Bad
Good

I am a teacher at Southwest--and I LOVE my job. The atmosphere is wonderful and the sense of family is incredible. Teachers are supported by administration and each other. Whenever you go into a classroom, you see the hard work going on. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

Southwest is very family oriented, when you walk through the doors there is always a positive welcoming atmosphere. Each teacher connects with every student individually to determine how to help them succeed per their own personal academic needs. My daughter is a 4th year student here and has thrived socially, academically and emotionally at Southwest. It is truly one big extended family, always working together to create a success story for every child.

I work at Southwest and love being a member of the "Southwest family"! It truly is a special school where the teachers care about each other and the kids. Our students thrive in classrooms that offer engaging curriculum in a nurturing environment.

Great school, Great teachers , Great people ... I LOVE this school.

Poor education with teacher who just waited for weekends and summer. Did not return as was anticipating more bad experience s based on what other parents were going through. No follow through to meetings with principal about teacher actions. Principal actually left during school year to pursue his own career ambitions leaving school hanging. Yeah.... every man for himself type of attitude but where does that leave child when problems come up?

I also have a kindergartner in the Spanish immersion program. He has loved the program and the school and has made amazing academic progress in an environment that feels structured, secure, and supportive. He loves his friends and teachers and it is rewarding to see him happily running into school in the mornings, excited for another day....

My son is in Kindergarten in the Spanish Immersion program. He loves his teacher and is enjoying school. The before school care is good - he loves the breakfast - and the Piedmont Wildlife Program is a real bonus. Loves the Specials of Science and dance and I haven't had any safety concerns for him.

My son started kindergarten in the fall of 2012 at Southwest. We were excited to attend as we could walk to school and had really liked the administration when we toured the prior spring. Our experience, though, was terrible and led us to withdraw our son in October and transfer him to another school for the remainder of the school year. His teacher was very punitive and yelled a lot and my son came to hate going to school (despite the fact that he always earned good behavior marks). I spoke with administration and learned from several people that this particular teacher had a long reputation of this behavior. We were unimpressed with the atmosphere in the school and the principal's lack of follow-up in our situation and decided to apply to transfer to a different school in the county for first grade. We were very disappointed that Southwest couldn't deliver, as both my husband and I grew up in Durham and Southwest used to be a much more respected school.

Love Southwest! It is a great community, one where I both teach and send my own children. Southwest is diverse and seeks to work with families of all backgrounds, races, and cultures. Our staff is dedicated to nurturing and challenging all children. My son has had a terrific experience so far and I'm looking forward to my little one being in Kindergarten!

Southwest has an excellent and devoted staff. All of my 5 children have been students there and I am truly pleased with their progress.

Last modified Southwest Elementary is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.