Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Racism and favoritism is highly prevalent at this school. They give harsher punishments to black males than others. They are petty, major in the minors and the teachers are quick to chastise instead of caring for the students. If you are not an "A" student you will be ignored. The only reasons why I didn't give this school a terrible rating is because they are organized, inform you of any announcements and changes and there are a few good teachers. Overall, I'm looking for another school for my son to attend. It's a joke here!! Please don't move in the district like I did expecting the cream of the crop. JGMS is not the school to be at.

Shame on John Griffin Middle School in Fayetteville, NC for censoring Donald Trump's inauguration and instead showing Barack Obama's and previous presidents, things that happened 8+ years ago! How is this okay? This isn't teaching children anything except that it is okay to pick and choose what parts of history to acknowledge and what they think they can ignore! These children deserve to know who their president is! Shame on you!

I love that JGMS pushes the children to be responsible for their actions and schoolwork. I admire the teacher's perseverance and tenacity in a thankless job. The only issue I have with JGMS is in developing a plan for my son who has adhd. I can only speak to my experience but I felt a big push back from the staff person responsible for making that happen. That said, they did agree to implementing classroom measures to help him such as giving extra time on tests, etc. His grades did improve through the year. However, the downside to no written plan is this year he will have a new set of teachers and because there is no written plan, it will be like starting anew. Additionally, I have read the transition from 8th grade to 9th grade will be very hard if no plan is in place. His doctor has recommended several times he needs the plan - just telling school staff that recommendation hasn't moved the process forward. This year I will go with a letter from the doctor. Additionally, my son is being tested at Haymount Institute, so there will be an official diagnosis. I do believe that when this happens JGMS will be on board. From what I hear this fight is typical across the border and not limited to JGMS. Doesn't make it right but it just is what it is.... In the past at another school, my son was bullied - it was a nightmare to get the school to acknowledge the behavior. I am concerned about the complaints on this page of sexual harassment, bullying and race issues at JGMS. I know it is hard to monitor every moment as a teacher. My son has stated there is bullying and racism at the school. I don't know how extensive it is but a little is too much. As a parent, I do feel it is my responsibility to teach my son how important it is to speak up if he sees this type of behavior happening. But at this age, it is very hard to convince a student to speak up. And it is the school's responsibility to make the atmosphere safe. Overall, I am satisfied with JGMS and their management of my child's education. I chose where I lived based on Jack Britt's reputation and am thankful JGMS was a part of the deal! I want my son to be prepared for high school and college. I would recommend JGMS to others.

This school has high test scores but when it comes to the kids the teachers tend target certain students and favor others. And teachers are often bias when it comes to race. Often students of color are reprimanded more, and given harsher punishments. But then others are allowed to do as they please within the school or only get slaps on the wrist. This school has many race issues that are reported by students but are never dealt with, and often ignored. The teachers also don't care about if the students are actually learning as long as the score high on E.O.Gs. The principles and teachers also fail to deal with harrassment, sexual harrassment, bullying, assault, sexual assult, and race issues. Any problems have always been swept under the rug. And unless it comes from a white child nothing will be done about the issues. I would not recommend this school as a parent of children who have spent all of middle school here

Do not waste your time. This school when looked at from someone who hasn't done their research would see how appealing it is academically wise but it is not all cut out to what it tries to show. As a former parent of multiple kids who have attended this school, I have to say it has been far worse compared to the other schools they have attended. The faculty did not deal with any of my children's problems when reported and I asked my children if their friends had the same problem and they agreed. I have communicated to other parents who have or had children attend this school and they agree on the lack of support that the children had when it came to addressing a problem. Almost all kid's situations and problems were dealt with briefly but immediately disregarded afterwards. Bullying and racism is a major problem within this school that has had no improvement whatsoever. Kids who racially oppressed others were not dealt with at all and were let free to ruin p.o.c's day. Teachers did absolutely nothing about this problem and let it go nonchalantly. Also, the learning strategy of this school is terrible. Constantly every week the school was giving them tests from the county to the point of over stressing all the children's minds. Breaks were never given. This entire school revolves around e.o.g's instead of just the joy of learning in general. Everything always had to deal with practicing for the end of grade test. The faculty needs to get itself together and help solve these problems. Everytime a kid reported a problem, they would immediately dismiss it and would only deal with it if the parent was forceful and determined to get the problem fixed. Other then that, I will for surely not be recommending this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

They only care about the straight A student. The other students become invisible. They are dramatic and over the top

Develops character: Disagree

They expect "cookie-cutter" kids. Those who make 5s on the EOGs and get straight As. Every kid is not standardized therefore the standardized tests given are ridiculous. Their focus is off!!

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Some of the teachers are great, but the who school is hurt by the teachers that bully.

We have one child at JGMS and another who will be here next year. The school is ran very well, the teachers have all been professional so far. Looking forward to this upcoming year. Take the time to volunteer when you can, even if you work full time you can probably find some time. Stay involved in your child's school life. It makes a huge difference.

This school my have good test scores but are these kids being taught to the test or learning. Well, I can attest to the fact that they are being taught to the test is this how we want are children to learn. In New York parents are protesting this type of learning and demanding better for their children and why should we except less here in NC. Not every child can be scored by standardized testing (children are not standardized)! Teachers as far as I can remember are suppose to be a person children feel comfortable confiding in not at JGMS. The Assistant Principal is far from friendly, kind,or caring all things that that should be required in any Principal. Along with test scores, there is the issue of harsh punishment, yet this does not apply to all. The bullying situation is pushed under the rug, the administration there I believe has no clue what to do in regards to the bullying. The upper administration of this school act as if they can do what ever they want and answer to no one, that is very scary.

Last modified John R Griffin Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.