Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Spring Valley Elementary School 4

Posted January 04, 2016
We are headed back to Spring Valley mid year from a charter school. My son attended SVE in Kindergarten and then we left because of the previous administration and friends leaving. We found that charter is not always the better option for children. We really clicked with the new principal when we met her. She has a great vision for the school. I encourage those thinking about attending Spring Valley to meet her. We're eager to be a part of the SVE community and to be a part of its success.

Posted December 22, 2015
I literally have left meetings at this school trembling with frustration and anger. I am desperately moving to pull my child out of this school. Especially if your child has learning deficiencies (not behavior, but simply takes longer to grasp concepts), avoid this school. We spent a brief period in Wake county and our child was doing much better there. Some of the teachers really do care, but unfortunately the one I have to deal with seems to have a chip on her shoulder. Then the lack of parental involvement leads to children doing and saying things that are simply not acceptable and show lack of discipline. I may sound extreme, but I literally feel horrible as each day my child stays in this school it's like she's being academically and/or psychologically damaged. I am determined to rescue her from this place.

Posted August 30, 2015
My son has attended SVE 4 years. Overall, I am very pleased with the school. He is a bright student and he has been challenged with the curriculum and continues to flourish there. The school is very safe and the staff is positive. I am an active parent in the PTA and classroom and I think that if you are able to be involved in the school then your child will not have a problem. I highly recommend giving SVE a chance.

Posted March 25, 2015
Sadly this school is so dissapointing. Two years in a row both my daughters teacher have told me how this school lacks so many resources and is planning on leaving to wake county, which they did! The principal seems cold and I feel is the main concern for the failure of the school. What good is it to have a new building but terrible education. Coming from wake county you really notice the difference. if you want to save yourself headaches, aND a undiverse environment and a principal that seems to just see your child as a score instead of their learning capabilities stay away from durham county. Worth spending more on a house and moving to wake county!!! I had a bad experience with my son who the unexperienced 23 year old teacher informed me he was doing good until end of year when he was on the retention list. Springs valley thinks that the soultion is retention if your child is not on grade level instead of getting them the help the need during the year! Sad we pay so much taxes and get terrible durham county schools that don't exceed our children's education!

Posted November 18, 2014
We removed our child from this school due to a dysfunctional Administration. Our child was a very above-average student that s needs simply were not met and we received a lot of pushback from both the school and DPS when we did our role as parents to do something about it. Our child's teacher was not helpful at all compared to the previous which was disappointing. While a beautiful school due to it's newness there is a lot of work this school needs to do starting with actually implementing an accelerated AIG program for all grades and hiring staff that actually care.

Posted July 22, 2014
My daughter has been at SVE for two years and has done very well. The school has great resources overall. The only drawback I see is the timeliness of announcements to parents. Other than that, no complaints!

Posted April 22, 2014
Our oldest daughter is finishing up kindergarten here and we absolutely love this school! It is wonderful. I volunteer here regularly and have gotten to know the students, teachers, and faculty and have nothing but good things to say about it. Our daughter has thrived here and has learned so much just in this first year. She is reading above grade level, loves doing math problems, and has made new friends. We will be sending our younger child here in the Fall for kindergarten, and he can't wait!

Posted June 17, 2013
Spring valley holds many activities that allow parents to be involved in their child's education. Teachers work very hard to meet the high standards set for them by administration. Students could achieve on a much higher level if their teachers had more support, higher morale and less pressure from administrators. Principal Parker micromanages every aspect of everything that teachers do and our children are suffering from it.

Posted June 17, 2013
I am very upset about the attitude of the principal of my grandchild's school, Spring Valley. She is unresponsive to the parents, disconnected from the teachers, and completely disconnected from the students. This school has completely failed my grandchild and I intend to find out what the Superintendent and/or the School Board intends to do about it. I will be asking for a review of this principal. I would like some input as to the required duties and expectations of an elementary school principal.

Posted February 23, 2012
This school is very unorganized. My daughter has been at this school since it opened and although she has had some good teachers she has had a few bad ones too. The assembles and field trips that they plan always seem unorganized. I have witnessed teachers yelling at students to stop yelling, it seems like the staff has no control of the children. While many of the schools problems could be solved with parent involvement, it's obvious to me that this just won't happen.

Spring Valley Elementary School
2051 Northern Durham Prky, Durham, NC  27703
Last modified Spring Valley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.