Jack Britt High School

Public | 9-12 | 1914 students

Sweep tile

Posted December 30, 2013

Jack Britt is rated 8 on Great Schools list but it only has a 12% college readiness rating which I feel is very sad indeed. Algebra and English are not even rated. There are a few teachers that DO NOT seem to perform too well but still have jobs. The Principal needs to be replaced. The CHEATING needs to be stopped. CHEATING is rampant throughout the school. Even some in the top 10% of the students of the senior class are CHEATERS. I am all for teachers getting a better pay check, but the system really should drop the bad apples.

Posted December 30, 2013

Jack Britt is the cream of the crop! The teachers, staff, and administration are very professional and knowledgeable with their field of study. There is absolutely no reason why any student should feel left out or alone. There are probably 100 or more different clubs and organizations that student's can be a part of. If student's feel isolated, it may be because of there choice! I have two children that graduayed from Britt. Both received scholarships to college. Jack Britt really prepared them for the next level in education. Mrs. Garrison is awesome and she has an awesome staff! We are truly blessed to be a part of this excellent school!

Posted October 16, 2013

If you haven't seen the movie Pump up the Volume it is a must see before you send your child to this school. Out of state educators and substitute teachers I have talked to say it is one of the worst schools they have ever experienced. I am also appalled at the stories I hear from the many students I have talked to. These stories are of course about some of the administrators and a few teachers and it brings their morality in to question.

Posted October 10, 2013

I have two kids at JB a freshman and a junior. The teachers are approachable and courteous. The staff and principal are all on one accord. There are numerous programs for any student from athletics to theatre and art. The school is just an Excellent all around and the environment breeds success

Posted June 15, 2013

My kids have been at Jack Britt for two years, now. I love this school, and so do they. The teachers and administration are committed to making sure students succeed. There is a contagious sense of pride in excellence in many areas. My one complaint has been that the choral program was mediocre, but they are getting a new choir director, so I am hoping that department will soon live up to the level of excellence that the rest of the school offers.

Posted May 6, 2013

My daughter is a Sophomore this year coming from overseas. Being a military family we have been to several school districts. This school may not be perfect but it is far better than any of the other schools my children have attended. They have several programs to choose from that encourage the students to succeed. The academic and athletic programs are taught at a high level. They push the students to levels they don't even think they can accomplish. We have been to several games this year all over the surrounding area and the school pride that comes from this school far exceeds those of other schools.

Posted February 18, 2013

I am sorry to say this is not as great as they make it out to be. For all you military personnel, the place to live is the up and coming Hoke County. They are building hospitals and a lot more. There are some beautiful houses there and brand new schools that hand pick there teachers like Don Steed. People try to say this is the best district but it is not.

Posted October 25, 2012

Just checking out school reviews. I see this schools reviews are ok not the best. I see a lot of complaints concerning the administration which is really NOT a good thing.I do not have children attend this school , I am merely just checking out the reviews and seeing what needs improvement!

Posted August 12, 2012

I am very impressed with this school and the commitment demonstrated by the principal and the staff. I find the principal approachable and very personable. The only issue I could possibly come up with on the down side is the traffic. Parents picking up children must pass through the students parking lot when school lets out; one entrance and exit is problematic.

Posted October 8, 2011

I have been going to Jack Britt since my freshman year, and will be graduating as a student of 2k13. I love this school. Sure, there are some things that could definitely be improved but, honestly, where is a place where that isn't true? I am proud to say I am a Marching Buccaneer, as well as a member of the Forensics team. I am not neglected, but it"s not because I'm involved in these things, it's because these people care. As much as we fight them, as much as we try to come out on top, these teachers and administrators have our best interests at heart. I have been in schools where that wasn't true, so I know what I'm talking about. Sometimes rather than assume the school, is against us, we need to realize there are a lot of kids. and believe me, there is a reason there are a lot of kids! I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, and there are kids that feel the same way I do. There is great leadership on every sport, activity, etc and even better leadership among our higher ups. I'm not a suck up, I'm just glad to go somewhere where I'm cared about as a person, not just a test score or number. We need to realize what we have instead of complaining.

Posted August 23, 2011

We transferred here from HI and researched schools continuously prior to coming back to Fayeteville. We chose Jack Britt school district because of the wonderful reviews. We couldn't be happier. So thankful for all the hard work w/ my daughter's guidance counselor to help get the credits she needed in order to graduate on time coming from the awful DOE in HI!

Posted May 24, 2011

Academic and athletic wise, Jack Britt High School is one of the best. But if you're not an athlete, or involved in some school activity or club, you're basically just dead weight. I've been attending JBHS since my freshman year. I don't play a sport, I'm not on the Forensic Team or anything like that. I am in Spanish Club, but that's all. My grades are decent. A's and B's. And I feel like I'm just going along for the ride. Athletic students and people who participate in clubs, I feel, are treated better than students who don't. Teachers and administrators pay more attention to football players, basketball players, cheerleaders, etc. They get away with more and are placed above the rest. Another issue I have with the school is the rules. I'm not a rule-breaker and I don't mind following rues. I won't be attending Jack Britt my senior year, which is kind of bitter-sweet. If you want your child to be in a school where "excellence" and maintaining a clean cutt reputation is the goal, then JBHS is the school for you. But if you don't want child to slip under the radar because they arent in any extracurricular activities, then JBHS isn't the school.

Posted May 16, 2011

I could not be more pleased with Jack Britt High School. My daughter loves it. She is finishing up her freshman year. Unfortunately the military is transfering me this summer so we have to leave. I can only dream that we can find a school as great as Jack Britt....GO BUCS!

Posted May 6, 2011

After considering relocating to Fayetteville we spent months researching the county schools and decided that Jack Britt was the best place for our children to benefit from the best possible education. Little did we know at that time that the staff as well as the board of this particular school is more concerned with their reputation, catering to the more wealthy families, and keeping those whom they feel should not be priviliged to mingle with certian others at a distance rather then that of their students education. "If it soulds like prejudice, looks like prejudice chances are it is indeed prejudice." I am a very concerned parent that will not sit back a watch as some attempt to criple kids. My goal will be to ensure that no other students are denyed education by this group purely based on their status quo. I am awaiting a return call from News Channel Five to inform as many concern parents whom like myself are unaware of the seriousness of some past recent events which occurs more often than society realizes and I do believe its time that we take and stand if for nothing more than the sake of the future of America. After all the children are the future!

Posted March 4, 2011

My child made it one semester before I pulled her out. She was bullied, she was suspended for defending herself, and after when she would tell counselors she was still having problems. They were not dealt with as promised to her. Her academics were low, administrators let me know the reason wasn't just her but a couple of her teachers and gave me a minimum break down of what she need to pass each grade. After withdrawing her, they were unaware that she was attending another school but waited until she had missed 10 days in their books to notify me that she was not attending school and going to fail the semester. Which made me once again feel as though I had made the correct decision in leaving that school. I have a younger daughter and there is no way I would have her attend this school.

Posted February 27, 2011

I guess Jack Britt is a great school for those that are involved in sports or other glorified activities. This school is not good for special needs children they fall in the cracks. Just because a child has a learning disability doesnt make them any less deserving than a child that doesnt. We have taken our child out of this school. Please parents speak up that have had this experience dont be afraid they need to know how they are failing in this area.

Posted December 10, 2010

My wife and I are extremely pleased with the Teachers/Administratiion at Jack Britt. My son is in his 2nd year and is THRIVING. The principal runs a "tight ship" - which I Love, but has also been responsive to any specific requests we've had. There are a lot of rules, but nothing unreasonable in my opinion. Our son is not only learning academically he is also learing what is required to be a successful citizen.

Posted October 4, 2010

my son attends this school, and I think some of the rules they have here are ridiculous, if I have to check my son out for an appointment,and I personally go in and sign him out, it should be excused without a note, and he should be allowed to make up his work without getting a failing grade, that is absurd. they put so many restrictions on these kids, its no wonder they fail, our job is to teach them an education, not make them not want to try, and if these teachers have a problem with the student, pick up the phone and call the parent, because when report cards come home is the only time I see them downing your kid if he is not up to standard, wheres my phone call about maybe we need a parent teacher meeting before bad grades arrive?

Posted May 5, 2010

I am a student at JBHS and I enjoy it. I am about to graduate and I think I am lucky to go to school here. The only problem about this school is the restrictions. But the education is great and there are truly amazing teachers here.

Posted April 24, 2010

My son graduate from JB in 2008, and his reading skills, wasn't where they should have been .With that being said Pam Darden got together a skilled team of teachers that assited my son and prepared him 2 years prior graduation.She's definitely an asset to the school. I can concur about no bully and no nonsense isn't among the students. It reminds me of how school use to be. School should be for learning and preparation for your future, this school excells and I'm proud of their hard work. Job Well Done

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2011.

491 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

Reading

Science

Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

380 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 82% in 2011.

283 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

390 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Civics and Economics

The state average for Civics and Economics was 80% in 2011.

476 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English I

The state average for English I was 83% in 2012.

495 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

497 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 77% in 2011.

231 students were tested at this school in 2011.

United States History

The state average for United States History was 82% in 2011.

382 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 29%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Art teacher(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields