Fremont, NC

School Official Point of View

December 26, 2007

Norwayne Middle School 2

Posted August 10, 2015
This school has teachers who act like they are the same age as the students. Kids don't need to know what their teachers did when they were young. Teachers are always absent. Some teachers are good, but some are bully's. The Principle is a bully himself. He doesn't like parents to help unless he asks. He is very demanding with is "its his way or the highway" attitude. If you are new to the community expect the family that has been here since birth to be chosen for all the awards and picked to play sports. Its a small town "who you know" type of school. The whole school district is this way. If you have a complaint you can go to the school board all you want and nothing will be done. Out of all the schools my children have attended the schools in Wayne County are by far the worst!

Norwayne Middle School 1

Posted May 10, 2013
Norwayne is Wayne County s dirty little secret. Everybody knows what goes on, but no one will do anything about it. When my child entered Northeast a couple of years ago, I was thrilled at the quality of education and staff. I was told to enjoy it and get prepared for middle school. That the principal was a tyrant. The school is run through fear. I wish I could go into details, but I will follow the websites guidelines. They told me the high school is great, just survive Norwayne first. I always thought people were exaggerating - then my child started going there last fall. This school is run like a reform school or a boot camp. I ve been told that complaining doesn t work. Turns out the county heads feel that type of discipline is good for middle school kids. I wish I had heeded the warnings and applied for the new alternative middle school that opened up. I didn t want the extra drive time. How silly that sounds now that I am stuck with helping my child survive the next 2 years or pay fro private school. Avoid this place, apply for Wayne School of Engineering s middle school program. The parents whose kids got accepted there say it is wonderful.

Norwayne Middle School 1

Posted September 22, 2010
This school is being run similar to a prison. The students do not get a recess to play or interact. Instead, they are marched around a designated field in single file line without any talking. During lunch, they can sit quietly in the cafeteria, or socialize in their classroom. The teachers don't seem to be very involved. My child comes home and I have to teach her the math lesson all over again because the teacher doesn't teach any part of it. She tells the students to go home and work out the problems, and then they discuss it the next day....bad theory. We live 10 minutes from the school, and my child has an hour and a half bus ride home, three to a seat. No talking and she can't get anything out of her bag, like homework. The school is overcrowded and falling apart. Big Mistake!

Norwayne Middle School 4

Posted May 21, 2010
Norwayne has programs in place to promote good behavior.

Norwayne Middle School 4

Posted February 22, 2010
We moved to Norwayne from an overseas DODD school. I was concerned when I first looked at the outside of the school, but after speaking to me about my child's abilities, they did a great job placing her in the appropriate team of 8th grade teachers. Her Language teacher was doing an excellent grammar program, and the Algebra I teacher was wonderful. I feel like they prepared her well for an accelerated high school program. The kids were frightened on the principal, but I liked his strict approach.

Norwayne Middle School 5

Posted June 15, 2007
I began my teaching career at Morwayne Middle School. I spent the first three years of my teaching career there. I am quite fortunate to have been a part of your Norwayne family. Norwayne's staff, students and parents were very caring and made everyone feel welcome. There was much emphasis on setting high expectations for all students to learn . We worked diligently to help everyone succeed. We had much fun as well. Everyone eagerly worked as a team. I thank Norwayne for igniting the enthusiasm that I still obtain today as a middle school teacher. Deann Mansfield- McDaniel Camden Middle School

Norwayne Middle School 3

Posted August 05, 2004
My middle daughter just began Norwayne this week. Her older sister is in her last year there as well. While I have found some teachers to be very tempermental and hard to work with, the majority are wonderfully adept at working not only with children but with parents as well. The office secretary makes you feel like a part of the school on the phone and in person. B. Wilkins comes with great reviews as a principal. My kids love attending school and I think that speaks the loudest in regard to this school. I am a previous student of Norwayne myself and I am proud to continue being a part of it through my children.

Norwayne Middle School
1394 Norwayne School Road, Fremont, NC  27830
Last modified Norwayne Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Norwayne Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top