Posted September 06, 2013
We have been at STES for 4 years now and we have always loved the school!! Teachers and staff have always been very welcoming! We have LOVED each and every teacher we have had! My son was challenged on certain subjects he excelled at... If I didn't feel like he was challenged enough I simply picked an activity for us to do at home. As a parent I am involved beyond helping my kid with "just his homework"... We have been very pleased! Those that comment on the "being on the in crowd" I just don't see that??? Try volunteering or get involved... I can not be that active in school because of work, but when I get a chance I just go...after all you are there for you child not some social high school gathering, so why care what others are doing?? I think the opportunities for parent involvement was great! Communication between teacher/parent/student/ and school is organized. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL! I have nothing bad to say! I have never had a problem with any one so I can't comment on what others have said. The Music teacher is AWESOME and the teachers that we had (Christian for K, Bridgers-1st, Rosenstock-2nd) Were GREAT!!!

South Topsail Elementary School 1

Posted June 05, 2013
This is by far the worst school my children have ever attended. I have been disappointed time and time again with every aspect of this school. STES cares about test scores and nothing else. They dont care if your child actually learns anything all year other than how to get a high score on the standardized tests. This school has a horrible bullying problem and they always blame the victim and never actually do anything to solve the problem. The principal can not be trusted, she has lied right to my face multiple times. The teachers that I have dealt with over the past few years at this school are not happy with their jobs. The scream and yell and degrade the students. It is a very scary, negative learning environment and my children went from loving school to dreading it and begging to go back to their old school. You have to be part of the "in" crowd to be involved in the PTA. They are not very welcoming to new people. I would advise all parents looking for a good school for their kids to look elsewhere. I wish someone could have warned me about what we were in for with STES. I now have to sell my house and move to get my kids out of this horrible school.

Posted May 23, 2013
We moved to the area in December and my children started to school after the break. We have been more than thrilled with our expeierence at STES! The staff has been very welcoming and inviting to both students and parents. STES staff members are very supportive and strive for the best for the students. Both of my childrens' teachers work with them on their level without me having to ask them to. The principal has taken the time to meet with parents about upcoming changes to the curriculum and testing. I can not be more proud to say we are part of the Stingray family!

South Topsail Elementary School 2

Posted May 03, 2013
My children attended school at STES for two years. We did not have a very good experience and as result, we have since moved to another district. There is a lot of inconsistency from one class to another and from one teacher to another. Some teachers were very kind and passionate about learning; they truly went the extra mile for students. Other teachers showed favoritism to certain students. Hampstead is a small town and we found that some of the adults (teachers and PTO members) are very 'clicky' and despite our best efforts to get involved we felt like outsiders. One of our children has a learning disability. The special education staff came across as being uneducated. They were not current with best practices and did not take our child's unique needs into consideration. Our child was given a 'one-size-fits-all' program and when we asked questions of the special ed teacher and the special ed chair we were met with rudeness and hostility. I would not recommend this school or district if you have a child who learns differently.

South Topsail Elementary School 1

Posted February 25, 2013
Things have obviously changed. Sadly enough, when I was looking to move into this area of the state, I used this very website to gauge where we wanted to live. I wish someone had brought to my attention that all these reviews were rather old. Anyone hear the phrase "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?" Although most of the teachers I've had experience with are personable, I am concerned for my child's quality of education. Having been in several schools in state and out of state while trying to settle on one spot, this by far is nothing short of embarrassing! They do seem to care, but so far, my experience has been "lip service" only. When I talk with our current teacher, I try to explain what is going on at home in order to explain some difficulty. Instead of finding a middle ground/alternative, it made life worse for my child in the classroom. I have no patience for an adult who can make rude comments to a child in front of the class and still expect said child to perform. Very disappointed! I wish there were a GOOD alternative to this school without having to pay for private or homeschool. The best thing out of STES is the music teacher!

Posted December 05, 2010
Our Child has been in this school for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd grade. Each teacher he has had has been excellent ! They communicate and work with the parents very closely and take individual interest in each student's needs. The teachers are experienced and seem very happy teaching here. Our son's teachers have all been Nationally Certified & highly qualified teachers. The principal is easy to work with and makes herself and her staff accessible to the students & parents. In our opinion a very good administrator. We highly recommend this school.

Posted September 23, 2010
Every teacher I have met at this school is passionate about teaching. They seem to really care about my son and are willing to provide the extra help he needs to be successful.

South Topsail Elementary School 3

Posted February 22, 2010
This place has definitely improved. I do think it could use a vast improvement in the art area and all teachers should really have their master's and be paid accordingly. I'm dreaming right? All in all it is OK, but when you're just comparing it to schools in NC, OK is just not good enough. We may move.

Posted January 25, 2010

South Topsail Elementary School 3

Posted January 13, 2010
I have had children at this school for several years now. This is the first year they have not leveled the children for math and reading and I am not a fan. They argued that only the advanced children benefited from leveled classes, I would argue that it is the advanced students who are being left behind by not leveling the classes. I have a child in the first grade who is advanced in both reading and math. The teacher is trying her best to keep him challenged in reading but he is bored beyond belief with math. They need to do a better job overall in meeting the needs of all of the students and not just a specific population. South Topsail has some terrific teachers - as with anything though, there is always at least one bad apple in the bunch. Watch out in 3rd grade!

South Topsail Elementary School
997 Hoover Road, Hampstead, NC  28443
Last modified South Topsail Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Topsail Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top