Bad
Good

Elm City Elementary 4

Posted May 30, 2011
My daughter has attended E.C.E going on 4 years now. She scores very high in every area and is learning well. The school has had a lot of upgrades in appearance this year and it is looking great. I believe the teachers are good and are working as hard as they can. The area where there is a need for help is in parental involvement. Parents do not seem to participate well in this area and it directly affects how well their children perform and how much a teacher can do for them. My husband and I participate in nearly everything the school does and we are often thanked by the teachers and told how much they wished more parents would do the same. Parents need to realize they can't just toss their kids into the school system and hope everything turns out alright. If parents do not get excited about school with their kids, their children won't be enthusiastic about learning either. Educating children is a working relationship between teachers and parents and the school system. The school is great!! The principal and asst. principal and teaching staff are great!

Posted May 23, 2011
My son has been a student at Elm City Elementary for 5 years now and I have only good things to say about the school. My son is excelling and I give the credit to the excellent teachers he has had. I believe that the low ratings have more to do with the lack of parental involvement in their children's education than any deficiency on the schools part. The school is always spotless and in good repair as well for such an old building.

Elm City Elementary 3

Posted May 22, 2007
I have had no problems at Elm City Elementary. I think the majority of the teachers are very well qualified and I have been satisfied with my kids learning experiences there. I do think the building could use some definite improvements (especially bathrooms). I have seen a noticeable difference in teacher morale since Mrs. Ray stepped in. I do hope our EOG results improve this year!

Elm City Elementary 4

Posted February 21, 2007
My Kindergartener started the year off rough. Not because of her academic ability but becasue of the amount of behavior problems her teacher had to deal with that interfered with learning. As the year had gone on she has learned to just continue working during distruptive times if allowed. I too agree that the school is old and in need of repairs. Some of the classrooms are so overcrowded that teachers can barely teach. 1 teacher and one assistant to 28 Kindergarteners is to crowded. This school need some $$ alloted to growth and especially with the growth that WIlson OCunty is experiencing.

Elm City Elementary 1

Posted February 22, 2005
This school is very old and outdated. In the gym the girls bathroom the door is barely hanging onto the wall. You have to use a bungie cord to hold the door closed. The bathroom smells terrible, especially the boys bathroom! They do have a electric hand dryer but no soap dispenser. Kindergarten children are forced to take naps on a towel on the cold hard floor, because lack of space in the classrooms to store mats. This school needs some serious help. Every other school in Wilson county that I have been to is very clean (Rock Ridge, New Hope, Lucama)

Posted October 01, 2004
I have been at this school for about 9 years now and I feel that we have some of the greatest teachers around. I am very pleased with the quality of learning here and the high expectations for the level of achievement that is instilled in our children.Like every other school, we have issues that we face, but with the help of concerned and enthusiastic parents and the cooperation of the staff here, i think we make a good team.What we all need to realize, is that no school is exempt from problems, but it's how you handle them that ultimately makes the difference. If we as parents would get more information about each situation,then maybe we could be more helpful and less criticul.I consider the teachers my friends and I comend them for all their hard work and the things they put up with from this generation of children.

Posted September 30, 2004
I think this is a great school. My grandchildren attended this school from Kindergarten through 5th grade. The teachers were totally supportive of my situation with my grandchildren and I appreciate all that they did for us to make sure they were well educated. Even though this is an old school, the teachers did their best. They could use a new playground.

Elm City Elementary 1

Posted July 07, 2004
We were very disappointed with this school. 5th grade Parent-Teacher communication was almost nonexistent, unless repeatedly requested by the parent. We weren't told about problems until it was too late. Teacher seemed to be overwhelmed with having to deal with the 'unruly' children, which affected the 'good' children tremendously! Also, Lunchroom Staff kept messing up payments, which was very annoying. About the only good thing at that school was Ms. Lanier, the principal, what a great lady!

Elm City Elementary
5544 Lake Wilson Rd, Elm City, NC  27822
Last modified Elm City Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.