785 students|Alpha Academy

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (2 responses)

Alpha Academy 4

Posted April 14, 2016
My daughter has thrived. She loves the teachers, S.T.E.M. program, and her grades have improved steadily since joining this year. Their enforcement of their policies is a bit frustrating at times. They are there to teach the students. The administration makes that clear from the beginning. They are not there to pat the kids on the head and tell them they are doing great today - but to teach. They don't coddle the students. If they don't earn their grades, they don't read at the required level, they are not promoted. They encourage the kids to resolve challenges and problems between themselves before they intervene - which is a great life skill to master. Are they perfect, no - but they don't portray themselves that way either. My daughter begged me to bring her back next year - so we will. This was certainly not the case for her school last year. They have had growing pains this year - their new addition was not completed on time. Other than lack of consistent enforcement of some of their policies, I have no complaints when it comes to my daughter's education there. She is safe, she feels safe, and she is encouraged to learn. She isn't made fun of for "being too smart" and continuing her development is a priority for my daughter's teacher. After her last school, I could not ask for anything more.

Alpha Academy 1

Posted April 10, 2016
This school's administrators and teachers are not licensed nor do they have applicable degrees relevant to the content they happen to be teaching. I don't understand how the state of North Carolina allows this to happen to our children. The school is very very disorganized and is total chaos!

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted April 01, 2016
It's hard to instill these values in students when some of the staff doesn't exhibit it themselves TO the students. Lead by example, right?

Alpha Academy 1

Posted March 07, 2016
I don't even know where to start. Alpha Academy looks accomplished structurally. Internally, it is nothing but caos. The focus is so far on expansion, that they are missing what's important; our kids education. The teachers I've encountered are not relatable to the students. The correspondence and behavior they display around the students is not conducive to any learning environment. Students are spoken down to, demeaned and it's simply unprofessional. They also have a hard time keeping teachers. My child went without permanency for quite sometimes and when a teacher finally came, it took over 2 months for me to meet them. To note, it was only because I kept pushing the issue. As an involved parent, I believe a parent-teacher relationship is imperative. It shouldn't take the assistant principles to be involved, but it does. Oh and please don't ask to speak to Mr. Slocum; he's too busy....working on expanding I guess. You have to continue to follow up or go up there. You have to make an appt just to sit and visit the class. They'll send home a note if your child forgets to wear a belt, but won't send a note if they are falling short academically. There isn't a lunchroom. The kids are stuck in the classroom all day and don't always go outside to burn off the energy. For my child's grade, they should have PE in her schedule. However, she doesn't. Today,my child comes home and tells me one of the teachers said to her "if you don't pay bills, you can't talk to me....if you're not on A/B honor roll, then you can't talk to me." Oh ok. So now my child needs a complex. To say I'm done is an understatement. I do not see growth with this school. There will not be a next year.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted March 07, 2016
Ms. Grimes. The best administrators in the school. She's professional and you can see that she cares. She understands the responsibility that she has to the teachers, children and parents. I appreciate that.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted March 07, 2016
In my experience, the teachers are ineffective and require continuous development with how to deal with children.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted March 07, 2016
For the grade my child is in, she does get reading and math homework every nite. Along with spelling for 20 words every week.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted March 07, 2016
Academically the school does well. That's great. But it's the how that is concerning to me.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted March 07, 2016
Dome of the faculty I've encountered are very respectful and expect the same if the students. Other correspond with students poorly.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted March 07, 2016
Faculty actions contradict this being possible. Children are so impressionable. They need to remember that.

8030 Raeford Road, Fayetteville, NC  28305
Last modified Alpha Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.