Posted May 20, 2014
I love Polenta. My oldest child is in her second year here. I have not had any issues with communication between myself and my daughter's teacher, she always answers any questions or concerns I have. I am pretty happy my youngest will be attending in August and couldn't image them going elsewhere.

Posted February 08, 2014
This is my daughters third year at Polenta. The first year she was there we couldn't have been happier. Last year we started to notice a difference in communication to parents, and now this year communication is very minimum. My daughter has been struggling since the beginning of the year, and as much as I have called and emailed trying to get her help, it was not until I threatened to call the school board that I was able to get a conference. I was promised certain forms of help, only to have that not fulfilled at all. I have requested that the processes be done to get her into an IEP program, only to be given excuses of why she doesn't qualify even though we were receiving warning letters that our daughter may be retained in the same grade next year. It was not until we hired a tutor that is a teacher at another school, that could press the issues better than we could, to get the help we needed. She even let us know that we should not have been given the run around that we were given. I have saved every email so as to document as much conversations as possible. When you try to get help for your child the school goes into defense mode instead of help mode.

Posted February 27, 2013
Polenta is sub par school at best. The principal is very unreasonable and insensible and will always choose the side of the teacher even when the teacher is in the wrong. This is not leadership; a principal should always be impartial not biased. One of the teachers that my child had at Polenta was very uncaring and not the least bit nurturing. This school can afford fancy apparatuses however cannot afford a crossing guard to direct the unbearable traffic. The school helpers in the morning/afternoon who open up the car doors will avoid you if you re not white. Plenty of times my car has been bypassed and they opened the door for mainly the white children. This is definitely not a school for minorities. Being a parent you will not find out that your child is not performing at his/her best unless you see the progress report. I am truly dissatisfied with the principal and her always calling for money for the school but can t even listen to a parent in distress over their child unfair treatment and will disregard your feelings but is always willing to take your money for the good of the school.

Polenta Elementary 2

Posted November 04, 2012
Most of the staff and teachers are very nice. Unfortunately, my sons have not gotten nice teachers to teach them throughout their time at Polenta. When teachers are rude to me about my son, the principal tells me that I probably overreacted and took it the wrong way. My youngest son is in 5th grade and at the parent teacher conference, I was told by the teacher in front of my child that it'd be a miracle if he made it to highschool. I explained we're having him tested for a possible learning disability, she replied with, "No, he's fine. He's just lazy!" Everyone at this school loves my son, and talks him up whenever we see them in Wal-Mart. Except his current teacher and the principal, Ms. Johnson. And here I thought the previous principal, Mrs. Nettles, was bad. There is no comparison!

Posted August 27, 2012
I was uneasy about my son attending school being that he has special needs. When the teachers and staff saw how nervous I was. They were very helpful with calming me down and assuring me that my son was fine. I love the school, the teachers and the staff. I give Polenta Elelementary 5 stars becaue of my son. He runs to the bus (no problem here), He loves his classroom (improves through the year) and he comes home smiling!! When he is sad or not himself, we all work as a team to get him back on track. I love that students and staff are aware of my sons special needs and I did not notice this at school, I noticed it at the local Wal-Mart when he is greeted by staff (janitors and lunchroon personel) and students from other classes. They speak and htey know his name. I could imagine him being anywhere else except Polenta Elementary!!

Posted February 09, 2012
After my son has been here for 6 years including kindergarten, we are finally having true colors come from this school. The lack of communication from teachers, the vague expectations of the teachers and the lack of resources for children to learn are unheard of. I have been trying to have a teacher conference with my son's teacher and it seems like the hours are on their terms and there is no exceptions for people like myself that work night shift. A problem with a child seems to be brought to the parent's attention too late when they have dropped a grade or end of marking period before trying to figure out the problem. The principal seems to be more concerned with her EOG scores instead of fixing why the EOG scores are low. When approaching the principal she has no regard to parent concern. I am currently trying to sell my house to get out of this school district!

Posted May 25, 2011
I was new to the area this year PLUS my oldest was going to to Kindergarden and her teacher as made the whole experience wonderful. She is there anytime i need her evne if the questions are very silly. She answers her email within 12 hour. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL

Polenta Elementary 4

Posted April 05, 2010

Polenta Elementary 0

Posted April 09, 2009
Disrespectful administration. Inappropriate bus environment. Unchallenging curriculum.

Posted February 14, 2009
i love this school they are super nice and helpful

Polenta Elementary
Josephine Road, Garner, NC  27529
Last modified Polenta Elementary is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Polenta Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews.