Douglas Byrd Middle 1

Posted May 30, 2014
i am 8th grade student at douglas byrd middle school going onto high school this year and i was highly upset about 2013-2014 school year. the principle thinks she's doing the students good by taking away things like field trips, dances. I wrote her a letter and put it in her box about the 8th grade students having there end of year dance and she said no . Students having been coming up to me asking if we were having one and i told them no because the principle said she didn't want to ruin it for us when we get to high school. Me part of the student government was highly upset because you know like all the 8th graders want this and i was very anxious about it so i kept trying. and i feel that since the principle didn't give us 8th grade students an end of grade dance , she decided to let everyone dress down for the rest of the year. which is a week and 2 and a half days. we are the only school in Cumberland County that did not have an 8th grade ball.. so i am highly upset with douglas byrd middle school and its principle. i will never change my decision about this school .

Douglas Byrd Middle 2

Posted March 22, 2013
Some teachers are highly unprofessional, they dress inappropriately with tight clothes etc, and they talk to the students inappropriately. Previous statements about not having open communication if correct, my child was involved in an serious incident at school and I never received one phone call or letter. If kids act up they kick them out of class with no supervision. Some insult them and wonder why the kids go off on them and several students have even accused teachers for being dishonest and rude. I work with kids every day, and have been impressed by the charter schools I visit in other counties. They have cameras in every classroom with sound and they encourage parent involvement. There s never a question about what happened, and with students and teachers being held more accountable knowing the cameras are watching them, incidents leading to suspensions are drastically reduced. That leaves teachers with more time to teach and less time with behavioral issues. I'm beginning to feel like the whole school system is outdated and needs to be privatized. It seems that charter schools can do so much more with the money and provide a higher level of education.

Posted January 04, 2013
I had to remove my child from a different school because of bullying and enrolled him in DBMS. From day one both I and my child were very pleased with the school. Students as well as staff members were very welcoming and my child loves it. It's nice to know there are still passionate teachers out there who care about the well being of our children and not only the EOG scores.

Douglas Byrd Middle 3

Posted March 06, 2012
My daughter goes to this school and she loves it, especially band. Mr. Starling is an awesome teacher!

Douglas Byrd Middle 0

Posted August 26, 2009
My daughter attends DBMS and we have never had any problems with the teachers or adminstrators. This school has apparently come a long way since Mrs Alford has been there. This will be my daughters last yr there and I am glad they have such caring and supportive teachers. I have read the other reviews about the school uniforms and I know that they do enforce these rules.

Posted May 15, 2009

Posted August 25, 2008
I don't know whether any of the previous reviewers from 2007 have bothered to inquire about the progress of DBMS, but the facts and figures speak for themselves. As of the 2007-2008 school year, DBMS is now a high-growth school with exemplary leadership and teachers. The fact of the matter is that everything hinges on GREAT leadership. When this changed, the school dramatically improved in every area. Don't take my word for it. Check the facts!

Posted June 27, 2008

Douglas Byrd Middle 4

Posted February 15, 2008
I am a new teacher and heard a lot of bad things about DBMS and went into the job a bit nervous. The principal is incredible though and came determined to change the image of the school and raise the score. Hat off to MRs. Alford because I believe she certainly is doing the job. The staff is working hard and there is hardly a free minute for anyone. It is a tough job because many students seem to have inclinations toward negative behavior which can be attributed to many things. We work hard here and need more parent support (which is growing , not knocking it!). If we keep this trend up it will prove in time that this is an excellent school. A great school is made up by the whole community not just the school staff and students!

Posted January 13, 2008

Douglas Byrd Middle
1616 Ireland Drive, Fayetteville, NC  28304
Last modified Douglas Byrd Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Douglas Byrd Middle Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews.