Fayetteville, NC
Students enrolled: 1,577

Posted October 27, 2014
I am worries about the safety of my child in this school and that the staff does not care when it comes to this. These kids need guidance and to be paid attention to. Parents concerns needs to be addressed and communication with them kept as a priority and there would not be so many death so far with these students at this school. I am disappointed in the academic program and the fact that the school is called an Arts school with no show for the Arts. I have had two children come out of the school one in 2010 and another in 2012 and I am ashamed of the staff the cheerleading squad director and how they have allowed the squad to cheer in a provocative manor in front of grown with suggestive moves. When they are only kids. They should not be doing what Colleges are doing. I have a son now attending this school because this is our district and I am trying hard to get him into a private school because I do not what his to come up dead because there are crazy kids who have no guidance killing each other over nothing. I hope that they can get another admin in the school like Mr. Miller because since he left the school has gotten worse.

Seventy-First High 3

Posted September 25, 2014
My child attends 71st school simply because I have no choice. I understand schools must have policies, but I don't agree that the principle can simply make up rules as they please. My child had his phone confiscated because it was in plan view, but was not using it. I do agree that my child was wrong and the school needed to confiscate the phone from him. The policy states that I as a parent can go to the front desk and claim the item which was confiscated. The school denied my request and never gave me the phone because the school made there own unofficial policy that they can keep for 5 days. My child is involved in many activities after school hours and on weekends , now I can not track him at all times and I feel the school has put him in danger because anything can go wrong. They said they would give me the phone but he will be suspended if I wanted the phone and added he can get kicked out of sports basically a threat. They were very rude and unprofessional which made the matter worse. I agree with implementing policies to control the kids but not making things up as they please.

Posted September 19, 2014
The staff there is so bad. They care nothing about the kids and change the rules for certain kids. I have had nothing but problems with the school. They need a new principal, he has done nothing but collect a check. I have contacted the school board and they just don't care about what he does. I have sat there and waited a hour to speak with him while he ate his breakfast on tax payers money. The worst I have ever seen that school is when he took over.

Posted January 14, 2014
As a former falcon c/o 99 My child is a freshman attending here and I am so tired of this administration and their so called rules. If a student doesn't do classwork or homework it's detention, then if they don't attend detention they get a write up for insubordination no I had to call the teacher (3) and verify this and they stated this is Mr.Williams policy so double jeopardy? I called the school board on his rule and this can not be done at all! He is the worse principle I have ever seen. His rules are bogus and don't work! So there is testing this week 1/13/14 state gave 4 hrs for testing why where they kids in one class allday! Then my child did not go to lunch until 2:05? Really 7hours in a class no water drink food nothing...nope I went to school and Mr.Porter with his unprofessional self says some classes didn't finish in time ... He was very unprofessional and uncaring about my concern. I called school board to investigate.I totally hate this school.they need a new administration....and they need to do a parent survey on how ghetto half the administration is especially the lady who answers the phones in the office and the lady who works check in and out so ghetto n hood .
3 people found this helpful

Posted November 25, 2013
My problem is with the administration. Two of the assistants Mrs. Griffin and and Mr. Bean do their jobs very well they always do a thorough investigation when they there is a problem. But that Principal Mr. Williams and the two assistants, Mr. Porter and Ms. Fleming do not care about the well being of the kids that go there. Their answer for everything is suspending the kids. Mr Williams does not know or care about what is going on in that school. If Mr. Porter and Ms. Fleming pay more attention to the kids and not each other they would have time to investigate when there are issues with the kids. I thought it was crazy that they had on matching sweaters today. How inappropriate when the kids already think they have something going on. They are messing up the future of the kids that want to go to college by having suspensions on their records for unnecessary things that could have been handled another way. Whatever happened to in school suspension and after school detention for minor infractions? Seventy First probably has suspended the most students this year than any other school. I wish there was a way that I could check that statistic.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 04, 2013
Unfortunately a great part of the staff don't seem to care about their students, students are very disrespectful, fights drugs and thief's are a norm.

Posted December 10, 2012
I've attended several basketball games at this school. After listening to the vulgar lyrics of Lil Wayne No Worries I was appalled. Google the lyrics to this song and you will understand why we have a disrespect for young ladies and teenage pregnancy. What does this say about the adults, so called leaders/teachers who is playing this song at the games to pump up their students. I'm totally unsure how this is allowed!!!!

Posted August 21, 2012
Here's a prime example of what is wrong with our school system. The current principal ranks as one of county's worst. Her one year contract is recently overrided for a four year one and the one who pushed for this action was the superintendent. It is obvious he doesn't have a clue about what is going on at this school or any other in this county. The solution to the "public school problem" is simple. Cut those $100,000 + positions at the board; most of them don't do anything. Fire inept administrators. Quit cutting the teachers and support staff; they're the ones doing all the work. On the state level, use the education lottery funds for what they were intended-education. The Fayetteville Observer should do an expose on what is going on inside the public schools of this county. Many heads would fly and it wouldn't be the ones working in the trenches.

Seventy-First High 5

Posted June 28, 2010
71st is a very good school. I always make good grades at 71st. The teachers and adults are caring and understanding. They always try to help you no matter what. 71st is a very safe school too.

Seventy-First High 0

Posted February 26, 2010
This isnt the worst school but it isnt the best school neither. my only complaint about this school is not only revolve around football and basketball so much. Theres other sports teams in this school but nobody really cares because they dont know about it. I think if the school put more funding and work into baseball, soccer, and other sports, we'll be a better school.

Seventy-First High
6764 Raeford Road, Fayetteville, NC  28304
Last modified Seventy-First High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Seventy-First High Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top