Posted April 07, 2014
Our family has had a wonderful experience at The Greensboro Montessori School. I can't put it into words how meaningful it is for our 3 children to wake every morning and be happy to go to school. The teachers have offered our family tremendous support in making sure that our children are challenged academically and given extra support when they need it as well. We can see our children developing the intrinsic motivation, love of learning, and self-confidence that will serve them well as they enter into a world where they are not rewarded for participation.

Posted April 03, 2014
Greensboro Montessori is simply amazing. Every day, I take for granted the fantastic experiences and awesome things my kids are exposed to, but I was reminded of how truly fantastic the school was yesterday in two very important ways. Visiting the school for a community event that was open to the public, I was floored - once again - by the quality kids this school turns out. The Middle School students are poised, thoughtful young adults that are concerned about the world beyond themselves. Who doesn t want their children to be mindful, involved global citizens? While at the school, I also witnessed how kind, compassionate and caring the children of all ages are. Not expected to be, but just are. It is a bit of a change from the norm to put aside test scores and grades, but seeing these kids in action, I have no doubt that every graduate will be wildly successful.

Greensboro Montessori School 1

Posted February 27, 2014
This is a great place for Pre K and K that I would highly recommend. Things start to fall apart in first grade and progressively get worse. There is only a handful of kids that end up graduating the 8th grade and those shrink every year in between. We were shocked that our kids kept getting further and further behind their peers that are in the public school system. You'll hear things like "we teach concepts and fundamentals not how to take tests" but beware. The methodology in the curriculum is lacking to say the least. There's a subculture of kids who secretly taking Huntington tutoring which is close. Ironically, our kids in the first grade were graded on being a "Global Citizen". I would have preferred them to focus on reading, writing, maybe a number line and multiplication tables. This program will not prepare to compete on a global scale. The Headmaster just doesn't get it. Thank goodness for some of the teachers there or it would have been a total waste. It's a business and headcount is key so either the Headmaster will start listening to the teachers and the parents, the board will take some action or this place will vaporize altogether

Posted November 25, 2013
Our children have thrived at GMS! I can't imagine a more nurturing and creative learning environment for them. The teachers and administrators go out of their way to support and celebrate the unique needs and talents of both of my children, who are very different from one another. The head of school is approachable and always eager to help. Most days he greets us in the car pool line and gives my daughter a hug as she steps out of the car with her lunch box. My parent conferences with the teachers are always positive and constructive. But more than anything else, I really appreciate that the school as a whole encourages my kids to be kind and compassionate, to embrace diversity, to stand up for themselves and negotiate respectfully, to express their personal opinions confidently, and to think "outside the box!" Choosing GMS is the best decision that we have ever made for our children and our family! I only wish I had grown up in a school community like this one.

Posted September 26, 2013
I had high hopes for this school. The tuition is expensive and they take lots of days off. Not a friendly school for a home with working parents since you have to find alternate care when they are on a break or staff retreat. The interaction with the children was great. However, they love to tell you how to feed your child and parent.

Posted August 30, 2013
School has gone down hill. Lots of turnover (admin & faculty). Lacks accountability & leadership. Parent concerns often ignored. Poor communication. They are looking for a new head of school this year but it will take some time for a new head of school to figure out what needs to be changed and clean house.

Posted January 07, 2012
I just graduated from this school, and thanks to its ability to rise and meet the needs of an individual student, I was accepted into a vigorous New England boarding school. The teachers at all levels are very understanding and I have lifelong bonds with several of them. I couldn't have asked for a better school.

Posted May 20, 2011
This school is amazing! I highly recommend this school! This year every 8th grader who applied got into the highly competitive high school, Weaver Academy. This year, we also had several students accepted to ECG (Early College Guilford) and the Grimsley IB program! All of the teachers are great especially the Performance, Production and Music teacher. He is a great teacher and really prepares the students for high school. This school also has a great sports program for middle school. This includes soccer, flag football, volleyball, basketball, and cross country. The sports program is completely co-ed and everyone gets an equal amount of playing time no matter how skilled they are at the sport. I highly recommend this school! If you want your kid to learn a lot and have fun in the process send him/her here!

Posted July 08, 2010
This school has a complete lack of leadership and it shows in the way that situations are handled in the classroom, be it academic or personal behavior. The school as inconsistent in its delivery of instruction and in ensuring that individual student needs are met. Most troublesome is the complete lack of professionalism exhibited by the school directors and the teachers.

Posted March 01, 2009
My two daughters have attended GMS since their Elementary years and are now in Middle School. This is an excellent school. The children become independent learners, are self-reliant. If you want your child to become an independent thinker, this is the place to go.

Greensboro Montessori School
2856 Horse Pen Creek Road, Greensboro, NC  27410
Last modified Greensboro Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Greensboro Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews.