Greensboro, NC
Before care: Yes

Greensboro Montessori School 4

Posted October 19, 2014
I am a believer in the Montessori system. With commitment from home, there is no way, but, for your child to thrive and do well. Being competitive comes from the curiosity and logical thinking that is innate in children and only needs to be nurtured as they grow older. GMS, being a Montessori school follows the philosophy of Maria Montessori -"FOLLOW THE CHILD"; which only means giving each child her time, to excel in every new task presented. The teachers are competent and passionate about the system and the children. There is consistency once the child starts at the elementary level where teachers have spent a decade or more with the school. With a new head of school who has raised several Montessori schools, it is but a fresh and vibrant start for GMS. I would definitely recommend Greensboro Montessori School for families that believe in the capacity of their child/children and are committed to work alongside the teachers. Our 8th graders are mature, level-headed and responsible children (teenagers) that will surprise you with their clarity of thought on any given subject. We are here to stay!

Posted October 10, 2014
The Greensboro Montessori School offers a developmental approach towards education. There are hands-on materials with which children can learn independently an at their own pace. By following their own interests children have accountability for their learning process. By the eighth grade children have strong oral and written communication skills, a working knowledge of Spanish, a global perspective and have the right foundation to enter the high school of their choice. GMS graduates are confident students who seek academic challenges and try new things.

Posted September 29, 2014
We feel privileged to be a part of this community! The teachers and school leadership are focused on providing one-on-one, personalized education for our child and their communication with us is such that we feel as though we are a team focused on our child's education and development as an individual. The environment is completely set up to foster that development and within the curriculum much is focused on providing a holistic approach to raising, educating and developing future leaders by incorporating mentorship, diversity, environmental awareness, etc. The graduates of this school (goes through middle school) go on to some of the top programs and magnet schools for high school and college prep in the Triad.

Posted April 07, 2014
Our family has had a wonderful experience at The Greensboro Montessori School. I can't put it into words how meaningful it is for our 3 children to wake every morning and be happy to go to school. The teachers have offered our family tremendous support in making sure that our children are challenged academically and given extra support when they need it as well. We can see our children developing the intrinsic motivation, love of learning, and self-confidence that will serve them well as they enter into a world where they are not rewarded for participation.

Posted April 03, 2014
Greensboro Montessori is simply amazing. Every day, I take for granted the fantastic experiences and awesome things my kids are exposed to, but I was reminded of how truly fantastic the school was yesterday in two very important ways. Visiting the school for a community event that was open to the public, I was floored - once again - by the quality kids this school turns out. The Middle School students are poised, thoughtful young adults that are concerned about the world beyond themselves. Who doesn t want their children to be mindful, involved global citizens? While at the school, I also witnessed how kind, compassionate and caring the children of all ages are. Not expected to be, but just are. It is a bit of a change from the norm to put aside test scores and grades, but seeing these kids in action, I have no doubt that every graduate will be wildly successful.

Greensboro Montessori School 1

Posted February 27, 2014
This is a great place for Pre K and K that I would highly recommend. Things start to fall apart in first grade and progressively get worse. There is only a handful of kids that end up graduating the 8th grade and those shrink every year in between. We were shocked that our kids kept getting further and further behind their peers that are in the public school system. You'll hear things like "we teach concepts and fundamentals not how to take tests" but beware. The methodology in the curriculum is lacking to say the least. There's a subculture of kids who secretly taking Huntington tutoring which is close. Ironically, our kids in the first grade were graded on being a "Global Citizen". I would have preferred them to focus on reading, writing, maybe a number line and multiplication tables. This program will not prepare to compete on a global scale. The Headmaster just doesn't get it. Thank goodness for some of the teachers there or it would have been a total waste. It's a business and headcount is key so either the Headmaster will start listening to the teachers and the parents, the board will take some action or this place will vaporize altogether

Posted November 25, 2013
Our children have thrived at GMS! I can't imagine a more nurturing and creative learning environment for them. The teachers and administrators go out of their way to support and celebrate the unique needs and talents of both of my children, who are very different from one another. The head of school is approachable and always eager to help. Most days he greets us in the car pool line and gives my daughter a hug as she steps out of the car with her lunch box. My parent conferences with the teachers are always positive and constructive. But more than anything else, I really appreciate that the school as a whole encourages my kids to be kind and compassionate, to embrace diversity, to stand up for themselves and negotiate respectfully, to express their personal opinions confidently, and to think "outside the box!" Choosing GMS is the best decision that we have ever made for our children and our family! I only wish I had grown up in a school community like this one.

Greensboro Montessori School 2

Posted September 26, 2013
I had high hopes for this school. The tuition is expensive and they take lots of days off. Not a friendly school for a home with working parents since you have to find alternate care when they are on a break or staff retreat. The interaction with the children was great. However, they love to tell you how to feed your child and parent.

Greensboro Montessori School 2

Posted August 30, 2013
School has gone down hill. Lots of turnover (admin & faculty). Lacks accountability & leadership. Parent concerns often ignored. Poor communication. They are looking for a new head of school this year but it will take some time for a new head of school to figure out what needs to be changed and clean house.

Posted January 07, 2012
I just graduated from this school, and thanks to its ability to rise and meet the needs of an individual student, I was accepted into a vigorous New England boarding school. The teachers at all levels are very understanding and I have lifelong bonds with several of them. I couldn't have asked for a better school.

Greensboro Montessori School
2856 Horse Pen Creek Road, Greensboro, NC  27410
Last modified Greensboro Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Greensboro Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top