Hunter Huss High School

Public | 9-12 | 959 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 30, 2013

Only High school in gaston county that offers the IB program, Huss is given a bad reputation because of the apartments that are located near it, some not even being in Huss district.

Posted April 30, 2013

I don't go to this school, I don't have kids who go to this school yet. I have spoken to students of this school as a volunteer and I live two blocks away so I see the students every day. Let's get the facts out on the table... Hunter Huss's graduation rate is rising. There has been a significant investment in re-facing the school building and improving the grounds. I noticed a sprinkler system being added the other day. These things take time, but kids do better if their surroundings are better. The future is promising. People will point the school doesn't have a racial majority. There are more non-white students than white students. I'll point out, this is true for the world and people need to get a grip on that. I'd like to see the school move to have a dress code. Some of the kids who go to the school could dress better and a dress code would eliminate some of the clothing choices from the equation. I was fortunate to visit an AP or IB class for Engineering week, I liked how those kids acted and behaved.

Posted November 3, 2010

Despite years of county neglect and efforts to undercut its IB program, Huss High succeeds in graduating thoughtful, learned, and impassioned students. Like so many urban schools it struggles with serving the lowest and highest achievers of its population. Thus, Huss' standardized test scores are middling at best. But tucked away behind these stats are committed, passionate, and informed teachers making a difference in my son's life. For that, I am eternally grateful. In consideration of full disclosure, I have another child at Highland Tech (another great are school; magnet school). However, the strength of the IB program at Huss dwarfs Highland's curriculum for college preparedness. For this reason, I recommend Huss.

Posted October 9, 2010

It has the best teachers and all around good atmosphere. It was the school i graduated from.

Posted June 12, 2010

Huss is not a terrible school. While there are a diversity of students from different backgrounds, the majority of the kids make a serious effort to challenge themselves. Huss is home of the only high school IB program in the district. The middle school program is at York Chester, so those kids end up at Huss. There are a wide variety of courses to offer. I think people judge schools like Huss based on hearsay and not from actually getting involved in the school and the community. Mrs. Farris and her team of administrators, teachers, and staff really showed that they love their Huskies this year as Huss dealt with several student deaths.

Posted September 16, 2009

I love hunter huss high school because the Teachers,and Principal's and the Staff Members,are friendly! And they really care about the students education.And they keep everything safe thier and make sure all the students get to class on time and safely.And of course every body has school spirt all the time for HHHS. Thats why I love HHHS!

Posted July 29, 2009

I graduated from hunter huss in 2003. Thanks to my algebra teacher Ms Ball who was one of the best support systems and doesnt even realize how much help she was to me through school I will now be walking across another stage to graduate with a degree in education from Belmont Abbey College. The teachers at huss are dedicated to helping students stay on the right path and be successful in life. The faculty and staff at Hunter Huss not only prepare students for success in school but in life as well.

Posted July 12, 2009

'Hunter Huss is a terrible school, the teachers care nothing for the students, the guidance councilors don't help. My daughter went there from freshman year to junior years and everyday inbetween she cam home crying.' How about you learn to spell a bit before insulting my school? I attend Hunter Huss and I'm an upcoming senior. I have never heard of any teachers 'caring nothing for the students.' The guidance counselors offer great help in working with us students on scholarships and our teachers help with everything in-between. Maybe it's not the school or the teachers that's your problem here. Every teacher I've ever had at this school has valued teaching everything there is to be taught while making sure we had a somewhat-enjoyable time learning it. They use innovative hands-on learning teaching skills to make sure the material is taught and applied. Hunter Huss is a great school.

Posted May 22, 2009

Posted August 20, 2008

This school has a fantastic principal, a dedicated and dynamic staff, a teaching methodology that respects and engages students, and a diverse population of kids that is its own lesson in tolerance, cooperation, and community. My son wants nothing else but to be a part of this school. Now, if we can only get those Gaston County funds to do what the voters intended with the buildings and grounds... that would be something!

Posted June 4, 2007

I graduated from Hunter Huss in 1979 and now have a son attending the International Baccalaureate program there. We came from the private sector and I questioned myself several times as to whether my husband and I had made the right decision. Without a doubt, we did! Our son loves Huss the teachers, students, athletic programs and coaches. He is finishing his freshman year and looking forward to next year already. I can t say enough about the teaching staff they genuinely care about the students and how they are progressing. If your child has a problem with a particular subject, you will get a phone call from that teacher and help with how to improve the learning experience. The communication between teachers/parents/students has been the key to our successful year at Huss. Thanks to all! Go Huskies!

Posted February 7, 2006

My mom went to Huss, I went to Huss and graduated in 88, and now my daughter goes there and has since freshman year, she loves this school, as well as I and she will graduate from there next year. I feel Hunter Huss is a great school,but my daughter says the new principal has taken step team and a couple other fun things from the students which she and I feel that the students deserve some fun things, school can't be all work then the kids get bored you have to pep it up and add life to it. even with this she still loves this school.

Posted September 6, 2004

We are in Forestview School District, and my son insisted on going to Hunter Huss is Freshman year. He is now a Sophomore, and we could not ask for anything better. From teachers, coaches, counselors, to office workers, this school is the best! I could not be any happier with the experiences that we have had thus far. I have & would recommend Hunter Huss to anyone who is thinking about attending here. They geniunely care about the kids, and the kids care about their teachers, classmates, and the school. School pride is great here, and after 1 visit, anyone could see why. Keep up the good work Hunter Huss!

Posted May 29, 2004

My stepfather Graduated from Hunter Huss in 1970, Now my son who will be a junior & my daughter who will be a sophmore during the 2004-2005.this is one of the bests high schools in the county, my daughter ranks 33 out of 337 studends in her class and my son 118 out of 227. We were planning on moving but my children are worried about not being able to atten Huss. They really love this school and the teachers. I myself was taught by a few of the teachers currently at Huss, so I know my children have good teachers,

Posted December 6, 2003

My daughter graduated from Huss last spring, 2003. She started at Huss her freshman year, and transferred to Highland only to return to Huss for her junior and senior years. She had excellent -- simply outstanding --teachers (including those who she did not have classes with)! The entire staff from principal to cafeteria workers were courteous, compassionate and encouraging to her. She graduated third in her class and is now embarking upon a new 'chapter' in her life at Wake Forest University. I now have a son at Huss. I wouldn't have him anywhere else. Someone is doing something right at Huss. Keep up the good work!

Posted August 22, 2003

Hunter Huss is an good school with good teachers and coaches and i'm very happy with my child going there

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2011.

258 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

Reading

Science

Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

255 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 82% in 2011.

137 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Civics and Economics

The state average for Civics and Economics was 80% in 2011.

263 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English I

The state average for English I was 83% in 2012.

297 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

258 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 77% in 2011.

94 students were tested at this school in 2011.

United States History

The state average for United States History was 82% in 2011.

206 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 71%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music