Fayetteville, NC
Students enrolled: 1,154

Douglas Byrd High 4

Posted July 03, 2013
A school can have a great administration and a wonderful teaching staff but it is all for nothing if PARENTS do not send their children to school ready to learn. Parents are the child's number one teacher and bears the BULK of responsibility for their child's educational experience and attainment. I raised my 2 girls to appreciate and respect education and the educational environment and they have both excelled despite the shortcomings of the schools they attended. I ask the parents complaining on here...What do YOU do, on a DAILY basis, to ensure that your child is academically ready to face the world? If you cannot positively answer that question then please don't throw stones at the schools. ---parent of a college graduate (3.95 GPA) and college freshman majoring in Nursing

Douglas Byrd High 5

Posted March 27, 2013
A lot of negative things have been said about DBHS. But the main people complaining, are the parents!! You have to go to the school to understand how great of a school it really is. There's something for everybody. Clubs, arts, sports; you name it. Some people just don't apply themselves so the missout on the whole experience that DB has to offer. If and when you keep busy doing things you love at school with people who have the same interest, you won't notice all the "bad" things. So don't let these NEGATIVE reviews make you miss out on some experiences you won't find anywhere else! --Proud, Class of 2016 Douglas Byrd High Student

Posted September 14, 2012
This school is so behind in teaching things that 9-12 should be learning. I blame Douglas Byrd Middle School. Every 9th grader that comes to Douglas Byrd High School is giving not algebra 1,,my kids had algebra 1 in 8th grade at John Griffin, they had to do the same math again when they went into 9th grade AT Douglas Byrd High..what a waste of time. They are to lazy to check the children's records to see what they need to take and what they don't need to take. They don't have time to teach they are to busy telling the big mouth kids to shut up.

Douglas Byrd High 3

Posted March 11, 2012
I am a returning sophomore at DBHS. I have to say that although Douglas Byrd has it's faults (and I challenge you to name a school that dosen't) it's still a energetic learning environment. The teachers here (the ones I have encountered at least) are dedicated to the success of their students. And, for the most part they have succeeded. Sure, there are a few bad apples that try to spoil the bunch, but I believe that our administration is doing the best they possibly can to neutralize this problem. I am an honors student in this school and I feel as though my teachers really try to push the limits of my knowledge and I am and always will be ever so grateful for that. Overall, I feel DBHS is, maybe not the Best, but a great school to attend.

Posted November 19, 2011
Douglas Byrd doesn't even deserve one star. I agree with that parent, Douglas Byrd is terrible and why in the world do they keep a Principal that doesn't even meet with parents, or even put rules or regulations down in the school. The children fight and curse and this is why the teachers take off more then the kids. Wral News station why dont you pull the records of the teachers and you will see that the teachers are absent more the the children that attend the school. The news media news to get involved this is why I am going to start writing letters to are congressman/women because change needs to come to this school.

Posted October 27, 2011
The school needs a lot of work, meaning the teachers are rude the school has at least a fight a day. For the person that wrote that the school is great maybe in your dreams. Wake up people the school is terrible and this is why the children have the biggest drop out rate out of any other school in Cumberland county. Frank Till I thought you were going to make schools safe and give our children a higher education isn't that true? The kids at Douglas Byrd learn nothing they are learning things that are for 6th graders. And what is the motto SWAG gosh sounds ghetto to me. Come on parents get involved and clean the school up its ridiculous that our children go to a school that the principal and the teachers can care less if our kids do well or not.

Posted August 20, 2011
I'm heading into 9th grade at Douglas Byrd High School. Only because I got redistricted from Jack Britt to now Douglas Byrd. But, as of now I don't find the school appealing to go to in any form. First, the so called "open house" was unorganized. There was only mentors there and no teachers! So I couldn't meet any of my teachers sadly. Also, they made the freshmen play games for the "open house" which I found ridiculous. Because I though I was going there to meet teachers. Second, a school is supposed to give you a good education with good grammar. But that seems not to be met,since their motto is " Got Swag?". "Swag" being a slang word,how is that teaching students good grammar? Also, I got a packet of paper work for my mom to fill out. I and her both found over 5 grammar mistakes. Also, the school isn't the cleanest and appealing. I walked around the school and it was dirty and each hallway I walked down had weird smells of ash or smoke.

Posted March 29, 2011
I ask about sitting in on my child's classes I was told that the teacher had to give me permission first. Sounds like they don't want you to be a part of your child's education.Makes you wonder what they are trying to hide. I ask about having lunch with my child and was told they had to see if parents could still do this. I was allowed, but have you ever heard of not being able to have lunch with your child? Two teachers did not respond to my email addressing issues with my child even after a week went by. When ask about it I received an apology. They do not have a firewall on their computers so you not only have to be concerned about what they are doing online at home but you also have to worry about what they are doing at school. In the Honor's program A&P is an elective...what is up with this??She is not getting a proper education here.If I could get my child into any other school I would and have been seeking other avenues. What has happened to this school system???

Douglas Byrd High 0

Posted March 26, 2010
Well to me i love DBMS because ever one not pefect and we are getting better as we go. The teachers are great ,lunch could be better. We're trying to do better as we go.

Douglas Byrd High 3

Posted September 01, 2009

Douglas Byrd High
1624 Ireland Drive, Fayetteville, NC  28304
Last modified Douglas Byrd High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Douglas Byrd High Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top