Posted March 07, 2014
This school has a very cohesive, motivated staff, excellent principals, and a welcoming building and grounds. I have two children that attend this school and have thrived here! They have always had very caring and supportive teachers, students/friends who have helped them grow as individuals and learn to share, and a nurturing environment. I would highly recommend this school to anyone and regret that others have said otherwise based on one experience at the school.

Posted November 30, 2013
This is an outstanding school. Services, curriculum, faculty are first rate. The educational team is experienced, not only individually, but as a faculty. Led by a sensitive, strong leader in principal Bates, school has connections for support services for every child. I had three go through Hillandale and attribute their success in middle school to the foundation they got at this school.

Hillandale Elementary 3

Posted November 19, 2013
Not very friendly interactions for newcomers. Went to pick up some kids for the first time and the guy directing traffic spoke really rude to me and told me to move along while I was trying to find the kids. Then when I went to get them in the car he yelled. You will get a ticket for that for letting them get in on driver side of the car. I don't appreciate getting yelled at when I don't even know the rules. He could have kindly explained the rules more nicely instead of yelling at me. I don't appreciate that! I told him I didn't know that was a rule there and that I would put them in on the other side next time. Gee!!! Give a someone a break!!!

Posted August 16, 2012
I love Hillandale! I went here from kindergarden to 5th grade and it was the best school ever! Pretty much all the teachers I got were so amazing and really cared about me. Whenever I go and vist for spring fling the place is filled with color and happiness and good times. I will never forget Hillandale.

Posted October 30, 2009
As a teacher, a parent, and a former student, I can say that there is no other school that measures up to Hillandale. We are a caring family, who not only has high expectations for our students, but care about them deeply and cheer their successes.

Posted October 30, 2009
Hillandale Elem. school provides excellent educational experiences for its students and allows them to grow and excel. The staff is tops professionally and very loving and nurturing, from the principal Sandi Bates to Ms.Norma in the cafeteria staff who sings to each child on their birthday. I am a teacher who sent my child to Hillandale and I'd highly recommend our school to anyone who wants the best for their child.

Posted October 28, 2009
I Love Hillandale because it is a great place to be. I came to Hillandale in 1982 and I am still their. We are one big happy family who works together to help EVERYONE no matter what ! ! Our school succeeds to the highest for all students. We have high expectations for all. I Love to work their. Our principal is fantastic and great.

Posted October 23, 2009
Hillandale is the best school that i've been in. It makes you feel like family and a place you would like to be in. It's also a clean school and you could eat off the floors if possible.

Posted October 21, 2009
Hillandale Elementary school is the best school in which to teach!! ! We are a family and we have an outstanding community, whose support is unparalleled!!

Posted October 21, 2009
Hillandale has the best staff and Teachers that any school could have.

Contact Information

2730 Hillandale Road
Durham, NC 27705

School website

Hillandale Elementary
2730 Hillandale Road, Durham, NC  27705
Last modified Hillandale Elementary is a public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hillandale Elementary Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 27 reviews.