Gates County Senior High 3

Posted May 25, 2010
My daughter will be graduating this year and she has done very well here. The teachers are willing to work with each child to promote their best abilities. GCHS is a small school with great teachers. The only thing the school is lacking is the communication within the office. The administration is very unwilling to perform any administrative duties. Communication between the school and parents is VERY lacking. Notifications are not sent home in a timely manner from the office, if at all. The teachers are prompt at sending progress reports and notices home on the other hand. I would have to say GCHS is slightly above average when it comes to an overall rating.

Posted October 04, 2009
The pride that the kids are instilled with in their various activities and sports is incredible. There are some talented kids in Gates County and they deserve to have the resources neceassary to help them excel and know that they can achieve anything that they can dream.

Posted June 17, 2009
This school was great. I just graduated this past spring. Most of the teachers I had really cared about me and were concerned with me getting good grades. This school offers four AP courses which is really good for such a small school, and all of the AP teachers are well qualified to teach them. The distance learning program is probably the best thing out there. Where else will you be able to receive college credit at no cost? My four years at Gates County High School were great and now I look forward to going off to better things.

Gates County Senior High 2

Posted May 06, 2009

Posted December 16, 2008
GCHS is a great school that has provided my son with a wonderful education. For a small, rural school it offers many advanced placement courses and opportunities to take courses through the locall community college system. Because of these opportunities my son will enter NC State with 12 college credit hours. for the most part the faculty and staff have the best interest of my son at heart. As with all professions there are some teachers who should consider other fields of employment but overall our experience has been a positive one.

Gates County Senior High 1

Posted September 30, 2008

Posted September 19, 2008
My daughter is a Junior this year and she has been doing wonderful at this school. The teachers seem to be doing their jobs since she has been either on the principal's list or honor roll the entire time she has been at GCHS. We moved from Va. Beach to Gates County and the school seems to be right in line with the larger schools. I am pleased with this schools academics but the extra curricular could use a few more activities for the students.

Gates County Senior High 2

Posted September 18, 2008
The lack of clssses offered within certain guided programs such as the artist and construction programs has some serious problems. Many of the classes in these career proograms are no ling in existance. More music, business classes and a variety of art classes would allow the the expansion of growth for individuals who are not in to agriculture. I am not saying that any one program is bad, but stand behind the career goals your offer. I am sure most teachers would agree.

Gates County Senior High 5

Posted September 15, 2008
What a change, after several years of Central Middle School, GCHS is wonderful. It's great to have teachers who talk to you with concern and respect! I have a son who graduated in 2005 and is now a senior in college planning on chiropractic college. He was well prepared after GCHS. I have 2 more children there now. I too would like to see more extracurricular activities to choose from but having my children in a smaller, closer, more caring school is worth it.

Gates County Senior High 4

Posted September 02, 2008
Okay, I have read all the reviews about GCHS. Apparently, those who had negative comments must have been disgruntal parents or students. I am a 1985 graduate of GCHS and attended NC State University. At that time GCHS was behind on math and did not have the advance level courses as they do now. Now there are Honors classes, AP courses, lots of electives, and a wide variety of sports. Folks have to remember that this is a very small county and this school offers quite a bit considering the area we are located. Not many schools offers electives as Drama, Dance, Art, and we even have specific courses geared toward career pathways. I have a daughter who is Freshman this year, and I am totally impressed with what GCHS offers. The staff is excellent and willing to go the extra mile, BUT, the parents play a role as well!

Gates County Senior High
88 U.S. 158, Gatesville, NC  27938
Last modified Gates County Senior High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gates County Senior High Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top