Posted May 04, 2014
We feel so blessed to have the opportunity to attend Cornerstone. We have been at Cornerstone since it's first year. We have three kids at the school. The school is amazingly organized for being less than 2 years old. The administration is willing to listen to ideas. For instance, there was a large group of 2nd graders in advanced math but did not pass a "Move up Math" test. Parents expressed their concern about the kids not being challenged enough by the 2nd grade math program. The administration decided to group the advanced learners during math time to challenge them more. They have since moved through the 2nd grade curriculum and are into 3rd grade lessons. The administration/office staff are helpful and truly care about the students. My kids love the morning assembly. It encourages the students to be involved in school activities, promotes character education values and teaches them about being part of something bigger than just their class. Our teachers have been a huge blessing to our family. Parents are encouraged to be very involved for classroom and lunchtime help. It is a great way to get to know the teachers and my kids friends better.

Cornerstone Charter Academy: A Challenge Foundation Academy 3

Posted February 26, 2014
2nd yr @ CCA. Good: 1) morning assembly. Advocated camaraderie/patriotism, 2) art/music/great teachers, 3) character ed, CCA is not just academics. Bad: 1) testing. Public schools have required state tests (EOGs). CCA has elected to also use NWEA's. The 1st yr NWEAs were 2x a year. The 2nd yr it was 3. This caused 5 standardized tests in 1 yr. NC added Read to Achieve for 3rd. Tho Charterss could opt out, CCA decided to require it. This made 6 standardized exams. The RtA requirements was a weekly component for the 2nd half of the year. A burden on the faculty, students & parents. 2) administration is not very approachable & the Director in yr 1 was very self absorbed. 3) Students:teachers. CCA needs more assistants or need to work with the local universities to have graduate & seniors to intern @ CCA to assist teachers & give small focus group instruction. Right now, we are sticking with it. I don't want to put my children through another change; otherwise, I would be moving them to St. Pius. Significant parent involvement. Not every parent is significantly involved. There is a band of parents who are hugely involved & volunteer regularly. 10% do 90%.

Posted January 26, 2014
Our family loves Cornerstone! This is our second year and my boys love going to school. The academic program and curriculum encourage my boys to do their best. Even in kindergarten they are bringing home homework. My son has improved leaps and bounds since starting last year. I tell everyone about how great this school is from teachers to the front office. We are very thankful we found them!

Posted September 06, 2013
We got the call that there was a space open for my daughter literally minutes after we dropped her off for her first day of kindergarten at a public school. We immediately accepted and even though it was hectic getting uniforms and more school supplies, we are so thankful we changed. From our first visit onward, everyone from the administration to the secretarys have been nothing but personable, friendly and caring. This is my daughter's 2nd week of kindergarten and she has had homework every night and has actually askd if she could do more math questions than were on the assignment! I also appreciate the level of parental involvement that is not only encouraged but expected. We look forward to many fulfulling years at CCA!

Posted August 22, 2013
Cornerstone Charter Academy is academically superior to most if not all elementary and middle schools in Guilford County. My older child attended a nearby traditional Guilford County public elementary school as well as a magnet school program for gifted students. No question...Cornerstone's academic program and curriculum are hands-down the best in the area. Even better than the education it provides is the atmosphere for learning Cornerstone students experience. Staff and teachers are friendly, enthusiastic and energetic. There are high expectations for student behavior and a strong commitment to character education. Parents and students are also very warm so that Cornerstone feels more like family than any other school I've been part of. The future addition of a high school program is a great advantage to Cornerstone because local traditional high schools are declining academically and severely lacking in character education along with lower expectations for behavior. Cornerstone will have the only charter high school program in Greensboro and it promises to be academically superior as well.

Posted August 17, 2013
I appreciate the education Cornerstone is giving my children. It is refreshing to stop in during the morning assembly (yes like schools once had) when I am dropping my sons off and watch the excitement each child has to come to school. My boys had been attending a good private school when we had the blessing of getting into Cornerstone and I must say they are now getting a better education academically.

Cornerstone Charter Academy: A Challenge Foundation Academy 4

Posted July 21, 2013
Love Cornerstone academic-wise, as does my son. However, some of the teachers are a little standoffish. Also, everytime I go into the office, little to no attention is paid to me because of the personal converations going on amongst office staff and parent volunteers. I don't get the warm fuzzy feeling I'd like when I come to the school, but my son doesn't complain so I'll just keep my mouth closed for the time being. I don't want to throw out the race card but that does appear to be an issue that I've observed. I would love to see more diversity in the teaching staff as well. Again, academic-wise CCA is a wonderful schoo that could stand a few changes maybe even diversity training.

Posted July 11, 2013
When we decided to start at Cornerstone, we had high expectations. Cornerstone's director, administration, teachers, staff, etc. have gone beyond our expectations! We couldn't be more pleased with the environment and education.

Posted July 10, 2013
This is a wonderful school with caring staff, supportive and involved parents, and an environment that fosters a love of learning for all children. The curriculum is fantastic and students are learning! I always saw teachers treating students fairly and equally. There is a zero tolerance bully policy that is for all grades. Parents are made aware of all the behavioral expectations for students before entering. Parents involvement is paramount. It is a great place for you if you want to be a part of your child's education rather than sitting on the sidelines. There is a sense of pride and community in the whole school. The director is ultimately directed by the board as the school was their vision. He had a very full year this year and made decisions based on the whole of the school and not individuals. The board's director was seen there daily and handled the best and worst situations with class. Truly an awesome school!

Cornerstone Charter Academy: A Challenge Foundation Academy 1

Posted June 05, 2013
I am a parent. The good things I like about this school are that lots of parents are involved and the curriculum. However, this school needs a lot of help. Here are some issues the school should address: (1) Students below 3rd grade are getitng suspended. (2) Classroom management is an issue. (3) Some teachers favor certain students and parents. Some teachers also favor girls over boys. (4) Some teachers need to learn how to teach and talk to boys, especially boys of color. (5) Some teachers need more education in child development. (6) The director/principal is unapproachable and lacks consideration for the concerns of parents and students. The director/principal has taken as hands off approach in regards to building relationships with parents and students and maintaining high levels of expectations for staff. This school fell well below my expectations.

Cornerstone Charter Academy: A Challenge Foundation Academy
2535 New Garden Road East, Greensboro, NC  27455
Last modified Cornerstone Charter Academy: A Challenge Foundation Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cornerstone Charter Academy: A Challenge Foundation Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews.