Spring Valley Elementary School 5

Posted April 22, 2014
Our oldest daughter is finishing up kindergarten here and we absolutely love this school! It is wonderful. I volunteer here regularly and have gotten to know the students, teachers, and faculty and have nothing but good things to say about it. Our daughter has thrived here and has learned so much just in this first year. She is reading above grade level, loves doing math problems, and has made new friends. We will be sending our younger child here in the Fall for kindergarten, and he can't wait!

Posted June 17, 2013
Spring valley holds many activities that allow parents to be involved in their child's education. Teachers work very hard to meet the high standards set for them by administration. Students could achieve on a much higher level if their teachers had more support, higher morale and less pressure from administrators. Principal Parker micromanages every aspect of everything that teachers do and our children are suffering from it.

Spring Valley Elementary School 1

Posted June 17, 2013
I am very upset about the attitude of the principal of my grandchild's school, Spring Valley. She is unresponsive to the parents, disconnected from the teachers, and completely disconnected from the students. This school has completely failed my grandchild and I intend to find out what the Superintendent and/or the School Board intends to do about it. I will be asking for a review of this principal. I would like some input as to the required duties and expectations of an elementary school principal.

Spring Valley Elementary School 4

Posted October 30, 2012
This school is striving to be a school of excellence. It has strong leadership and has adopted the new Core Curriculum in which the teaching style is very advanced. My son loves it and so do I. I'm pleased with the programs that they have for children as well

Posted February 23, 2012
This school is very unorganized. My daughter has been at this school since it opened and although she has had some good teachers she has had a few bad ones too. The assembles and field trips that they plan always seem unorganized. I have witnessed teachers yelling at students to stop yelling, it seems like the staff has no control of the children. While many of the schools problems could be solved with parent involvement, it's obvious to me that this just won't happen.

Spring Valley Elementary School 3

Posted August 17, 2011
Spring Valley has a really good Principal and Assistant Principal who is striving to make this school the best possible learning facility it could possibly be, but unfortunately...they need better teachers to accomplish this task. My son went to this school in the first grade and not only was the teacher inconsistent with teaching she actually asked my son if he was stupid or something because he could not sound out a word. Now, what kind of encouragement is that ??? My son's homework assignments were all over the place. She steadily tried to cram information at the last minute when testing came around at the end of the year instead of doing what she needed to do during the school year. If your child goes to this school, please make sure you are an active parent...please!

Spring Valley Elementary School 4

Posted February 15, 2011
There are some teachers who are true zealots in this school. They are forward looking and attempt to push parents harder. School age children spend 70% of their waking hours (including weekends and holidays) outside of school so its just mean to blame the teachers. Principal Parker are trying all kinds of activities to bring the parents into the curriculum. Support from the parents is the best way to improve this school. If you plan to avoid helping your child, please go elsewhere.

Posted June 16, 2010
Some teachers try very hard to ccommodate the pupil as well as the parents desires for their child. This could be hard to do when the curriculum is already set and the the desire for the teacher is to teach each child how to follow a particular curriculum set in place for the group, yet a parent wish for their child to be treated with extra special attention in a "normal" classroom setting. I've seen this as a volunteer. When parents don't spend time reinforcing what the school/teacher is trying to teach and their child falls behind, they blame the teachers. Not fair. Parents are not showing enough interest in the classrooms/schools and want the schools/classrooms to deliver geniuses. Parents, show up for more than to complaine on a teacher and maybe you'll see positive changes in the school/teacher/students. Help the teachers and the schools by showing up!!

Spring Valley Elementary School 1

Posted May 11, 2010
Moved last year and transferred my daughter into this school. Since she has been here i had noticed a slight drop in her grades and when i started volunteering i notice an extreme lack of discipline. Teachers yelling at students students doing almost anything they wanted, very chaotic. I have since transferred her into a private school and seen a huge improvement .

Spring Valley Elementary School 0

Posted April 19, 2010
The teachers and Principal at Spring Valley Elementary School really care about our children and them understanding their academic studies. They have the best learning activities for the kids such as in school museums, field trips, family nights, Parent Volunteer Day, and etc to keep the kids and parents involved!

Spring Valley Elementary School
2051 Northern Durham Parkway, Durham, NC  27703
Last modified Spring Valley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Spring Valley Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews.