Posted June 21, 2014
We moved here specifically for my child to go to this middles school, and this year was his first year attending. His 6th grade homeroom teacher was absolutely awful. She yelled, criticized, and I never spoke to one parent at the school that liked this teacher. On the flip side, he had a male teacher that was wonderful. I am thrilled this year is over, and really hope next year will be better.

Posted June 08, 2014
If I could give this school a lower rating than 1 star I would. This 6th grade year has been horrible for my child. There are several bad teachers here, but one of her main teachers is just awful. The yelling and insulting the students this teacher gets away with is unbelievable. I am so glad this year is over, what a bad way to start out middle school.

Kernodle Middle School 4

Posted September 26, 2013
My school is large but laid out well. Each class has their own wing. I have had two children at the school. Like any place there were strengths and weaknesses. As a parent you need to be your childs advocate. If I was asked to write this two years ago I would have given it one atar. We left for a charter school, came back with a different group of counselors and teachers and for us, it was a different school. Both my children were/are challenged: one has moved on to high school.

Kernodle Middle School 3

Posted November 17, 2012
My child had a terrible 6th grade year but good 7th and 8th grade years. I agree that many of the teachers are negative, unhappy, and seem to not really want to be there. I think it filters down from principal and front office staff. But there are some great ones as well. I'm shocked a principal with such terrible grammar was selected and a top educator at a middle school. It does not represent well at all. Overall not a bad school but I think some faculty changes are in order to get a better attitude throughout the school.

Posted September 21, 2012
My son is a student here. We moved to this district because Kernodle is ranked in the top 100 middle schools in the US. This school has been responsive to my son's individual needs and he is excelling there.

Posted August 26, 2012
Kernodle is a very mediocre school masquerading as above average. Teachers are indifferent and grumpy, the assignments are formula-driven, the principal nearly completely absent - the secretaries run things. Teachers are overworked and underpaid, and they give busywork, give lots of zeroes (they often lose work that's been turned in) and yell in an effort to appear rigorous. They seem to get very little support from the front office. The kids are extremely clique-y and exclusive, and everyone pretends not to notice. Its high academic scores are mostly possible because this school draws from an upper-class demographic to start with. When my child got to high school, the difference in the amount of attention and genuine warmth at the school as compared to Kernodle nearly blew us away - and that's at a high school of more than 1,500 students. KMS's buildings are new and clean, and the kids are rich. Those are its only advantages.

Posted October 14, 2011
Our son has excelled at Kernodle and is in the 7th grade. He is in advanced classes and all o fhis teachers have been encouraging and have pushed him to excel. The teachers have been great at communicating with parents as they send home weekly updates on assignments to keep us aware of the responsiblities that our children have. Our son is challenged everyday by the curriculum and that is exactly what we want. Wonderful school!

Posted June 27, 2011
The teachers are the strength of this school. My son was challenged and received a good education.

Posted September 23, 2010
Principal and Teachers do not talk to the parents and have little involvement with the students which I find surprising given the number of students. The attitude is not to bother them, they have enough to do.

Posted September 14, 2010
My grandson attended Kernodle for one year. He is a smart child and the adults in his life work hard to provide enrichment along with clear boundaries and limits. This school was awful--he became so depressed he started talking about suicide. As an example, he asked questions in class to better understand her lectures.. She threw a pad of sticky notes on his desk and told him to write his questions down. and not to ask any more questions. Later he saw her throw his questions away without looking at them. When his Mother tried to problemsolve with the teacher and principal their only solution was to medicate my grandson. This year we moved him to a private school which is a challenge for the family to pay for. He is now happy and well adjusted again as well as excited about learning again it's a sacrifice we will make.

Contact Information

3600 Drawbridge Parkway
Greensboro, NC 27410

School website

Kernodle Middle School
3600 Drawbridge Parkway, Greensboro, NC  27410
Last modified Kernodle Middle School is a public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kernodle Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews.