Bad
Good

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Please this school is a war zone!!

Supports LD students: Disagree

Please don't send your child to this school if they have a IEP or any learning disability!!

Develops character: Disagree

Nobody don't respect each other the school is not safe

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

They really don't care and need improvement

I sent my only child to HHS for 4 years; and today I have a successful UNC Chapel Hill rising sophomore. Thank you HHS , Durham public, for the IB program and for the commitment to improvement. I would say, your students success depends on your involvement and willingness to help your school. GT

I have had 3 children attend Hillside High since 2007-2014 and I have watched a lot of positive changes throughout the school. I have had the area superintendent Mr. Keys even say to me that Hillside is one of the best kept secrets in Durham. This is because people tend to make decisions focused on rumors they have heard about the school. Hillside has some great programs, IB, Bus.&Fin., New Tech,AP, Honors and has a strong focus on college prep. HHS has some key relationships with colleges and businesses to help your child succeed. The last few years, the graduating classes have earned anywhere from 3-6 million dollars in academic scholarships. Please be mindful that every child and parents experience has alot to do with the individual regardless of where they attend school. Bad teachers can exist in "good" schools as well. Hillside is often compared to Jordan, please know that any high school with teenagers typically face the same type issues. Jordan is not a bad school but is definitely not exempt from issues faced with teaching teenagers. Dr. Lassister and Dr. Logan have completely changed the face of HHS. Go visit, I am sure, you will see it's a good school. Supportive!

When reading these reviews, I think as a teacher it is important to remember the students deserve respect as well as the teachers, and so this goes for the parents of the students in the school. As teachers, we have a duty to "teach" and the students have an opportunity to learn from the teachers. As one parent's stated below, "It is only high school right?" This parent should remember this is not only high school but is also their child's future. Parents need to be supportive of the teachers and what they are trying to accomplish with their children as well as the teachers have to respect the parents and students. You can agree to disagree but respect is certainly important in the school setting.

I for one cannot rate this school for I haven't visit this school as of yet. I am a senoir at the Louisiana State University majoring in English Education. I have witness the greatness in the marching band there and I think they are just awesome!!! I am making plans to visit Hillside because i think I would want to spend my first year teaching high school English there. I will visit soon!!

THIS SCHOOL IS AMAZING!!! I love all of the students i have. Our only downside is that our principle was assaulted and choked recently, but he had it coming to him anyways. Pleasssseeee send your student here. Also, our test scores are the lowest in DPS, but who cares? It's only high school, right?

I been to Hillside and I am to proud with this school. They have no respect for the teachers or principals or the students. They can be very loud. They feel discipline are not important. They think partying and music and watching movies are about high school. Unlike Hillside, Jordan has postivie things and have never been a problem. I do not think kids should attent a like school like Hillside.

Last modified Hillside High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.