Tommys Road Elementary School 3

Posted June 17, 2014
My child attended TRE from 2nd grade through 5th grade. Initially, we were very pleased with the school and environment, though my child was ahead academically from the school she attended previously. During the four years she attended TRE, we saw a definite decline across the board. My child's grades remained high, but she really didn't enjoy school anymore, there was just one situation after another we had to "deal" with. The parents, teachers and students all seem very unhappy and it was getting progressively worse. TRE earned a rating of 6 when my child started there, it is now a 3, quite a drop for a few short years. I'm glad our time ended there when it did.

Posted October 04, 2013
The school has a great PTA. Once a month they host a dance for the children were they sale pizza, juice/soda, and snacks. They also have a DJ for the children. My kids LOVE it! The teachers always keep you informed of your child progress.

Posted November 30, 2012
Both of my children have gone through the NC-Pre-K program at Tommy's Road. I have nothing negative at all to say about Mrs Reid or Mrs. Presson. They are wonderful nurturing teachers you take time for each child and help develop the skills they need for kindergarten. My daughter is currently in the program and loves going to school. My son this year is in kindergarten and I'm not impressed. We have a different home life, and my son stays elsewhere however the teacher NEVER notify's me when there is a problem, I NEVER receive paperwork or phone calls when something is wrong, even though it was clearly stated in the paperwork that I AM the one to be called first, and apparently there's been all kinds of problems. I'm also frustrated with the front door woman. As soon as those kids walk in the door she hounds them about hoods and hats, umm how about you let them come in get warmed up before you ask them to take them off. I never remove my child's hood since we have to sit in the front area with the open doors because it's freezing. I also don't care that she won't let 4 year olds sit on the bench behind her to get away from the cold and doors

Posted July 11, 2012
My child started Kindergarten this past year at TRE and we have had a wonderful experience. I was worried because I know NC and Goldsboro don't have the best schools but I recommend this school for anyone moving to the area. My child's teacher (Mrs. Langston) was wonderful and very nurturing. All the kids in her class were reading and writing simple stories by mid year. We are looking forward to next year. As far as other negative comments, I have not experienced any problems with not feeling welcomed or involved. Mrs. Langston always returned calls and emails quickly and gave lots of positive feedback throughout the year. I always felt welcome to come to school and eat lunch with my child and attend field trips. And as far as parking, if thats your biggest complaint about a school consider yourself very lucky.

Tommys Road Elementary School 5

Posted May 05, 2012
We moved here from overseas and were very worried about the quality of education in the NC public system, especially since the schools were so good there. However, we have been pleasantly surprised by TRE. Our son was in Kindergarten and has been so encouraged and supported by the teacher (Mrs. Jernigan) and assistant (Mrs. Buskey), and started reading and writing on a first grade level by mid-year. They are engaged, involved, fun, energetic and really care. As for the negative reviews about parking and Mrs. Hooks - I think she has worked out the "kinks" from transitioning and has been great and with over 600 students she was just trying to make the cars flow better before and after school - and it is working! We highly recommend this school for at least K-3 (no experience after that).

Tommys Road Elementary School 2

Posted February 12, 2012
I relocated my family to NC a few years ago and heard great things about TRE so much so that I became involved as a mentor and later appointed by the school board to the parental council. But a new principal (Wendy Hooks) arrived and the school is up side down!!! I can no longer walk my daughter to her class, I can't peak m y head in her class, my phone calls go unreturned, and teh parking is CRAZY!!!!I am so frustrated because we don;t live in the TRE area but send my child because it USED TO be a great school. My daugheters Kindergarten teacher was not great but the asst was awesome, 1st she had 2 great teachers now 3rd is leaving much to be desired!!!

Tommys Road Elementary School 2

Posted August 03, 2011
I must say that parents beware that it is vitally important from grade K-2 that your child should be receiving the NC curriculum not only in the classroom as a one time exposure, and never sending curriculum home for homework is ludercuris. Teachers needs to be more transparent and stop acting as if the child and parent are enemies. At that grade level, those teachers are leaving children behind by design. They are too defensive with thier poor approach. Teachers are the school not the pretty bldg.

Tommys Road Elementary School 5

Posted April 18, 2011
I am a student who goes here at TRE and I am leaving fo the Middle School this year. I truely miss Mrs. Faison, so we have Mrs. Hooks. I like her she is sweet even though its differernt, thats ok. Mrs. Emerson is so sweet. I'll miss everyone since I am going to Greenwood Midde School. So I will miss Tommy's Road Elementay! Mya S. a student 2006-2011

Tommys Road Elementary School 1

Posted March 30, 2011
The new principal made this school unfriendly. Parents can't walk the kids to classroom in the morning. Parent's aren't allowed to park in the parking lot, only can park outside of the fence area, muddy area. Some teachers and assistants just don't care.

Tommys Road Elementary School 3

Posted March 23, 2011
we moved here from up North mid year. My son is in the 5th grade and is bored. There are 4 fifth grade teachers and the one he got doesn't return phone calls. Not very impressed.

Tommys Road Elementary School
1150 Tommys Road, Goldsboro, NC  27534
Last modified Tommys Road Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tommys Road Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews.