Durham, NC

Posted October 05, 2014
From our oldest son's first day of kindergarten, we have been extremely pleased with Forest View. The caring teachers and staff understand each child's ability and strive to meet them where they are and encourage them to excel. Our oldest son is now in 4th grade and our younger son is in 1st grade. We love the community feel of the school - lots of parents take time to help out with programs like the Fall Festival, Science Share, and Multicultural night. We really feel fortunate that Forest View is our neighborhood school.

Posted September 30, 2014
I have two children at Forest View and used to teach there. Forest View is an outstanding school with a wonderful group of dedicated teachers and administrators. The sense of community among students, teachers and parents is very strong, and my children have always felt connected and cared for. The student body is very diverse, representing many different nationalities and speaking a variety of different languages. The school is a science focus school and has a strong emphasis on outdoor learning, with several gardens that students help care for all around the school. Forest View as always and forever will feel like home to our family!
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 30, 2014
The number one thing I love about Forest View is the sense of community. Strong teacher involvement, parent volunteers, caring staff, a "whole child" approach to education. Teachers and staff work hard not only to provide a strong education in the classroom, but they also spend time creating outside the classroom opportunities like a yearly Science Share, arts projects that celebrate International Peace Day, and a Multicultural festival that's standing room only it's so popular. My child (now in fifth grade) still talks with her kindergarten teacher about what she's reading, her extracurricular activities, and how school's going. Teachers, staff, families work together in the school garden, write grants, volunteer at the fall festival, and take a community approach to the school's success.
4 people found this helpful

Forest View Elementary 1

Posted May 15, 2014
Horrible school. Never under any circumstance allow your child to attend this school. The vice principle and the principle do not assure your childs safety.

Forest View Elementary 1

Posted May 15, 2014
I've never came across that constantly harrasses a parent like this school has. I understand my child isn't an easy child to tend to being as he was just diagnosed with A.D.H.D but every week i either get called or have a note about my childs behavior the teachers feel that it is okay to ask me if i am medicating my child for the A.D.H.D and if I do not immediately sign and return the note I get called by the assistant principal asking if there have been changes in the family or home as if this is ANY of their BUSINESS. It is frustrating and appalling how this school handles things. I don't recommend this school.

Posted March 04, 2014
Forest View is a healthy school. The principal is friendly, a strong leader, and he trusts his educators. The teachers are knowledgable, loving, creative, and devoted to helping children learn and grow. Parents are very involved and encouraged to participate in their children's learning. My children and I appreciate the science focus and the international community.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 11, 2013
Forest View Elementary is a great environment to learn for all of its students. It is a multicultural school with an Administration that is very open minded and focused on delivering a wholesome and solid foundation for learning. My children are thriving at FV and I'm so excited to be a part of this community. There are so many unique highlights - Odyssey of the Mind, Book Club, Chorus, Play Pod (the only one in the area) and so many more extra curricular activities for their students.

Posted December 14, 2012
We absolutely LOVE Forest View!! We are new to the area and heard about Durham schools being inferior to nearby Chapel Hill, but we couldn't be more pleased with Forest View. The teachers and principal are caring and truly make it a wonderful place. Our child has learned so much, and I love how the curriculum includes an emphasis on science. We also LOVE the diversity of the student body. Go Falcons!!

Posted November 27, 2012
My son's first American education ( our American dream?!) started right here at Forest View. We have LOVE , plenty, for this school. The ESL teacher had tought /led/guided/helped my son with great compassion and efforts. Only one year, my son could get on a normal track an Language Arts class should be. Thank you. The diversity and very friendly/warm atmosphere were what attracted us. We

Forest View Elementary 0

Posted October 20, 2010
What do I love most about Forest View? I love it that the teachers collaborate to enhance education for all students. A recent example to demonstrate: on a beautiful day in April, the students walked to a nearby creek (part of Duke Forest). The dance, music, gym, and art teachers were there to help make the most of the day. The students played musical instruments, danced, and learned how to identify plants and animals. The technology / science enrichment teacher led them in lessons about the natural world. My daughter came home brimming with excitement and full of stories about her day outside. This outdoor education isn t limited to one day a year at Forest View, however. Most of the classrooms have gardens outside the windows (that are large enough to serve as doors and do for gardening purposes) and teachers conduct lessons during science time and have the students help in the gardens during recess. The kindergartners have a beautiful large garden all to themselves and a bog garden is nearby. My daughter s second grade teacher has the students begin recess every day by running a lap or two around the playground. Each lap is one third of a mile, and students keep records of how many laps they ve run. When they have run five miles, they get a token to put on a bracelet. In this way physical education is combined with the math curriculum. Subject matters are not learned in isolation at Forest View; rather each supports and strengthens the others, leading to a rich and deep educational experience. I also love the fact that there are students from all over the world in my daughter s classroom. One evening she announced at dinner that she loved her school because she could learn about China, India, and Mexico just by talking to her friends. Most of all, however, I love Forest View because my daughter is making tremendous academic and social strides. From the wonderful principal Neil Clay to the amazing specials teachers (one of whom created a 2nd grade science club for girls that meets three times a week after discovering that my daughter felt lonely as a junior scientist) to the incredible classroom teachers, I feel fortunate to send my child there every day.

Forest View Elementary
3007 Mount Sinai Road, Durham, NC  27705
Last modified Forest View Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Forest View Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top