she was not at all prepared for college level math and science. And this is supposed to be a STEM school?!?!? There are/have been some good teachers at HNT, mostly in history and English, but there are also some real lame ducks and the turnover is outrageous, right up to the principal. The district seems determined this school will fail and underminded the school to the point of stealing away the principal/founder. The new principal did not have any sense of customer service when I approached her after a parent meeting. She practically dismissed me with hardly a word. The guidance counselor plays favorites on getting college recommendation forms out, and the staff in general is just not concerned with high-achieving students because they are just concerned with getting kids into school not the "right" school or the school they want. They assume an A-student doesn't need any guidance. Most of our problems were a result of losing the principal and senior issues, so things were better off back in 2011 like the othe review indicates.

Hillside New Tech High School 5

Posted October 30, 2011
My daughter attends this school and I am very pleased with the number of opportunities they have available for the students. The principle and the teachers are all approachable and vested in making sure the students educational needs are met. I am an involved parent and I can attest to the fact that the principle and the teachers, are proud of the professions they have chosen. I base this observation off of my experiences with different instructors from grade school to graduate school. I have heard some complaints of too much work. However, I am all for a child doing educational work as opposed to playing video games, hanging at the mall, and hanging in the streets. There are too many evil people and evil things that can crush an idle mind before it has a chance to live a life. Furthermore, the work load prepares them for the rigorous work load they will experience in college. Finally parents, if they are in college that means they are out of our houses!!! So, support success.

Hillside New Tech High School
3727 Fayetteville Street, Durham, NC  27707
(919) 560-2000
Last modified Hillside New Tech High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hillside New Tech High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 2 reviews.