Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Easley Elementary 1

Posted June 04, 2016
Teacher and student diversity is extremely poor. This school is in need of a serious cultural diversity make-over in every way.There has only been one general education teacher of color at this school since my children have been here in 2012. The new principal lacks experience and has a know- it- all mentality. The classroom sizes are overcrowded and the school did a poor job implementing common core. They are quick to label children before examining poor teaching and poor educational setting. The curriculum is inconsistent and they pick and choose which standards to do each nine weeks. Parents do not get to see if their child improved in the standards that were taught the nine weeks before. They bombard students the last month of school with EOG preparation with content and concepts that were not covered during the school year. This school is highly overrated.

Posted May 02, 2016
My son is a graduating fifth grader at Easley, I can say that this school has been instrumental in the young person he is today. The opportunities here are endless because the teachers and staff believe in every student. He has loved coming here for the past six years and being an Eagle! :)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 02, 2016
Deanna St John is the special education teacher at Easley. She is amazing , and I can never thank her enough for the drive that she has to teach our children. Her caring and understanding of each child in her classroom surpasses that of just simple teaching. She sees the abilities in each child and focuses on those. She is a treasure

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 02, 2016
My child is in the MU classroom. He has been given every opportunity to learn at his fullest potential including being integrated with his typically developing peers when appropriate. This has not only helped him but has given them the opportunity to experience his learning style as well.

Posted June 05, 2014
As a student at Easley, I can say that it is a WONDERFUL school. I would not want to go anywhere else. I haven't had a single teacher that didn't impress both me and my parents. Everyone there is so kind. Teachers are committed to giving us all a great education. They will help you one-on-one with anything you have trouble with, take time to listen to your questions, and make learning fun and entertaining. We are provided with MANY extracurricular opportunities including chorus, jump-roping club, running club, and many other activities. We have several specials taught outside of the classroom: art, music, technology, media, and physical education. We are provided with so much at Easley. It is a fun, family-friendly environment. I love it there and highly recommend it!

Easley Elementary 3

Posted April 15, 2013
Parent involvement is wonderful, so I gave that 5 stars. Teacher quality and leadership -- 2 stars; however, our experience is only with one teacher. When we enrolled our child 2 years ago, we were overwhelmed by the class sizes and the rudeness of the kindergarten teacher, and underwhelmed by the support and response received when we attempted to contact the principal. We pulled our child out of kindergarten after 2 days and decided to homeschool that year. Fortunately, we moved to another state and realized that public elementary schools can operate in a supportive and respectful manner. I will never get over how that teacher made her hate school so quickly. I hope the other teachers are more respectful and refined, no child deserves to be humiliated.

Easley Elementary 1

Posted October 28, 2012
My son attended Easley for three years. Each year our experience was worse and worse until we finally left. My son's day consisted of worksheet after worksheet after worksheet. No creative thought, no writing. At the end of the year I asked my son what he learned. After thinking about it, his reply was that he taught himself multiplication while riding the school,bus to/from school. After hearing that, I pulled him out of that horrible place.

Easley Elementary 2

Posted September 24, 2012
No field trips all year in order to "spend time preparing" for testing. Each week testing, drilling, pre-testing, re-testing. A principal far more interested in rule-following and control than in promoting a love of learning. Our child had some kind teachers, but that's not enough. Completely and utterly about "in the box" thinking. Lackluster and uninspiring. No thanks..

Easley Elementary 3

Posted May 27, 2012
Teaching is hard work if done well. Many Easley teachers are caring educators, and for that we are grateful. Unfortunately, testing and practice and drill to prepare for testing overshadows everything else. The principal seems to care more about following the rules and scoring high among other schools than he does about provide a truly outstanding learning environment. We are quite disappointed. Perhaps a three out of five stars.

Posted November 16, 2010
You may notice that Easley has lower parent ratings than many of the other schools in Durham, schools that have lower test scores. If you're an educated parent with kids for whom you also have high hopes, you may feel that your interactions with staff ought to go your way. After all, you matter, and you're used to most things in life going your way. Easley parents are one of the best things about the school. The PTA is active, parents volunteer in various ways, fundraisers are well-patronized, and appeals to the parents for various supplies seem to also elicit positive responses. There may be some mediocre teachers at Easley, but Easley is known as a school where many teachers at DPS would like to work. You should also be aware that Easley is a year-round school. For some folks, this is great, particularly if you like to take vacations at off-peak times of year. It does not get much better than Easley, at least in Durham. If you really want your child to attend this school, don't take a chance with the lottery: buy a house in the Easley zone (which you can find on the DPS website), not one where it is simply they "year-round option."

302 Lebanon Circle, Durham, NC  27712
Last modified Easley Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.