PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My children have been at the school a number of years and while this school has experienced some growing pains,the teachers and the administration are effective in many positive ways. There have been many changes over the past 4 years but the school has now stabilized and the current principal has a vision to take the school to the next level by making the curriculum more challenging and allowing our children to learn to think for them selves. The teachers have once again joined together to create a loving and educationally challenging atmosphere. All of the teachers give many endless hours above their scheduled school day to ensure each child receives the assistance they need. This school does not just educate your child they consider each and every student part of their family. If one student a member of students family is struggling, the student body pulls together to assist the family in any way possible. I see the family atmosphere every day when I pick my children up. There is no such thing as a quick pick up my children have to stop give hugs and say good bye to each teacher and their friends. I can tell by the way my children talk about their day that they are very happy. My children know it is OK to not be perfect every day because they will always be accepted at SMCS. The school has recently went thru some physical transformation and looks amazing with new paint and enhanced security to ensure our children are safe while school is in session. I am so happy we chose this school 6 years ago and will be sad when my child graduates in the next few year.

"Teachers have commented that they are happy and feel supported by the administration."??? I don't know what school YOU are reviewing, but it's not St. Michael! This "administration" is responsible for the LOWEST enrollment in the history of the school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I have been impressed with the teachers and happy with the progress my children have made this year. Teachers have commented that they are happy and feel supported by the administration. They have been made part of the decision making process for new books and different ideas for the next school year. They feel valued and appreciated, which increases their ability to be effective in the classroom. Outside of the classroom, teachers coach sports and host clubs that give them the ability to connect with students on a different level.

Looks as though this has become a place to argue back and forth. If a school has this much drama on a website, we can only imagine what's going on inside the building. We received word that at least 6 faculty members are leaving. That's huge for a small school. Four of them were longtime employees. Three are retiring, and yet the new principal only made an effort to recognize one - not only did she announce it with a "mention", but with a separate letter and a celebration. Why did the other 2 not earn that same respect? If you will notice, all of the last 8 or 10 posts here are back and forth, either saying how bad this principal is for our school, or a defense for her. Something has gone awry. The enrollment is the LOWEST it's been in the history of the school! I hope our diocese replaces this principal before it's too late. To Mrs. Elmore and Mrs. Kiser...God bless you both. Thank you for all of YOUR years of service too, and your love and devotion to our children. You were the ones with true hands on with the love for our little ones. Your retirement is acknowledged too; if not by the school then by the parents of the children you've loved! If parents can't see what this principal is doing to St. Michaels, then your in denial. You are going to be devastated when the school closes its doors.

I remain a committed parent at this school. We have gone through some trying transitions. Four principals in four years with different personalities and goals have not been easy. This affected our enrollment but we are bouncing back! This year, our principal Mrs. LeVesque invited feedback from parents about what we wanted to see for our children. She also met with teachers over the summer to get their feedback on what they needed in the classroom. Knowing the changes in leadership we went through, she was very thoughtful in what changes were made this year. I have been very happy with the changes (morning dismissal procedure is an example) that she implemented. She is solid in her education background and the teachers love her. She supports them, mentors them and her door is always open. She is doing a great job and has provided the stability that this school desperately needed. She works tirelessly to market the school, give tours, hold meetings and communicate in a timely manner. She addresses any concerns that she becomes aware of. She supports parents, PTO and attends events such as the fall festival, father/daughter dance and winter concert. With the absence of leadership these past years, there are some parents that need to take a step back and stop thinking that they run the school. Mrs. LeVesque is very professional with demanding parents. She is fair and treats us all equal, whether the parent is a doctor or a housewife. My children love school and they love their teachers. There are many activities at the school for all types of interests and our PTO hosts fundraisers that support the entire school. After school clubs are very popular and include Lego, Chess and Robotics. This school has something for everyone.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers are very effective. Some teachers tutor before or after school and they are receptive to any concerns a parent may have. Teachers are happy and getting support from the administration to increase their knowledge base, especially in the area of technology.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Our students have an excellent reputation when they move on to their assigned or chosen high schools. They are placed in higher level classes (honors and AP) and teachers at the high school level comment on how well behaved and respectful they are.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is used to make sure students understand what is being taught. The middle school does a great job making sure that exams are not all scheduled on one day.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My family has had nothing less than great experiences with teachers that have helped them grow academically and personally.

Amount of homework: Agree

There is a fair amount of homework, but it is part of the reason students learn at a faster/advanced level.

Last modified St. Michael's Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8