Pearsontown Elementary 3

Posted January 10, 2014
My daughter has moved through the DPS system from Pearsontown to Rogers-Herr to Hillside New Tech, so I can speak with hindsight. This was a good school at the time. I hope is still is. We loved the year-round schedule, and she had great, experienced teachers. Overall it was a good experience, and I think she was challenged.

Pearsontown Elementary 4

Posted October 17, 2013
I have been teaching at this school for over five years. I've stayed for a number of reasons. One, because the of the diversity of our school ( all aspects of diversity). Two, because of my fellow teachers! Parents complained about us acting as if it's a social arena instead of teaching, well, yes we also teach, push, challenge and inspire the students. You want a school where teachers socialize it means were having fun! I think some people who write reviews on this site should think first: what's it like to be a teacher? Have you spent days in the class volunteering and wearing our shoes? If you want to write a review about an institution write to our local government and ask why teachers haven't received a cost of living raise in 8 yrs, why there aren't enough books for students, why we don't have time to dig deeper into objectives, and why they don't praise us instead of defining us by a seven page evaluation of data! (Our principal does praise us!) I love Pearsontown, I love the staff, I love our new principal, Mr Teal, and the staff! You are amazing, and wonderful! I'd write more but just like education has become there are limits!! 1200 of them.

Posted October 16, 2013
There are a handful of quality teachers, and the rest are just there to get a paycheck. This school has lost all the qualities of a good educational institution. The teachers used to care about their students, but now they all just walk around talking to each other, and not actually teaching students anything. It's become a social arena for teachers, instead of an educational institution of higher learning for elementary students.

Posted September 02, 2013
pearsontown, just wasn't for us they have many bullying issues that are not going to get fixed anytime soon. After all my sons best friend was getting bullied just because he was australian.

Posted February 28, 2012
I I LOVE THIS SCHOOL!! This is the BEST school in Durham!!! The quality of education at our school is amazing. We strive to meet the needs of ALL of our students at Pearsontown. We have excellent teachers and teacher assistants. The MAIN focus for teachers and teacher assistants at Pearsontown is the STUDENTS. If you are considering this school, please send your child(ren). We would LOVE to have them join our Panda family!

Posted February 27, 2012
Hard working teachers, teaching assistants and staff are the people you will find at Pearsontown Elementary School. This year has been a challenging one for everyone one at Pearsontown, all the staff and the parents. Each day I come to work excited to be with my students, I seek advise from colleagues and look for fun innovative lessons and activities. Despite some of the challenges we have faced this year, I am proud to be a teacher at Pearsontown and plan to spend as many years as I possibly can at this school. I feel so very blessed to be a part of this school. It is my hope that we can stop posting so many negative things and start focusing on all the wonderful things that happen at Pearsontown. Change is in your hands and mine and I plan on making to best of my year.

Posted February 27, 2012
I love my school and I love my students. If I could not work at Pearsontown, I would not be a teacher. I have had offers for much more money based on my prior experiences. The reason Pearsontown has AIG students in classes with only certified teachers is based on a North Carolina General Statute. But there are students who are not identified as "AIG" who are also in class with certified teachers. Change is difficult, but it is everywhere. Just remember "poly" is latin for many and ticks are those little blood suckers... thus politics are simply many little blood suckers. They have nothing to do with children or their education if we all remember that and to everything we can possibly do to help our future generation!!!!

Pearsontown Elementary 2

Posted February 26, 2012
The reputation of Pearsontown changed before the current principal arrived. The last principal left a chaotic mess at the school while revamping some of the programs. Stop pointing fingers at each other and try to solve the problem. Maybe the current principal could adjust her leadership style. However, some of the teachers need to come off their thrones of glory and look in the mirror. Grow up and act like professionals. My child comes home almost daily sharing information about what is going on at the school. Stop talking in front of the children, they are listening. It makes you wonder, if all of this dialog is happening in front of the children who is teaching and monitoring them. This is a very sad situation. Teachers and staff, if you are not happy why not look for a job elsewhere. I want my chld to be educated, not taught to gossip. Parents, teachers, administration and community lets bring Pearsontown back to the stop.

Posted February 26, 2012
Pearsontown is not what it seems.It is not one of the top schools in DPS. The current principal is not bad. It could be worse. She is an advocate of at risk kids and provides tutoring before and afterschool as well as intervention. I also like how child care services are provided for select students in several classrooms during intersession and afterschool.This is a savings for some due to the fact that this not through DPS Community Education which is extremely costly. No other school offers. Test scores are high when you have AIG students clustered in one class per grade level and a select student population are accepted in. Not fair. Some of the teachers, assistants, and staff are obnoxious and unprofessional. Some talk to the kids unappropriately and if the teacher do not like your child or parents the child is targeted or belittled. The school is very old and needs to be renovated. I think more parents are speaking out about Pearsontown now because fingers are being pointed . I encourage all parents to speak out and let your voices be heard. The community should be aware of the fact that there are other schools better than Pearsontown. Think twice before enrolling your child.

Posted February 13, 2012
Pearsontown Elementary has had the reputation for being one of the highest performing schools in Durham for many years, even when adapting to various leaders and their leadership styles. While I may not agree with everything that Dr. McLaughlin says, I respect her and her ability to help us maintain the status of excellence. Change can be hard, especially when we whine and lose focus on what is best for our children. I have found our principal to be a good listener. So, Instead of talking about her, talk to her. Let's direct our stress where it should be-- on added local and state mandates.

Pearsontown Elementary
4915 Barbee Road, Durham, NC  27713
Last modified Pearsontown Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pearsontown Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews.