PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Greensboro Montessori School is not only providing a phenomenal education for my children, but also giving me the tools, resources and support community to be a better parent. Combined with years of classroom experience, my children's teachers also have Montessori credentials or college degrees in relevant subjects (e.g., psychology, counseling, etc.) or both which give them the applied skills, academic knowledge and educational strategies to guide my children in their academic, social, emotional and physical development. As a family, we also couldn't be more impressed with the Montessori approach. When I reflect on my own education, I realize most of my time spent in the classroom did not support the soft skills development necessary to succeed in the work force. Specifically, the rote textbook memorization and test taking are not reflective of the process, knowledge sharing or structure of any job I've ever held. In contrast, my young children are already learning life skills necessary for success both in the classroom and the working world: critical thinking, problem solving, conflict resolution, time management, prioritization, leadership, self-regulation, accountability, collaboration and personal confidence. When it comes to pure academics, we are also impressed. Montessori learning tools (called "materials") break down concepts in math, reading, writing, language and science in ways we only wish we had growing up. The materials look so foreign when you first visit a classroom, but once you see your children working with them, or have a lesson from a teacher on curriculum night or during a parent-teacher conference, you see and understand their brilliance in transferring concrete - and eventually abstract - concepts to your children. As our family grows with the school into the elementary years and beyond, we are looking forward to seeing how the Montessori approach builds on itself and how our children will continue to grow and flourish in this educational community. I believe it goes without saying, we would recommend Greensboro Montessori School to any family looking for an outstanding educational experience and community for their child or children.

GMS is a hidden gem. My daughter started at age two and attended for four years until our family moved out of state. We learned the hard way how fabulous GMS is now that we can't find anything comparable on all of Long Island! If you are looking for a school that produces self-confident, resourceful, motivated learners who show respect and empathy for others, then look no further than GMS.

Cold, Unprofessional, Chaotic Our toddler attended this school for 2 years, as recently as 2016. During this time we experienced several deeply concerning, unprofessional events, including: -The sharing of HIPAA-protected information by teachers, to parents who had no right or need to know such information. For example, I was told a detailed history of another toddler who was adopted and severely neglected as a baby. I did not ask, want, or need to know this information. It was a horrifying story and one that no one but the mother of that child has a right to know or share. Teachers frequently gossiped inappropriately with parents. - Teachers formed inappropriate relationships with parents; drinking, attending bachelorette parties, having play dates with select families children, Etc. Unfortunately, this translated into favoritism in the classroom and a culture of cliquey-ness, not to mention deeper concerns such as the above-mentioned inappropriate sharing of private student info. - Safety concerns brushed off. I asked that my pre-verbal daughter not be left alone with male staff after I found her in such a situation; I was verbally told, "women can abuse girls, too." The school DID finally say they would do their best to avoid such a situation happening again; no policy is in place. - Patronizing: I was told that it was "my 'work' as a mother" to "show confidence in the drop off process" (which at GMS is allowing your hysterically screaming 3 year old to be ripped from their car seat in a car line- dangerous - by the teacher - mother is to show no emotion nor assist). For 2 yrs, my child screamed hysterically at drop off. She woke at midnight begging me not to take her to school the next day. Her first words upon waking were "is it Saturday?!". At age 3. - Dishonest: An admin. called me to say "I just checked on your daughter, she was fine as soon as you left"- but I hadn't left yet; the admin had not checked on my child; the call came while I was observing; she was inconsolable, left alone behind a bookshelf for nearly an hour, literally stepped over by teachers. Heartless. After being diagnosed with a serious illness, I informed school of need to withdraw; school penalized us nearly $2000. Our child transformed immediately at her new school; she has no separation anxiety. I'm wracked with guilt and ashamed that we didn't leave GMS sooner

The school provides a loving and nurturing educational environment and also has a fabulous campus. The attention to detail is superb. For example, we were new to the school with our toddler, and three of the four teachers in his classroom, came to our home to meet him in his own environment for an hour. They played, sang songs, and got to know him. The end result was that on the first day of school he was more comfortable because he had already had a very positive interaction. Special touches like this permeated throughout the entire school year. They worked on him growing his independence and his learning - the total person. It is a fantastic school with an exceptional experience.

GMS has a special way of teaching our children to excel academically but also to be agents of social change. It's the community of a Quaker school, the focus on mathematics and language of a magnet school, the adventure of the great outdoors and the love of a family.

I am a believer in the Montessori system. With commitment from home, there is no way, but, for your child to thrive and do well. Being competitive comes from the curiosity and logical thinking that is innate in children and only needs to be nurtured as they grow older. GMS, being a Montessori school follows the philosophy of Maria Montessori -"FOLLOW THE CHILD"; which only means giving each child her time, to excel in every new task presented. The teachers are competent and passionate about the system and the children. There is consistency once the child starts at the elementary level where teachers have spent a decade or more with the school. With a new head of school who has raised several Montessori schools, it is but a fresh and vibrant start for GMS. I would definitely recommend Greensboro Montessori School for families that believe in the capacity of their child/children and are committed to work alongside the teachers. Our 8th graders are mature, level-headed and responsible children (teenagers) that will surprise you with their clarity of thought on any given subject. We are here to stay!

The Greensboro Montessori School offers a developmental approach towards education. There are hands-on materials with which children can learn independently an at their own pace. By following their own interests children have accountability for their learning process. By the eighth grade children have strong oral and written communication skills, a working knowledge of Spanish, a global perspective and have the right foundation to enter the high school of their choice. GMS graduates are confident students who seek academic challenges and try new things.

We feel privileged to be a part of this community! The teachers and school leadership are focused on providing one-on-one, personalized education for our child and their communication with us is such that we feel as though we are a team focused on our child's education and development as an individual. The environment is completely set up to foster that development and within the curriculum much is focused on providing a holistic approach to raising, educating and developing future leaders by incorporating mentorship, diversity, environmental awareness, etc. The graduates of this school (goes through middle school) go on to some of the top programs and magnet schools for high school and college prep in the Triad.

Our family has had a wonderful experience at The Greensboro Montessori School. I can't put it into words how meaningful it is for our 3 children to wake every morning and be happy to go to school. The teachers have offered our family tremendous support in making sure that our children are challenged academically and given extra support when they need it as well. We can see our children developing the intrinsic motivation, love of learning, and self-confidence that will serve them well as they enter into a world where they are not rewarded for participation.

Greensboro Montessori is simply amazing. Every day, I take for granted the fantastic experiences and awesome things my kids are exposed to, but I was reminded of how truly fantastic the school was yesterday in two very important ways. Visiting the school for a community event that was open to the public, I was floored - once again - by the quality kids this school turns out. The Middle School students are poised, thoughtful young adults that are concerned about the world beyond themselves. Who doesn t want their children to be mindful, involved global citizens? While at the school, I also witnessed how kind, compassionate and caring the children of all ages are. Not expected to be, but just are. It is a bit of a change from the norm to put aside test scores and grades, but seeing these kids in action, I have no doubt that every graduate will be wildly successful.

Last modified Greensboro Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8