Public charter
Fayetteville, NC

Alpha Academy 3

Posted January 22, 2015
It is wanting of -I don't know exactly how to put it but I'll say- tenderness. It is way, way, way too military like. We moved here from a wealthy suburb where the school was of course superb, but there was also a spirit of love and kindness. At this school, however, I think the children are treated a bit like privates in a boot camp. Even their PE is military like. So, it is certainly not a good fit for everyone, especially if your child thrives in nurturing environments as mine does. A three star rating, however, because the children I think are truly are a cut above the rest here in Fayetteville. It is a shame, however, that far too many of the administrators in charge of children don't seem to really respect childhood.

Alpha Academy 4

Posted January 01, 2015
We are closing out our 3rd year at Alpha and overall I am pleased with the school and their growth. We came here their first year in the new building and all the growing pains. It wasn't always easy, but now things are definitely on the right track. Every school has negatives and positives but I prefer to focus on the positives and how much my children (1st & 8th) have grown. They are challenged and held to higher standards than the regular public school system. I love that their main teaching focus isn't passing an EOG test. Main stream schools ONLY teach to the test. My children are learning the foundations and in turn are passing the tests. There are a lot of negative comments and low scores for Alpha on this site and to be honest I might not have applied had I read the reviews first. I am sooo glad I didn't judge a book by its cover and saw for myself what the school is capable of based off our personal experience.

Posted October 26, 2014
"amazing i have gonr for about 6 years now and i have excelled to acheive greater things now" I am wondering if a student wrote this little piece. If this is the case, we have a problem with academics.
2 people found this helpful

Alpha Academy 3

Posted October 22, 2014
I just put my kids at alpha academy for a few weeks now and I am not sure if it is going to be good for the kids or not. But my daughter has complainted about her teacher being mean. And they give the kids too much home works to the point it tired me out and tired them out too. I am not sure if they learn anything by doing too much home works or starting to hate school. A few people was telling me how wonderful their kids are doing at this school. But now I am not so sure. If it does not work for the kids, I can always take them out.

Alpha Academy 4

Posted October 15, 2014
I must agree, like all schools, Alpha Academy has had it's challenges. I have three children attending Alpha and I have had my share of complaints along with my great satisfactions in the past. My children have been attending Alpha Academy for over four years and there have been ups and downs, but this year I see a dramatic change and growth at Alpha Academy. I have gathered the same response from other parents as well. My children are doing wonderful at Alpha Academy. They were performing academically well in the public school system, but were not being challenged enough or provided a bully safe environment. Bullying is addressed differently, now. Obviously, they are responding to parents request and reading these reviews. The academic curriculum has grown and become more organized. I have read all of the reviews on this site and I am a little disappointed that some gave all negative reviews without expressing the positives. I am a very happy parent now and I am glad I stuck it out with Alpha as they struggled with their challenges. They got it right this year! I hope they stick to it and continue to grow as they have promised me. My children are happy and I am too.

Posted August 11, 2014
High academic expectation of the students they don't just let them do the bare minimum for that grade level. My son's class was doing work for the next grade up months before the end of that school year. Plus they have small class sizes, also wonderful and involved teachers!

Posted June 27, 2014

Posted May 05, 2014
Do not send your child to this school.... My child has been bullied (kicked, picked on, hit, etc...). I have left work on several occasions because the Administration refuses to do anything. Things escalated to my child getting into a fight after another child slapped his head. Because all year my child has been putting up with this foolishness, he finally hit back. Well, my child is suspended for 3 days. The uneducated, unprofessional Vice Principal McCoy, was very nonchalant about my concerns. He even went out his way to start up further commotion. I can't fathom the sense in this, but my son and other little kid, were put in the same room together and left unattended until the parents arrived to picked them up. I am trying very hard to follow the chain of command, but of course, no returned call from the Principal/Owner as of yet. I have to push this forward. Our kids deserve a safe and caring learning environment. Oh yes, my is child is on his 3rd teacher this year.
6 people found this helpful

Posted March 16, 2014
This school is the best school you could send your child to in Cumberland county. I am currently enrolled and I have been for 5 months now and I love it. The teachers give you the assistance you need to succeed in life and have a proper education . But to succeed you need to put in effort. They offer tutoring if you need and the have many benefits to help the community. They also have an amazing athletic department, soccer ,Softball, Baseball, Pep-squad,and basketball all open for both genders. Overall this is an amazing school.

Posted March 06, 2014
Alpha Academy in Fayetteville NC is, in my opinion, a sham. As a prior employee I can say from experience that the Administration does not seem to care about students/parents/teachers, condones bullying, and does not include parents in their so-called partnership. The Curriculum Superintendent is without an education in education. The communications within the Alpha Academy structure is terrible and there is an extreme deficit in the area of good leadership. This causes a huge turnover in teachers which weakens the Alpha Academy and this weakness shows in Alpha's dropping test scores. Alpha's teacher to student ratio has doubled since they moved to the Raeford Road location. Alpha puts huge and strong requirements on teachers and parents but does not give respect to either. The Alpha Academy difference is that it is their way or the highway and if parents or teachers do not like it, go back to the shoddy regular school system. The one shining star that I give this school is for the staff who puts up with a great deal of disrespect and chaos from the Administration Parents and teachers ~ Beware. You can do much better elsewhere. Hold out for the new charter schools coming in.
14 people found this helpful

Alpha Academy
907 Hay Street, Fayetteville, NC  28305
Last modified Alpha Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alpha Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top