Fuquay-Varina Elementary

Public | K-5 | 692 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 17, 2013

Fuquay Varina elementary was my daughters first school and she attended kindergarten there for two weeks. We were very disappointed in this school. I was informed, after the first week of school, that my child would have to walk by herself from drop off to her kindergarten classroom which just happened to be far past the upper elementary classrooms. We found the atmosphere to be unfriendly and unwelcoming. We didn't like her teacher at all and when we voiced our concerns (in a kind and diplomatic manner) to Dr so and so we were ignored. We visited another elementary school nearby and wound up buying a much more expensive home just so we would be in Willow Springs school district. We were VERY glad we did. Not only was WS friendlier and more welcoming but their academic scores were also higher than FV elementary. In all my time in North Carolina I never heard a negative comment regarding Willow Springs but heard many negative comments from parents whose children were attending Fuquay Varina.

Posted November 14, 2012

What a complete disappointment! Unless you have a perfect A student without learning disabilities don't bother sending your children to this school! The principal cares about nothing other then winning the distinctive school award. They have no time for a child with ADD or ADHD. I discovered only after I pulled my child from this school that my child has ADHD. My child attended kindergarten through half of the first then I pulled my child as they did nothing but bully and use my child as a tool to keep the rest of the class in line often separating off alone in a corner, instead of actually trying to figure out what was going on and try to teach! Shame on them!! Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Posted October 22, 2009

Our school system relocated us to a new school in our area which we LOVE. However, FVES was a great place to learn and grow for my daughter. All of the teachers and staff were outstanding! We go back to visit all the time!

Posted October 3, 2009

Fuquay Elementry has a wonderful team of teachers and staff. They are there fully to meet out expectations and needs of all parents and children in and out of the school. Teachers are very concerned about every childs learning ability, and work extra hard for everyone in the school.

Posted September 16, 2009

FVES is full of dedicated teachers who's only goal is to provide an excellent education in a safe, warm environment. This is our first year with the school, and in just a few weeks, our teachers have already shown our children that learning can be fun. Each person, from children, to parents, to teachers and administration is involved in creating an education experience here like no other!

Posted March 26, 2008

I am very happy with my child's experience at FVES. She is a first grader and loves her teacher. Ms. Kilbourn is very caring and patient. I wish the school was smaller, but with Wake County's growth, I think that smaller schools are a thing of the past. I also wish that students had music, art and foreign language classes more frequently.

Posted January 3, 2008

My son just started Kindergarten this year with Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Martin and is doing wonderfully! I, as most parents, was worried about sending him off to school, but Fuquay Elementary has helped make this a whole lot easier! He is learning a bunch and all of the faculty and staff are very friendly. Mrs. Brown is a wonderful Kindergarten teacher who is calm and patient with the kids, which makes all the difference. I am just thrilled with this school!

Posted September 16, 2007

FVES is an outstanding school! The principal, teachers, and staff really care about their students. We would like to go year round but we don't want to leave this school. The teachers and staff feel like family. The principal doesn't hide in his office. He's readily available when you have concerns and is always seen visiting the classes during the school day. We are very proud of our school and grateful for all they've done to help our children have a successful, memorable school year with each new year!

Posted September 12, 2007

Wow! Well organized, clean, safe, & welcoming environment for students & parents. Amazing for such a quickly growing area! Excellent communication, great activities, dynamic PTA, compassionate teachers, and responsive staff. Wonderful well rounded education with additional focus on technology & character development. We are glad to make FVES home for our children.

Posted May 24, 2007

We have 2 children at FVES and would like to let everyone know how Wake County School System has let us down with our daughter and her special needs. She needed to be tested at the beginning of school, but it was February before they begin working with her. There is a 90 day waiting period for some stupid ridiculous reason that the wonderful adminstation has setup.Our child is very bright,high IQ, hard working and kind to everyone. All she needed was a smaller class w/ early intervention. If you do not push the system Very Hard your child would not get any help until the last month of a school year when it is too late. I hope if anyone else of you all are having similiar problems that you 'Take The Time' and address Dr. Creech, he has helped us a great deal. Raleigh seems to know it all. ows

Posted April 25, 2007

I have two children in Kindergarten and both of them have outstanding teachers! I had written to the principal to request that my children not be placed in the same classroom and I requested that they be placed with teachers who had prior experience with my children's special needs, i.e., developmental delays, etc. Their placement could not have been better. They have both excelled this year and have already met their end of year goals. We love FVES and would like to convey that this first year in the public school system has been a wonderful experience for our family. The entire staff has been exceptional in every regard. I hope that next year goes just as well.

Posted January 30, 2007

I love this school. My daughter attended the Title1 program and reads anythign in her view. This is a great school with caring teachers and staff. Do let the outside discourage you from what's inside.

Posted September 13, 2004

My child had Mrs. Chapman last year and she is wonderful! This year is not so great, so far. I am learning very quickly how much having a great teacher means. It doesn't matter how great the school is if the teacher is not so good.

Posted May 19, 2004

My son is in Mrs. Chapman's class and he has improved dramatically with his learning. I truly recommand this school as being top notch in the district. The teachers that teach there really have their heart into the children and teaching them what they need to learn. What a wonderful classroom. Mrs. Chapman is excellent.

Posted May 3, 2004

My daughter is in Miss Vanderbur's kindergarten class and is doing great! Miss V is a great teacher. My daughter has learned more in kindergarten then I thought possible. She absolutely loves school and her teachers. We think FVES is a wonderful school. I do agree with the other mom who wrote a review. I also wish a co-op could be formed so that more parents (who have small children at home) could volunteer their time and help out where needed. I want to play a very active role in my childs education and would like to take part in class activities on occasion. I think being a parent, that is one of many important things you can do for your school age child. It is hard when you don't have someone available to watch your younger child so that you can volunteer your time.

Posted April 19, 2004

This is our childs 1st year at FVES. It has been a rude awaking of what public school is all about. There are to many children in one class to get the structure and attention each child needs. There needs to be a special class for the children who continuously act up and take time away from the children who want to learn and obey the rules. I have more to say, but I am only allowed 150 words. Hopefully next year will be better!

Posted January 15, 2004

My son is in Mrs. Chapman's Kindergarten class at this school. What a wonderful class and school. I am in and out of school frequently and it has always been so peaceful and organized. All the children seem to be really great and the staff is awesome. And parent participation is very evident. The PTA is great also. I have been very pleased and impressed with the curriculum and highly recommend this school.

Posted August 25, 2003

My daughter has just entered the first grade with Ms. Clarke as her teacher this year and she is very excited about what she will do this year. I just hope the enthusiasm will continue the whole year through. I know it helps a lot when the teachers are excited just like the students are. I look forward to being involved more this year too. I do wish we could form a childcare co-op at the school, so that mothers with other children could come help out more. I think it would be neat if we all could help each other out and keep each others children while we each had our turn at helping out our children's achievements in school. I have a friend whose children are over at Davis Drive Elementary and they have been doing this for a little while now and it is working out great. Parent participation is at a great level. If anyone has any input towards this, please let me know. We all want the best for our children's future.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

All Students63%

Proficient in English51%
Non-migrant51%
Academically gifted91%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students54%

• Mr Steven Moore
Fax number
  • (919) 557-2548

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now