Posted May 08, 2014
This school is not all that it's cracked up to be. Is someone paying somebody else to get great reviews & test scores 'cause we surely didn't see that at JGMS?! A lot of other parents I talked to at JGMS also agreed. Granted it does have its fair share of good teachers, but it also has its share of not so good ones that you have to wonder why they're even teaching ($)--at our children's expense. I couldn't agree more with the post on 11/17/13 & 6/3/13 as my child has experienced a totally different atmosphere at PFMS after leaving JGMS. I do have to say that JGMS will be getting one of the best science teachers around next year in Ms. Bragg since she is leaving PFMS due to proximity to home. Those that get her will have one of the best! Besides, Jack Britt/ JGMS are at least 30-40mins from Ft. Bragg area, if you work there. You should really check out the Pine Forest area if working at Bragg. Greatly surprised and pleased there. JGMS did have dances for the kids, which was nice. No PTA/O and strict (sometimes to extreme). Should have gone by our gut feeling when we first visited as one of the asst. principal's was yelling loudly at a child & didn't even close door.

John R Griffin Middle 2

Posted November 17, 2013
We recently moved to the area after hearing how wonderful the schools are and how they are the best in the county. If you are looking at test scores, yes they are higher than some other schools, but that comes with a price. This school runs an extremely tight ship and literally spent about the first week of school going over all the rules/ punishments. My kids were scared to death, to the point where they were afraid to turn in club applications or AG testing papers in the morning because they may get in trouble for not going straight to their class. It has been very difficult for them to make friends due to all the rules and lack of any type of social time. They even spend lunch at assigned seating with teachers. There is no PTA or PTSA at this school which is a red flag. I don't feel they are very open to parent involvement and honestly don't care about the emotional well being of the kids, only the test scores. I'm not impressed by the administration and feel that only a handful of teachers are actually teaching the children. NC by far doesn't have the best education system. I wish we had looked elsewhere and will be pulling our kids out. Way too overcrowded!

Posted June 03, 2013
Great academics....but some of the teachers disregard anything a student may say (even the good students), some teachers forget to collect/grade/record work assignments and are very quick to give a "zero grades" on progress reports. Some teachers even act worse than the student for example..getting and putting hands in students faces. I regards to the 8th grade class this school only validates the student that earned straight "A' ALL year...so if you earned a B at any point you do NOT receive an End-of-the-Year Award Ceremony. As a parent that is very disappointing that this school only values the academic aspect of a student and not the student moral. Glad she is of to HS.

Posted May 24, 2013
This is an excellent school with great teacher quality. One of our sons attended a few years ago, and we have one attending now. The academic program seems to have improved, and parent involvement is encouraged. The environment is positive, and students are provided with good direction. This school tops the test standards in many areas, and is above the state and county averages which speaks for itself.

John R Griffin Middle 2

Posted May 21, 2012
This school needs improvement in all areas especially when it come to bullying,instead of charging students under cumberland county policies and given them Iss or suspending them they need to retrain all staff how to deal with bullies and address the issue before it get's out of hand.as far as academic I can't say much because while there has been improvement in some areas my child still continue to fail.the principal seems to care however his staff are the problem.so my stars are for the principal

Posted January 03, 2012
I go to JGMS now. This school is crowded but for the most part everybody gets along and learning takes place. The best part about this school is my computer teacher, Ms.Mercer is the coolest teacher ever! She is like a mom to most of us and she really cares about our education and safety.

Posted August 20, 2011
I recently finished school at John Griffin. I went there from 6-8 grade and now heading into 9th grade. It's a great school to attend for academics and sports and everything else. Just about every year JGMS beats the county on EOG scores and even my 8th grade year we beat the county on EOG scores with the highest science scores. So I'd say that's pretty good. But when it comes to bullying and fights they kind of just trow it under the carpet. Also, you have to walk in straight lines going down the hallways but it's some what of a good thing to keep it organized. There are many rules,but thats what keeps schools in line and clean.

Posted July 22, 2010
Honestly, the academics of this school are great, the school is fairly clean, teachers are nice, and no gangs or violence. But, being a student, I found the atmosphere to be cold. You are not allowed to talk when you enter the school, or enter the hallway, or in the classroom, and sometimes even at lunch. So many cliques were formed, and if you weren't there in the sixth grade, it would be hard to make some friends. But, you come to school to learn and if that's what you need to do, this is the perfect school for that.

Posted May 04, 2010

Posted March 27, 2010
This is a very good school, so it may seem strange that I transferred my daughter out of this school after her sixth grade year. The school is great in academics, athletics, and most certainly extracurricular activities, but when it comes down to it, the school is much too crowded and overly competitive. Plus, after trying since it's been open, the school is good, but just cannot beat Seventy-First Classical Middle School, which is right down the road, which is why I transferred my daughter there. They have had many failed attempts to take the lead, and as the old saying goes, 'If you can't beat them, join them.' That's exactly what we did here. So overall, the school is very good, but there's a better one, in fact the best in the county, right down the road, if you know what I mean.

John R Griffin Middle
5551 Fisher Road, Fayetteville, NC  28304
Last modified John R Griffin Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John R Griffin Middle Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews.