Bad
Good

From the rude office staff that talks to the parents like they're children to the lack of organization the learning curriculum seems to have I am extremely disappointed. I was told this school had a great reputation, too bad they're not living up to it. My child is not doing well at this school and I would suggest another elementary school to parents.

Under the leadership of the last principle, Mrs. Donna Van, the school had a number of teachers (visually observed) who treated both the parent, and children like they were an interruption of there day. However, she's gone. A wonderful person by the name of Dr. Diese, is now the principle. And that's based on her still being the wonderful, caring person I remembered her to be. At one time, the atmosphere was more militant than sociable. This was under the leadership of its previous principle. Particularly when it came to the children being able to interact with each other. The slightest movement, conversation, greeting of one child to the other, was met with a stern rebuke. How any awards were ever given to a child for helping another was always a surprise to me, because of the dictatorship of some teachers, when it came to the interaction of the children among themselves. As for as education, if you're not an intentional parent, whose involved in the education of your child, then there's a good chance of your little one slipping through the cracks. When my child attended this school I was told twice by two of the teachers that they didn't know how to teach the Common Core curriculum. I could say a lot more on that issue. So to all you wonderful parents out there with children who will attend this school, don't let the neighborhood the school is in create a false sense of educational well being. Don't be deceived by manners, and polite smiles. Get involved, and stay involved in your child's education and in the classroom. Don't wait to be invited either. Show up without alerting the teacher. Especially mid-day. You'd be surprised what you'll see.

I feel like my son is safe at this school. Very focused on fundraising, sometimes too much, but at least they are good about getting the kids what they need. I love the focus on teaching the kids manners and respect.

We initially selected this school based on the low enrollment, limited number of grade levels and previous reputation. The school was a terrible disappointment. The principal treated the children harshly and was extremely rude to the parents. There seems to be a genuine lack of care and concern about the children, their well being, and the quality of their education from the principal. Granted there are some excellent teachers but others seem more concerned about appearances and the latest styles in lieu of teaching. Many teachers do not teach physical education skills but spend their time sitting on top of the picnic table talking to each other while the children are giving very little supervision. After two years of this inadequate educational foundation we requested a change of schools for our child.

G.A. is small and safe and, as a Title I school, has programs like Fast Forward. However, G.A. offers little else. Physically, the playground is old and small, the equipment insufficient for the number of students, and little effort is made as far as landscaping. More importantly, the school offers no extracurricular activities to enrich the elementary experience. There are no after school clubs/sports and, aside from a few PTA events, few opportunities for students to gather outside school. Faculty is a mixed bag and the administration is unreceptive to investigating or intervening when there are issues. The PTA Board/SIT Team are appointed by the principal, not elected; thus parents really have no voice. Early in the year, my child's teacher drummed up business for the principal's husband's tutoring service where she charges $40 an hour for tutoring. I felt this was a conflict of interest.

I love this school. I was so impressed after I had been away from home for 8 months serving with the US army in Iraq and when I came back I listened to my 7 year old son ,Ali reading . We are originally from Iraq and have only been in the States for less than two years. And what I liked most about him he reads with a southern accent.

Two of our children have attended this school. It has a great community feeling. Academically, it's right on track for K-2 children, but have seen teachers are apt to handle higher and lower performing students. The teachers are dedicated and our children learned quickly. Both loved going to school here! Opportunities for all children - great Spanish program, as well as other resource subjects. Very safe.

Last modified Glendale Acres Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-2