Alpha Academy

Charter | K-8 | 406 students

Living in Fayetteville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $145,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $650.

Sweep tile

Posted March 16, 2014

This school is the best school you could send your child to in Cumberland county. I am currently enrolled and I have been for 5 months now and I love it. The teachers give you the assistance you need to succeed in life and have a proper education . But to succeed you need to put in effort. They offer tutoring if you need and the have many benefits to help the community. They also have an amazing athletic department, soccer ,Softball, Baseball, Pep-squad,and basketball all open for both genders. Overall this is an amazing school.

Posted March 6, 2014

Alpha Academy in Fayetteville NC is, in my opinion, a sham. As a prior employee I can say from experience that the Administration does not seem to care about students/parents/teachers, condones bullying, and does not include parents in their so-called partnership. The Curriculum Superintendent is without an education in education. The communications within the Alpha Academy structure is terrible and there is an extreme deficit in the area of good leadership. This causes a huge turnover in teachers which weakens the Alpha Academy and this weakness shows in Alpha's dropping test scores. Alpha's teacher to student ratio has doubled since they moved to the Raeford Road location. Alpha puts huge and strong requirements on teachers and parents but does not give respect to either. The Alpha Academy difference is that it is their way or the highway and if parents or teachers do not like it, go back to the shoddy regular school system. The one shining star that I give this school is for the staff who puts up with a great deal of disrespect and chaos from the Administration Parents and teachers ~ Beware. You can do much better elsewhere. Hold out for the new charter schools coming in.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 24, 2014

This school is truly not what it was made out to be. My child is in the 5th grade and on her 3rd teacher since school has begun. The communication in the Administration is very poor. they are to concerned on making Money for the school instead of teaching our children, Promises made are not kept. I thought I was doing the right thing in putting y Child at Alpha Academy instead of public school, what a huge mistake. She has come from a A/b Honor Roll student to struggling to make the grades now. The school needs to be more aggressive on hiring there teachers and teaching assistants and get involved more in learning achievements and buying books. Instead of worrying about building a playground. They need to be more concerned in building a cafeteria and a library and getting the tutoring program up to higher standards.

Posted December 20, 2013

The curriculum is geared towards garnering the highest possible scores and doesn't institute critical thinking skills necessary for them to compete. Teachers don't teach/mentor anymore, all they do is give homework and blame students when they fail. There's no reason kids need 1.5-2 hours of homework daily. Teachers need to understand kids need to be motivated and inspired to learn. I witnessed a despicable act when I went to pickup my children and saw teachers and bus drivers yell at a point of frustration/intimidation at kids. When I looked to confront them, they immediately quieted their voice and tone and were clearly ashamed of their behavior. They behaved more like prison guards. How were they behaving when parents weren't there? It was a mistake for me to expose my children to this experience simply because I perceived it would challenge them academically. In reality there's more homework and memorization, not tools to allow them to think more effectively. Your child is only young once and they deserve the best experience and mentors (besides yourselves) you can offer them. We're out, there's several more years of kids being kids and we're going to savor it.

Posted November 21, 2013

I feel this school is failing my children. It has not turned out to be what it presents itself as: a school of excellence. My children went from an all A report card to my one struggling to stay afloat and the other failing all subjects. Homework starts from the moment they come home and continues often until well past bedtime, sometimes more than three hours. They are unhappy and have come to resist all things school-related, even reading out of sheer "educational" burnout. All of the reasons I chose to pursue this school as an educational option for my children have turned out to be the reasons they are failing to thrive. I strongly urge parents to discuss this school with other parents who have children currently enrolled or have attended Alpha in the past. It is obviously a great fit for some, but sadly it is not a fit for mine and others. I often tell parents it is a mixed bag in benefits and drawbacks but, for my family the mix has rapidly declined into a outright negative experience and I, once again, urge parents to fully research and think hard before choosing Alpha Academy.

Posted November 18, 2013

i am very concerned about what is going on at this school. could someone please investigate this new location at Raeford road. I was happy with the school at first but now I am worried.

Posted November 1, 2013

Just pulled my son out. If you have a very bright child this is not the school for you. Class sizes are HUGE and teachers just dont have time to help whether they are gifted or behind. There is no real plan to teach gifted children. No AIG, advancements, sitting in proper grade for certain subjects. They just say we give him extra work. My son loves school and he started begging me not to go cause he was bullied and so bored. They have no playground and run around in the grass. MANY really bad kids there and they just cannot control them. Vice Principal is lazy and couldn't even act properly like he cared about my child. I left meeting with him and went straight to enroll him somewhere else. I gave them benifit of the doubt by these reviews but I know now I have done my son an injustice. RUN....

Posted September 23, 2013

This school is the best I ever did for my kids. You guys have your opinions. If you don't like the school then take your kids out. I have not had a problem with this school. You knew they didn't have a lunch room so stop complaining. My kids have learned so much. Keep up the work Alpha Academy.

Posted September 13, 2013

It hasn't been a full month since school has started and I am ready to pull my kids out of this school. #1 there is no nurse at the school. My kid got hurt and I found out when she got home with a bruise on her face. #2 No cafeteria in this school, gym was way important than feeding children, #3 they have teachers who don't speak english and cannot teach a class properly. I am disappointed with this school. Tuition was free but the amount you pay on the uniform shirts plus the long list of supplies they need and every other fee for books, it is not worth it. Send your kids to public school and take your chances. This school is a huge joke ! Biggest mistake I've ever made sending them to this school.

Posted August 20, 2013

This is my daughter second year. K-1 was good because of a good teacher/parents communication. .they do require a lot of homework but most things you have to work for. This year there are new teachers and a lot more students.

Posted August 4, 2013

This school is a joke. Teachers are grossly overworked and underpaid. The students are rude and obnoxious and the administration does not uphold the standards that they profess to have. My child was harassed at this school and the administration looked the other way. Send your child somewhere else. If that is not an option, consider homeschooling.

Posted July 22, 2013

Bad school choice!!! Run with your child to another school. They are not prepared to properly educate your child.

Posted April 25, 2013

My son goes to this school. Please run the other way with your child. My son has been bullied everyday in this school year. When I call, they are never returned. So I had to go in person and saying I am pressing charges for someone to respond. My son has problems with his homework everyday. I talked to the math teacher and she told me well he needs to catch up.How can you catch up and you don't know what you are doing from the start. All they are worried about is a standardized testing. They have a gym, but the children can only use it if they are good. My son was a A,B student in three different school, We are a military family. In this school, he makes D's and F's. My son cries to not go to school. In all of his other school, he was the first to get up and be ready. Most of the children comes from the project, so be prepared for you child coming home asking you questions and you say where did you hear that, and telling him not to say that.

Posted February 6, 2013

Loved the school when it was at the Fayetteville location...not so much in the new location. They obviously mis-managed thier money, not allowing for the essentials to create a well rounded student and overcrowding the classrooms to get more students (more students equals more funding). Studies show that children learn better when exposed to Arts, Science and Physical Education. Alpha managed these aspects at thier old location but do not even offer it at the new location (just started allowing student PE 1 day/week). In the begining I donated over $500 of outdoor equipement...less than a week later my daughters (2nd grade and KIndergarted) informed me that they no longer could play with them. My 2nd graders classromm was promised to me (at orientation) to contain no more than "18 at the most"...she had 28! I pulled her and put her into Scurlock, now she is in a class of 23 which I still believe to be to big but soooo much better then the alternative. If your child is a over-ambitious self-starter, whose only need is hardcore scholastics, then Alpha is your school. Its your child, you make the choice.

Posted April 30, 2012

I pulled my kids out of this school (and not in it's infant stages). I understand that kids need rigorous education, but they also need time to just be kids! Being in school from 7:45 to 3:45 then coming home to 3-4+ hours of homework is ridiculous esp in 3rd grade! The teachers are excellent and I know are only following administrative orders but it's way too much. The first step in any child succeeding in their educational career is that they believe they can, and when nothing they do is adequate in the eyes of administration a child feels defeated. They need to find a happy medium... And STOP COMPARING EVERYTHING HERE TO CHINA!!!

Posted January 18, 2012

There is so much that goes on that this school. I am surprised nobody else has come on here and said it! Kids curse at teachers. Teachers quit all the time. The students are rude. I had my kids there for a short time and took them right out because it was not the environment I thought it would be! That was NOT when the school was in the infant stages. They need to kick the kids out who don't listen like they said they would do.

Posted January 9, 2012

Most of the negative reviews here are from when the academy was still in its infant stages. It's come a long way since then. I have three children attending the academy, and they absolutely love it. The small teacher-to-student ratio allows their individualized attention, and the assistant principal is so involved with all the staff, parents, and kids. Currently, the school is in the process of moving to a bigger location. Also, the curriculum places a lot of emphasis on reading, math, and science.

Posted January 19, 2011

My two children attended Alpha Academy during the 2007/08 and 2008/09 school year. I was blown away by the pre-k teacher Miss Rose! She is awsome. I wanted her to teach my daughter through the rest of her school years but unfortunately that was not possible. My second grader struggled a bit with reading, but was encouraged to read as well as keep daily journals. The journaling is something I was not exposed to until I was in Jr. High School. Due to our pcs move my children no longer attend Alpha. I wish I could find a school like Alpha where we live now. We enjoyed this school very much and miss all our friends we made there. Yolanda Moore, Noel, & Joy

Posted August 31, 2009

I currently have 4 children attending Alpha Academy. When I first arrived in Fayetteville 3 out of 4 children were attending a local school in our neighborhood. The work was to easy for the children and their minds was not being challenged. I will never forget the day when my son came home and said mommy the work is to easy. At that point I had to figure something out. The doors were open so that they could attend Alpha Academy. Last year was their first year at Alpha Academy and they excelled like never before. Being a part of Alpha takes parents involvement also. Yes the teachers are their but without us as parents ensuring that every need is met the students will lose out. I love the principal discipline. School is a place to learn not a place to have fun and hang out. Education!!!!

Posted October 7, 2007

Alpha is a small school, and it may not have a fancy football field but it does have a dream that all children can learn together. Gifted kids sit next to children with downs syndrome. Generic test scores in this enviroment are obviously not accurate - what is accurate is that all children learn, improve, and grow. Most of the schools in cumberland county are in need of improvement and they have twice the financial resources this small school does. Many of the students come from other counties as well to be part of the Alpha family. This is a very parent involved school. If you believe your child has potential otherwise unseen, perhaps it can be seen at Alpha.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 46% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 41% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students53%

Non-disabled students47%
Proficient in English44%
Non-migrant44%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students37%

Non-disabled students46%
Proficient in English46%
Non-migrant46%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

• Mr Eugene Slocum
Fax number
  • (910) 678-9011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now