Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted December 05, 2015
As a parent, I would say this is definitely one of the worst schools in Durham, NC. On the one hand, you have wonderful teachers who truly care about the students as well as work together very well as a team. You can see when you enter any classroom, the teachers truly care and go out of their way to help every child. However the lead principal is the worst I have ever encountered. I have had 5 children go through this school. We moved from another state when my husband got a promotion in his IT company. We truly loved the school we were since I could talk about any concerns with the administration and they were happy to help. Since moving here, I have had the worst experience ever with this principal. I have dropped off my children to the office in the morning, the administration would be extremely unwelcome and never had a smile on her face. She never goes out of her way to try to listen to parental concerns. She is totally disconnected from the school, the students, and her staff. In fact, I brought up my concerns to the PTA president whom was much more helpful than the administration. My daughter has a wonderful teacher now but I can tell the principal does not support any of the staff and is doing a huge disservice to the students as well as the community. I ma in the process of trying to get my daughter transferred to a private school since the administration is awful at this school. One day my daughter even came home with a huge bruise from a boy in the class. She said the teacher sent the boy to the principal and she sent him right back. I would advise any parent to try to get charter school or financial aid to switch their children out of this school. I will be happy when this school year ends and my child moves up to middle school. In the meantime, we are looking into alternative schooling including home schooling.

Lakewood Elementary 4

Posted January 09, 2015
This school is FULL of teachers passionate about working with all kinds of students. As someone that works in K-12 education state-wide, the positive energy you will feel when you tour really, really matters to me. I'm enrolling my daughter next year. Also, despite the low "proficiency scores" on state tests, the school's GROWTH progress is quite good (meaning that wherever kids come in, they do a good job of growing them). The school has strong partnerships with Duke, supports low-income families with pre-K and significant Title 1-funded resources/events, and offers Advanced and Intellectually Gifted (AIG) acceleration. Spanish speaking families are supported, but despite the high hispanic population, visitors see students working hard in an english medium.

Lakewood Elementary 5

Posted February 07, 2014
Lakewood Elementary School is the best school. The staff is super supportive and the principal is always assessable. The school has a strong emphasis on reading. For the past two years I can see a lot of writing in the halls. I love this school.

Lakewood Elementary 2

Posted January 30, 2014
This school is definitely one of the worse in the DPS school system. The administration at Lakewood needs to be replaced immediately. The principal should not have been placed at this school to govern our children. Most of the teachers that I have encountered are decent, but the lack of real leadership hurts Lakewood tremendously. There is such a new for a do-over!

Posted December 19, 2013
I have had 4 kids to go through this school. I have loved this school and my kids have loved this school, but the last year and a half have been insufferable. The teachers, assistants and most of the staff have the same wonderful qualities that they have possessed throughout the years. The Administration is a very different story. The principle does not care about her staff or her students. I am at the school regularly and I have never seen her smile or attempt to make me feel welcome, she walks around with her head held high and a frown on her face like she is superior to all. Parental involvement and student involvement is at a low like I've never seen before ( maybe because they invite you to have dinner and run out of food after 40 people). Lakewood has lost so much of it's character since this administration has been put in place. My child is a 5th grader and I am sad to say that I am relieved that I will not have to walk through those doors again after June.

Lakewood Elementary 3

Posted August 08, 2013
This school is a struggling school, trying to find their way. The teachers are some of the most caring and hard working teachers I've seen and yet very defeated and struggling. You can't find a better student population with a great group of students as well. Lakewood just need a little positive encouragement and support to be the best they can.

Posted June 05, 2013
This school has gone so far down hill in the past two years. The only thing that makes this school acceptable are the teachers and staff. The administration is completely resistant to any parental concerns and 100% disconnected from the students whom she governs. You can tell from the staff that they are not supported and just waiting until the principal continues on her planned path outside of the school. It is clear that she is only serving her required time in the school setting to move on up the ladder. She does not have a true passion for her students or staff, and it is incredibly sad to see, not to mention a gross disservice to the students.

Posted May 10, 2013
In MY Opinion, this school was def not for my child, as a matter of fact, it was the worst school that my child has attended. She's a honor roll student, that's at a school that does NOT help her at all & they're holding her back. There's always a problem with the bus & they have a terrible time communicating...even with the child being involved. I can't wait for the end of the year so I can switch my daughter's school & hopefully I can make it these last 1-2 months. Well, I suggest that they get it together & fast!

Lakewood Elementary 5

Posted September 02, 2010
If you judge a school by its teachers, then you won't find a better elementary school. I have 2 children in this school, and both of them feel loved, encouraged, and motivated by their teachers. Since the current principal came aboard, I've noticed a significant improvement in the general organization of activities and a great emphasis on reading. We love this school! Every year my children look forward to the first day of school, and I don't hear complaints about hating school. It is truly a joy for them to be a part of this school family.

Lakewood Elementary

Posted September 18, 2009
They have a great garden teaching kids about the environment.

Lakewood Elementary
2520 Vesson Avenue, Durham, NC  27707
Last modified Lakewood Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.