Greensboro, NC
Students enrolled: 1,225

Posted November 08, 2014
My son is a student in the A.P. Academy at Western High. This is an outstanding program in a top-notch school. We bought our current house in order to be in the Kernodle Middle School district (it had just been named among the top 100 middle schools in the nation). Gaining the new AP Academy in our districted high school last year was just a bonus. Guilford County has many magnet programs and this one received the most applications last year. The principal at Western High is the best I've ever seen. He truly cares about each student and he advocates on their behalf. Mr. Kashubara attracts great teachers who are committed to excellence in the classroom. As a U.Va. grad, I was looking for a school with a strong track record among both in-state and out of state college admissions officers. Western High is among the top three high schools in the county in this regard.

Posted August 10, 2014
Just moved to the district and have heard terrific things! Previous students spoke highly of the school and articulated their points clearly.

Western Guilford High School 3

Posted May 17, 2014
The Math department at Western has been struggling for the past few years, which is apparent in the school's well below par math scores. Pre-calculus, calculus and statistics classes desperately need much more qualified teachers. The school has the students with interest and motivation, but the Math department has yet to find good teachers. French 4 is a joke and the students teach themselves in the back of the classroom during a lower level class. The English, Social Studies and History departments are strong. This is a school with a very diverse population, ethnically and socioeconomically, so we struggle for the resources to meet the needs of our diverse population.

Western Guilford High School 4

Posted May 17, 2014
Western is a school on the rise with a strong administration and and active PTSO. Many teachers and coaches are dedicated to their students education and willing to go the extra mile to encourage them to succeed. The guidance department offered little help with college applications, no more than was already available on the internet, and did not send transcripts and reports to colleges when asked by the student and by the parent. We had to be informed by the college they did not receive the information and we had to request it again. Overall, a good school but guidance needs to step it up for high achieving students.

Western Guilford High School 4

Posted November 14, 2013
I'm a 2008 grad. Mr. Armstrong was the principal then, his 2nd year I think. He was phenomenal, really got to know the students and didn't let any BS slide with students or teachers. Hopefully he's still there or has gone up county the administration ladder. I had some great teachers who I hope are still there--Mrs. Wilson for French, Mrs. Rose for AP English 12, Mrs. Culclasure for AP English 11, Gordon for AP US History, Coach Wilson for Marketing, and every art teacher I ever had there. Alot of people in my class including myself got into top universities such as UVA, Duke, Chapel Hill, Vanderbilt, etc. There are many sports, clubs, and leadership opportunities. My one complaint is not a lot of emphasis on the arts; well, let me say, not a lot of diversity. The guidance counselors' didn't help any more than the internet did when applying to colleges. Also the class set up changed from Block (4 different 90-minute classes per semester) to traditional (6 55-minute classes all year) for my junior and senior year, which kind of messed up some of my class plans. Overall great school if you use every resource available, and there are plenty.

Posted September 24, 2013
There are not enough words to describe how pleased I am with Western. This is our 4th year there. We have an incredible principal and a staff that is willing to make Western the best high school in the state. It is a very close knit community and a place that is very easy to get involved. I have two sons at Western and they love it. There are plenty of clubs and sports and other ways to get involved. We also have a great selection of classes to choose from at the AP level. Come take a tour and see for yourself that Western Guilford is a school that can't be beat.

Posted September 23, 2013
I have two children currently attending Western High school and one who graduated last year. We have been very satisfied with the education that our children have been receiving. I have found the administration and staff very efficient and willing to listen. The teachers are very supportive and offer free tutoring after school if needed by students. My children enjoy the diversity in our school and they feel like they know everyone. I highly recommend Western Guilford to everyone!

Posted September 16, 2013
This is the fifth year I have had 1 to 3 students at WGHS. I have watched the school go from a school that was overlooked by the county for reasons it deserved to a school that continues to strive to build itself up and achieve at the highest levels along with many other schools in the area, yet continue to be overlooked. The teachers who were here just resting were removed and replaced with those interested in helping our children in reaching their highest potential. The Principal, the staff, the PTSO and the Families at large work hard to improve this school and find ways to assist our students with their academic, technical, athletic, musical and artistic achievements.

Posted September 14, 2013
As the parent of a senior and a freshman, I cannot imagine sending my children to any other high school in this city. It is a small, close-knit community where students can shine and rise to their individual potential in a safe environment without being a number. The teachers and administration seem to know all of the students and truly care about their success. We are pleased with the high number of AP course offerings (and success rates on the AP tests) as well as the extracurriculars available to our students. For those interested in music, our band/orchestra and choral teachers are top-notch and the students love them. We feel like Western is one of the best-kept secrets in Guilford County.

Posted September 13, 2013
Our school not only surpasses the others we have toured in the academic sense; Western also far exceeds them in 'customer service', promoting a welcoming, positive environment to everyone; prospective and current students, parents, and to the staff. From the top down, everyone wants to be a part of the growth and excitement at WGHS. With the arrival of a new principal over three years ago, the entire school atmosphere is charged and the enthusiasm is contagious. Communication is key at Western. This is the school to choose if you want not only rigorous AP classes where your child is challenged and able to receive incredible scholarship dollars with top college acceptances- but also, the school where ALL students and their families are treated with respect and genuine concern for their well being, Your input and suggestions matter. Our sophomore is thriving here; academically and in sports and service. PTSO encourages involvement; from tailgates to art shows - you are welcomed here. Stop by for a visit; you'll see. The things that matter most for a well rounded student are here. We love attending our 'neighborhood school' knowing that it is the best kept secret in town.

Western Guilford High School
409 Friendway Road, Greensboro, NC  27410
Last modified Western Guilford High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Western Guilford High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top