Posted August 26, 2013
All I know is if the same person who is in charge of the organization of the bus/cars is handling the school affairs, it's going to be an awful year!! This is my daughters first year here from another state, my first impression has been awful. Ive never seen a school more unorganized for the morning routine! Something needs to be done about pick up/drop off and buses, its ridiculous!!!

James Y Joyner Elementary School 1

Posted July 24, 2013
I attended Joyner Elementary School for fourth and fifth grade and can honestly say it was one of the worst experiences of my entire life. This school deserves nothing comparable to a star. I would give it zero if I could!

James Y Joyner Elementary School 5

Posted January 24, 2013
We have been at Joyner for 4 years now and have been very pleased! The principal, Mrs. Ebbs, has done a great job and knows the kids by name. As a matter of fact, all the teachers know the kids by name. The teachers I have had experience with have been caring towards the kids and my child is very comfortable there. I would suggest that parents get more involved--PTA, volunteering, etc. That's how you really get to see what a school and its staff are like.

James Y Joyner Elementary School 4

Posted November 30, 2011
My child started kindergarten at Joyner this year and I am pleased so far. He has a great teacher and my concerns with his early reading struggles have all but vanished under her instruction. I have not had much one on one with the administration but things have never seemed amiss in that dept. I had some trouble with their bus routes and the parking situation is totally ridiculous or nonexistant i should say and the entire facility seems in need of a facelift. If you are aconcerned parent worrying about the bad reviews on here I would not get too upset. so often disgruntled individuals negatively review things and the other end of the spectrum is not heard. I am pleased as a whole with joyner as well as their after school aces program. My child's growing mind is being fostered in an environment one would bepleasantly surprised to find in a public school scenario.

Posted April 07, 2011
I have been at Joyner for 7 years and i have watched teachers come and go but this is the first year that i can say that i want my children to go somewhere else. The principal is cold and all she does is stay in her office on her computer. The new teachers yell and the only thing that i can say that is good this year is the PTA. They have planned great events this year. If they don't switch principals again we will loose have of our students.

James Y Joyner Elementary School 4

Posted February 13, 2011
My children have been in 3 other schools, and it is obvious that the staff at Joyner are the hardest working and most dedicated people who truly care for my children, as well as for all of the students. My children have been lucky enough to have had most of the teachers in the building throughout the years and I can truly attest to this. Each of my children was treated as an individual and though they were not always in the top of their classes, they were challenged and grew. The new principal is warm and welcoming and has a wealth of knowledge about what kids should be learning. She addresses concerns and is very approachable. I love the parent programs that have been offered this year, too. It is sad that more parents don't take advantage of these opportunities and become involved in the school. I wouldn't send my children anywhere else, though.

Posted January 20, 2011
This school changes staff like they change socks...which is good, because they are all incompetent. I have dealt with WITNESSING a teacher yell at my kids over leaving a gap in seats at breakfast, and looking at them in a threatening way...they won't even GO to breakfast any more! She is hispanic and, favors hispanic children, hugging them and helping them, while the other students get yelled at and treated like dirt. I have a pretty good luck with the teachers but the new principal is just RIDICULOUS. She comments every report card, and if the grades are not up to HER par, she will say things that SOME kids would take to heart!!! My child is L.D., and she told her "SHE CAN DO BETTER!!!!" She doesn't even KNOW the students she is writing to, or their background and what the have had to deal with in life! She has been there since August!!! She no longer allows children to have treats for their b-days..she is a HUGE CONTROL FREAK!!! I ONLY give this school a 2 because of the FEW teachers that really love their students FROM THE HEART...but that is personal..it gives no credit to anyone else....

Posted May 19, 2010
I have not been very happy with this school. They moved kids all around at the beginning of the year causing alot of stress on my kindergardener. Communication is not good. Sometimes we get letters the day before events. Teachers seem to do the minimum and the principal hasn't been real helpful. I do not plan to send my kids here next year!

James Y Joyner Elementary School 0

Posted April 26, 2010
Joyner Elementary is a GREAT school because of the wonderful staff and the time they take to make sure the school is running smoothly and the communication lines are always open and the children are PRIORITY #1.

James Y Joyner Elementary School 1

Posted September 05, 2009
Joyner is now an opt-out school for at least 3 other GSO schools, further detracting attention from avg. and above avg. kids. Teachers are too busy with kids who need help with basic competencies to address 'middle-of-the-road' or higher levels. The teachers are an asset but the principal is abominable. Joyner continues to deteriorate since 2007.

James Y Joyner Elementary School
3300 Normandy Road, Greensboro, NC  27408
(336) 545-2020
Last modified James Y Joyner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James Y Joyner Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top