Greensboro, NC

Posted March 17, 2015
My kids have attended this school and unfortuntaley one more is still there. Front office staff are very irritable and DO NOT call if you forget your password for Parent Assist because the person that gets it back up and running for you is very condescending and talks to you like a child. The great teachers at this school are very few. Their are so many who seemed to be upset and intolerate of the students who struggle and in turn the students who struggle begin to give up and not care. My oldest son who graduated high school struggled in elementary school (don't get me going on Claxton and their terrible teachers) and 6 years ago the teachers at Kernodle really helped him and encouraged him. Not so for my other 3 kids. 2 had good grades but still they hated Kernodle and it is so sad that they will always remember the bad times and not the good. Unfortunaelty I still have my youngest who continues to struggle, who is talked down to daily and he has given up and I feel he will repeat the 6th grade for the 2nd time. If you have a child who is academically gifted then you should have no problem, if not, then your child will not have a good experience here.
2 people found this helpful

Posted June 21, 2014
We moved here specifically for my child to go to this middles school, and this year was his first year attending. His 6th grade homeroom teacher was absolutely awful. She yelled, criticized, and I never spoke to one parent at the school that liked this teacher. On the flip side, he had a male teacher that was wonderful. I am thrilled this year is over, and really hope next year will be better.
2 people found this helpful

Posted June 08, 2014
If I could give this school a lower rating than 1 star I would. This 6th grade year has been horrible for my child. There are several bad teachers here, but one of her main teachers is just awful. The yelling and insulting the students this teacher gets away with is unbelievable. I am so glad this year is over, what a bad way to start out middle school.

Kernodle Middle School 4

Posted September 26, 2013
My school is large but laid out well. Each class has their own wing. I have had two children at the school. Like any place there were strengths and weaknesses. As a parent you need to be your childs advocate. If I was asked to write this two years ago I would have given it one atar. We left for a charter school, came back with a different group of counselors and teachers and for us, it was a different school. Both my children were/are challenged: one has moved on to high school.

Kernodle Middle School 3

Posted November 17, 2012
My child had a terrible 6th grade year but good 7th and 8th grade years. I agree that many of the teachers are negative, unhappy, and seem to not really want to be there. I think it filters down from principal and front office staff. But there are some great ones as well. I'm shocked a principal with such terrible grammar was selected and a top educator at a middle school. It does not represent well at all. Overall not a bad school but I think some faculty changes are in order to get a better attitude throughout the school.

Posted September 21, 2012
My son is a student here. We moved to this district because Kernodle is ranked in the top 100 middle schools in the US. This school has been responsive to my son's individual needs and he is excelling there.

Posted August 26, 2012
Kernodle is a very mediocre school masquerading as above average. Teachers are indifferent and grumpy, the assignments are formula-driven, the principal nearly completely absent - the secretaries run things. Teachers are overworked and underpaid, and they give busywork, give lots of zeroes (they often lose work that's been turned in) and yell in an effort to appear rigorous. They seem to get very little support from the front office. The kids are extremely clique-y and exclusive, and everyone pretends not to notice. Its high academic scores are mostly possible because this school draws from an upper-class demographic to start with. When my child got to high school, the difference in the amount of attention and genuine warmth at the school as compared to Kernodle nearly blew us away - and that's at a high school of more than 1,500 students. KMS's buildings are new and clean, and the kids are rich. Those are its only advantages.

Posted October 14, 2011
Our son has excelled at Kernodle and is in the 7th grade. He is in advanced classes and all o fhis teachers have been encouraging and have pushed him to excel. The teachers have been great at communicating with parents as they send home weekly updates on assignments to keep us aware of the responsiblities that our children have. Our son is challenged everyday by the curriculum and that is exactly what we want. Wonderful school!

Posted June 27, 2011
The teachers are the strength of this school. My son was challenged and received a good education.

Posted September 23, 2010
Principal and Teachers do not talk to the parents and have little involvement with the students which I find surprising given the number of students. The attitude is not to bother them, they have enough to do.

Kernodle Middle School
3600 Drawbridge Parkway, Greensboro, NC  27410
Last modified Kernodle Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kernodle Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top