Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Peeler Open Elementary 2

Posted March 10, 2016
I am a parent of a 5th grade student at Peeler. We have been there for 5 years. We loved the school and so did my daughter in the beginning but over time many things have slipped and finally this year the school is just not the same as it was. Peeler has lost multiple teachers this year leaving from the beginning the year up to December of 2015. The lost one whole grade level of teachers. They are doing blanket punishment for transgressions. The use to do really nice PACE nights (Performing Arts Community Events) where all the grade levels shared at least one of the arts. However to date this school year some classes have yet to have an art sharing. Some may not share at all this year. The communication was not the best in previous years but it is horrible now. Changes are made and parents are not informed. The school use to have a community feel but with the recent changes to morning drop off and picking kids up parents do not have a chance to connect with each other or even wave at their child's teacher. I can only hope things will change.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted March 10, 2016
They have some absolutely AMAZING teachers and some marginal teachers. I feel several fantastic teachers have had their wings clipped this year due to the principal's interpretation of the DOE requirements.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted March 10, 2016
Homework is usually given on a weekly basis. A student has an entire week to finish the homework before it is to be turned in.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted March 10, 2016
I can not answer this question because I have no experience with how teachers develop grit and determination in their students.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted March 10, 2016
I think they use to do a great job teaching respect. This year they have done a great job of not respecting students thus students aren't respecting each other or the staff.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted March 10, 2016
In some classes teachers do a great job of having kids participate in projects where they learn about compassion and caring for others. In other classes not so much.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted March 10, 2016
In previous years yes they did a great job, I am unsure about this school year. 2015-2016

Peeler Open Elementary 1

Posted June 09, 2014
I have been at Peeler for a year now. I have both a K-1 child and a 3rd grader. I was very proud of my k-1 teacher but not so much at my 3rd grade teacher. I am a parent who believes that children have to also be taught at home but with my 3rd grader, I felt as if I was the only one doing the teaching. Many times I went to the school and the teacher had no control of the class. My child was ill-prepared for the EOG's although we helped at home. I thought this school to be very helpful for my children but the only thing that I still like about the school is the wonderful performing arts program. Other than that the school really needs some help. The principal, like others have said in these reviews is inefficient at his job and should be replaced.

Peeler Open Elementary 4

Posted April 21, 2014
I think all of the school systems in the entire country are struggling with bullying. I do not feel that this problem is unique to Peeler; more of a symptom of families struggling in a tough economy. When I have expressed a concern to the principal, he has handled it immediately & with finesse. In the past several years we have seen legislation & practices adopted by the school board that have made it difficult to embrace a true "open school" philosophy. I think the principal & staff work very hard to live up to the school's OS philosophy while integrating an ever-changing curriculum. At Peeler we have teachers willing to participate in a variety of after-school clubs, a men's group that mentors struggling male students & does a lot of other work, a PTA that adds much to the richness of life for the entire Peeler community, an outstanding group of arts teachers, a garden and kitchen laboratory, a great librarian ... I think many of the problems referenced in other reviews are universal. I feel very fortunate to be a part of a school where it is possible to have a rich learning experience & encounter positive role models; something a lot of kids these days aren t finding at home.

Peeler Open Elementary 1

Posted March 09, 2014
I am a grandparent of two students at Peeler. I am very concerned for the safety of my family at this school. The administration is not addressing behavioral issues of students sent to the office by teachers and concerns of the bullying voiced by the students. During the day academics are hard to addresses due to the two hours of instructional time taken out of the day for specials and morning meeting. Although this school has spent thousands on training teachers the Responsive Classroom concepts, the administration does not follow the concept nor does he adhere to the student handbook that specifically addresses discipline consequences. When a student has been sent to the office multiple times in one day, for incidences of physical aggression, and sent to a different teachers' classroom after each incident without any consequences, how can I expect that my grandchildren can be safe in such a disruptive environment. We need new administration.

2200 Randall Street, Greensboro, NC  27401
Last modified Peeler Open Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.